To Sell or Not to Sell

Youthman

• Moderators

Over the past week, I've become somewhat obsessed with the new DJI Phantom 4 Drone.  It has some really nice upgrades from the Phantom 3 Professional.  This would be my first drone.

I currently have $760 available to put towards it so I need about $650 more.  Unfortunately, we are in the process of putting money aside for two projects that take priority.

1)  Make the trip from Florida to Alabama to pick up my new cabinet for the theater room when wakejunkie finishes.  This will also include a road trip to South Carolina.

2) Enclose 1/2 of our lanai to make a bedroom for my daughter.  We are $2000 away from having all of the money to do it.

Any new websites I develop or design projects must first go towards those two items.

We are debt free other than our home (thanks Dave Ramsey) so it's not an option to finance.  So today I began thinking about the possibility of selling something:

Option 1:  Sell one of my four RSW15's. 

Pros:

• It would completely fund the remaining I need for the DJI Phantom 4. 
  • I definitely would not be lacking in bass if I sold one of the four subs.

Cons:

• Would not be able to have this.  I was VERY sure this was the easy solution....until I looked at this rendering.  Man that would look sweet!

klipsch-lascalas-and-quad-rsw-15-subwoof

Option 2:  Sell my newly acquired URC MX-890, MRF-350 Base Station and RFX-250

Pros: 

• I began programming the remote but have not actually used it in my HT yet.  Still using my Harmony One
  • I have not hooked up the MRF-350 and RFX-250 to add RF capabilities and I really don't have a need for RF since everything will be within line of sight with the new cabinet.
  • I still have the Harmony One (which is a great remote) to use for the HT

Cons:

• Worth about $150, therefore would not fully fund the DJI Phantom 4.

Option 3:  Be patient, get the cabinet for my front wall of the HT and room for my daughter built and then buy the Phantom 4.

Pros:

• Would get to keep the RSW-15

Cons:

• Would not have the drone to use when I go pick up the cabinet and make the journey back to Florida.  Thought about some cool shots I could get to document the journey.  I think this is my biggest reason for wanting to sell an RSW-15.  But it may take wakejunkie several more weeks (or months) to finish the project.  He thought for sure he would be finished by the first of April but he still has to sand everything, stain and varnish the entire project. 

Ok.....looking for some advice here.....

• Moderators

I certainly appreciate the advice. This is what I'm looking for...honest opinions.

Wakejunkie said "If you sell it I will hold it against you FOREVER. Or until this weekend when I totally forget". LOL. His strokes might have removed his memory but it didn't touch his sense of humor.

I've always said "True friends tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear."

I'm not an impulsive person...this same thing happened about a year ago. I dreamt about DJI for 3 weeks...then the desire went away.....but it's back again.

• Like 2

Option 3: Be patient, get the cabinet for my front wall of the HT and room for my daughter built and then buy the Phantom 4. Pros: Would get to keep the RSW-15 Cons: Would not have the drone to use when I go pick up the cabinet and make the journey back to Florida. Thought about some cool shots I could get to document the journey. I think this is my biggest reason for wanting to sell an RSW-15. But it may take wakejunkie several more weeks (or months) to finish the project. He thought for sure he would be finished by the first of April but he still has to sand everything, stain and varnish the entire project. Ok.....looking for some advice here.....

I say wait, I bet you can come up with some cool shots as you have in the past.

• Moderators

Not sure why, but I guess I did not expect an absolute unanimous advice to not sell anything. I think sometimes it's difficult to see clearly when there's emotion involved… For me the emotion was excitement and anticipation.

I'm coming down off the ledge LOL

"Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed." I try and live by this proverb whenever I am making a big decision. I don't want to do something that I'll regret down the road. Apparently...this would have been one that I would have regretted.

Of course the little kid inside me isn't excited about the advice but as Dave Ramsey says...

"It is human nature to want it and want it now; it is also a sign of immaturity. Being willing to delay pleasure for a greater result is a sign of maturity. However, our culture teaches us to live for the now. “I want it!” we scream, and we can get it, if we are willing to go into debt. Debt is a means to obtain the “I want its” before we can afford them."

— Dave Ramsey, Total Money Makeover

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 3

• Moderators

Duder, It's not as fun being mature. Lol

I mentioned this to my wife yesterday

Me:I'm thinking about selling one of my subwoofers to help fund the Phantom 4.

Wife:Go right ahead. You won't hear me complain about one less subwoofer

She cracks me up

• Like 2

• Moderators

OK so now I have another question, should I buy a used phantom 3 professional since they can be had between $700 and 800 or wait awhile till either the price comes down on the P4 or a used one becomes available.

Buying the used Phantom 3 may be the best route, especially if this is your first drone.  There is a learning curve with flying them - I bought a cheaper drone to try things out before committing to a Phantom after seeing all of the crashes posted on YouTube  :blink: .  I haven't had a chance to try it out yet - but after flying helicopters for years I know first hand how costly it can be to have a misstep.  The Phantoms will also hold their value really well - I would think you would be able to recoup your full investment, or close to it,  after trying it out for a few months. 

• Moderators

Yes Ed, this will be my first drone...which was one of the reasons I was leaning towards the P4 since it is more stable than the P3 and has Obstacle Avoidance which would help reduce the risk of a crash when moving forward.