Best two channel preamp?

eth2

I am looking for another 2 channel preamp. I have a top of the line NBS, with MM/MC capabilities.  I am kicking myself for selling my other NBS, but thought I was moving to a PAS 30 for a second system. so I was going to move to a ss pre.

Now I have decided to stay with my VAC tube amp so I am looking  at tube preamps. I just missed a Leben. As I was looking at the Audiogon listing and trying to decide what to offer, it was purchased by someone else (for less than I was about to offer). I have been looking at the Carly SLP05 but it is a bit expensive. Any thoughts?

I assume you meant Cary and if so that is a bit pricey for a line level pre but it seems to be good at what it does. Alas....my pockets are not that deep

A high end preamp isn't needed with those quality BOSE 901's I sold you. You couldn't tell the difference.

• Like 2

I assume you meant Cary and if so that is a bit pricey for a line level pre but it seems to be good at what it does. Alas....my pockets are not that deep

A high end preamp isn't needed with those quality BOSE 901's I sold you. You couldn't tell the difference.

Right.....all you need with the 901s is a NBS and you're set

• Like 1

Right.....all you need with the 901s is a NBS and you're set

Craig? Craig? CRAIG!!!!!

• Like 1

I am looking for another 2 channel preamp. I have a top of the line NBS, with MM/MC capabilities.  I am kicking myself for selling my other NBS, but thought I was moving to a PAS 30 for a second system. so I was going to move to a ss pre.

Now I have decided to stay with my VAC tube amp so I am looking  at tube preamps. I just missed a Leben. As I was looking at the Audiogon listing and trying to decide what to offer, it was purchased by someone else (for less than I was about to offer). I have been looking at the Carly SLP05 but it is a bit expensive. Any thoughts?

The Leben you missed would have been up there on my list of what pre I would want. They are very rarely for sale.

The Leben you missed would have been up there on my list of what pre I would want. They are very rarely for sale.

Buy the blueberry that is for sale in the Garage sale section, get your soldering iron out and add a row of RCA's on a separate mount if you are concerned (my Peach never gave me any problems with the RCAs).

I love Musical Fidelity products and went from an A308CR preamp to their TOTL KWP.  I sold the KWP and bought another A308CR.  The KWP did not make a difference and what I had was already outstanding. 

You know what you have and what you like. 

• Like 1

Over the years I have gained some experience (e.g., either own, owned in the past, or had opportunity for extended listening session) with the following tube-based preamplifiers that I believe would fit well in a quality music reproduction system.  I do not have much “shoot-out-type” comparison experience with this list as I tend to acquire based on the goals I have for the specific system implementation.  

The usual mentioned on the forum:

Juicy Music Peach

Juicy Music Blueberry (early version, "on-steroids" version, and extreme version)

NOS Valves NBS preamplifier

Examples not typically mentioned on the forum:

Convergent Audio Technology (CAT) SL1 (IMO, one of the classics)

Audio Research LS25 (6922 tubes)

Audio Research LS25 Mk II (6H30 tubes)

Audible Illusions Modulus 3A (IME, need quality tubes and eats weaker tubes for lunch)

Manley Labs Shrimp

ModWright SWL 9.0SE

Cary Audio SLP98 (Line Stage uses 6SN7 similar to SLP05 and suspect sonic signature may be similar)

Lamm LL2

Tube Research Labs (TRL) The Dude (IMO, nice implementation of 6SN7 tubes)

Audio Research LS26

Audio Research SP10 (uses twelve 6922 tubes, and IME, needs quality tubes and it seemed to devour weaker tubes quickly)

Audio Research SP11

Harman Kardon Citation I (complete restoration)

Disclaimer: In relation to any forum member or anyone reading these threads and lurking; I cannot determine, and do not profess to know, if you will experience any system synergies; I have not performed any type of analysis to determine if my list of preamplifiers will be appropriately gain matched and impedance matched when used in any music reproduction systems other than my own.

In addition, I do not remember the model of VAC amplifier that eth2 ultimately purchased and is currently using, I do not remember what loudspeaker (e.g., horns, direct radiators, combination, etc.) that eth2 is driving with the VAC amplifier, where the loudspeakers are located in his room, the dimensions of his room (length, width, height), how loud eth2 typically listens to music, what kind of music that eth2 typically listens to the most, and have not done any evaluation of preamplifier specifications in relation to eth2’s music reproduction system.

Hopefully the list is informative and thought-provoking, prompts further research and investigation by anyone looking to purchase a tube-based preamplifier, and is not intended as insult or otherwise in relation to anybody’s choice in music reproduction system components!!!  :blink:

• Like 2

I am looking at the Acoustic Research Reference models. Thee is a REF-1 on USAudioMart, and a Ref-3 on Audiogon. I don't want to keep buying and selling preamps. I have lost a lot of money doing that. The next preamp I buy, I will keep.

I agree about the LS25. The LS25 is very difficult to find and is rated very highly as it used the 6922 which allows for tube rolling, whereas later models moved to the 6H30.

Edited by eth2
  • Like 1

my pockets are not that deep....after all I'm not an attorney they don't go past my (alert, editors note) knobby (end editors note) knees...

There fixed it for ya

Still pisses me off  

:emotion-21:

I am looking at used preamps. It is the personal injury guys that look at the new ones, not labor lawyers. :-o