Chorus 2 tweeter high pass crossover

Bob01464

Just wondering if anybody would have a good idea if the 160uH coil in the tweeter high pass portion of the crossover was replaced with a 100uH coil. I was hoping to push the crossover point up to about 7K in support of Ti Mid diaphragms. It seams to be a third order 18db filter used but Klipsch looks to be approaching it from a different way with the matched 2uf caps. I don't have a accurate way to calculate what the coil change would do to the crossover point, but think it would put me in the ballpark. I have brand new caps from Crites and it would be great if I could utilize them. Any thoughts?

post-62254-0-82400000-1461864394_thumb.j

I'm curious about your crossover adjustments. I have Chorus II as well, with Crites Ti tweeters installed. I also have the Ti midranges but haven't had a chance to install them. From what I've read, Klipsch uses a filter to cut off the high frequencies from the Ti midranges in current speakers. Bob Crites can make these, or you can find the diagram on here if you search. Have you listened to them without any adjustments? Some people don't think the Ti midrange need the filter. I haven't listened myself, so I'm very curious about your experiences and developments!

Edited by absolve2525

I believe that if you are going to make filter adjustments when using all ti diaphragms it makes more sense to adjust the tweeter section where you are only dealing with harmonics. I do not want any extra filtering happening in my mid range because "that's where I live".

I have two sets of H3 with the extra filter in the mid so I do know what they sound like and I have installed a good number of ti mid diaphragms into Heresy forte forte ll Quartet two and sets of KLF20 and I have not seen the need to add the filter to those speakers though I do modify all my compression drivers. I would recommend you install the ti mid diaphragm and see what you think first then go from there.

Thanks Moray that's kind of what I was thinking also. I plan on photo etching some new crossover boards so maybe I will install both coils and make it switch or jumper select-able between the two. Would love to know why they designed the filter the way they did with 2 equal caps. Everything I see has the second cap at about 3 times the value of the first. I'm sure they had a good reason but I am curious.