Do any of you use Yamaha's HD3 proprietary upmixing

prerich

I've tried it and I'm a total fan! On some forums, people prefer HD3 to DSU. I know that Atmos and DTS-X are the real deal, however I'm very content and satisfied with Yamaha's 3D tech.  You have to tweak it, but it's very tweak-able! I think this will tie me over for quite a while - especially if Atmos is going UHD BD exclusive. 

Not saying that Atmos is going to be UHD BD exclusive - but it seems like they've stopped putting Atmos on new releases...unless they are UHD. 

I tried playing The Last Witchhunter 4K UHD bluray movie with DTS X today and I wasn't impressed at all. My Yamaha receiver didn't have a clue how to decode the data and just shoved 4 channels into the side surrounds. It was quite annoying to say the least. Yes I have the latest firmware update for the Yamaha RX-A3050 as well. Their seems to be lots of bugs they will have to sort out for this new technology to make me a believer.. Still on of the best movies I've seen thus far has been on a normal bluray which happened to be the newest Starwars movie which came out last month which I believe was recorded in DTS 7.1 master HD ?

Not saying that Atmos is going to be UHD BD exclusive - but it seems like they've stopped putting Atmos on new releases...unless they are UHD. 

I tried playing The Last Witchhunter 4K UHD bluray movie with DTS X today and I wasn't impressed at all. My Yamaha receiver didn't have a clue how to decode the data and just shoved 4 channels into the side surrounds. It was quite annoying to say the least. Yes I have the latest firmware update for the Yamaha RX-A3050 as well. Their seems to be lots of bugs they will have to sort out for this new technology to make me a believer.. Still on of the best movies I've seen thus far has been on a normal bluray which happened to be the newest Starwars movie which came out last month which I believe was recorded in DTS 7.1 master HD ?

I don't have Atmos or DTS-X. However I find that the proprietary mode (not DSU or Neureal-X) does a great job of placing sounds where they should be.  I'm running 13 speakers as well (two front presence, 4 rear presence, 2 back surrounds and 2 side surrounds - besides my LCR and subs). My question is more toward the HD3 DSP modes not the DTS-X or Atmos decoding. 

The Star Wars movie was extremely immersive using the Adventure DSP mode and HD3 processing. Master and Commander, Brave, 9, and the Revenant are also very immersive as well! I'm beginning to wonder if I should even go Atmos at all - seeing that I'm satisfied with HD3.  Some people have stated that the best upmixers are Auro 3D and Yamaha's proprietary HD3 - with DSU being right there.