Heresy iii vs Academy as center channel

S+J

Hey so I will be having heresy iii as my left and right front speakers. Would I be better off getting a used Klipsch Academy or is the Heresy iii as a center channel that much better? I am planning on building a custom tv stand this summer so I will be able to accommodate the size of the Heresy!

• Like 1

Hey so I will be having heresy iii as my left and right front speakers. Would I be better off getting a used Klipsch Academy or is the Heresy iii as a center channel that much better? I am planning on building a custom tv stand this summer so I will be able to accommodate the size of the Heresy!

A third Heresy III - nothing better than that!!!!! 

That's a great question. I guess I was just initially planning on building the new tv stand the same height as my old one. And with the risers on the heresy it is a bit taller. How much shorter will the heresy be without the risers?

• Moderators

I agree with everyone on this, nothing is better for a center than a perfect match across the front. A long time a go I asked a similar question and was told to the same as what everyone is saying, until I tried it I didn't realize how important it is. 

I would guess the riser is about 1 1/2"-2", that's a guess because I don't have risers on either pair anymore.

That's a great question. I guess I was just initially planning on building the new tv stand the same height as my old one. And with the risers on the heresy it is a bit taller. How much shorter will the heresy be without the risers?

I think the idea is to have the speaker tilted to you the same as the L/R Heresy's. They don't have to be on risers if you are going to make a shelf with a slope like the other two Heresy's. Defenitely don't lay the Heresy down if you are custom building. There is a lot of good information on why a tower is better then a horizontal center.

I have 3 Heresys across the front (Bob Crites Tweater, Crites upgraded Crossovers) and they sound better for Home Theater that the KLF-C7 and the Academy or Academy with a popbumper'd upgraded crossover that I tried before it...

I found it was less important for the surrounds to be Heresys and mine were replaced with KSP-S6s...

Bill

• Like 1