Craig, are you out there? What rectifier tube do I use in a VRD ST with KT 88sc's?

lotusmark

I've been running 350b's for years and thought I'd try something different. I turned down the bias, installed the kt88's and GZ34's powered up and one or both of the gz34's, after about 30 seconds, flashed and the fuse blew. I also have a set of 6550's. If I want to try those, what is the proper rectifier?

Edited by lotusmark
  • Like 1

well the designer is Craig (NOSValves) and he is a member here...plus, there are MANY very happy owners of his product on here...

http://nosvalves.com/vrd.htm

but I agree, it may be best to go directly to Craig who makes himself very easy to get ahold of...

good luck lotus mark...

Bill

Edited by silversport

Well Maynard is correct it would probably be wise to just email me since I might not even see your post here but I'm not offended. The Stereo VRD runs the output tubes at a lower plate voltage then the mono blocks so no need to swap rectifier types when trying different output tubes. Not sure why your rectifier flashed in 30 seconds but that is about how long it takes for a 5AR4 to begin to ramp up the B+ voltage. If you have had the 350B tubes in the amps for a long time you might need to clean the metal contacts inside the tube sockets, you might have some oxidization which when swapping the tubes caused a contact issue. But then this could just be a coincidence and one of your rectifier just decided to give up the ghost on you. 

Absolutely no offense expressed, implied or taken. With the 350b's I was using sylvania tubes with no numbers on them, maybe 313's to use as the rectifiers. So I don't need to swap those out when trying different power tubes?

Edited by lotusmark