Best two channel preamp?

eth2

I like my Juicy Music Merlin better than the BBX I had, even though it has no phono pre.

The synergy has to be there, no matter how much or little money you spend on it, or it can still sound like dirt...

Bruce

• Like 1

• Moderators

Over the years I have gained some experience (e.g., either own, owned in the past, or had opportunity for extended listening session) with the following tube-based preamplifiers that I believe would fit well in a quality music reproduction system. I do not have much “shoot-out-type” comparison experience with this list as I tend to acquire based on the goals I have for the specific system implementation.

The usual mentioned on the forum:

Juicy Music Peach

Juicy Music Blueberry (early version, "on-steroids" version, and extreme version)

NOS Valves NBS preamplifier

Examples not typically mentioned on the forum:

Convergent Audio Technology (CAT) SL1 (IMO, one of the classics)

Audio Research LS25 (6922 tubes)

Audio Research LS25 Mk II (6H30 tubes)

Audible Illusions Modulus 3A (IME, need quality tubes and eats weaker tubes for lunch)

Manley Labs Shrimp

ModWright SWL 9.0SE

Cary Audio SLP98 (Line Stage uses 6SN7 similar to SLP05 and suspect sonic signature may be similar)

Lamm LL2

Tube Research Labs (TRL) The Dude (IMO, nice implementation of 6SN7 tubes)

Audio Research LS26

Audio Research SP10 (uses twelve 6922 tubes, and IME, needs quality tubes and it seemed to devour weaker tubes quickly)

Audio Research SP11

Harman Kardon Citation I (complete restoration)

Disclaimer: In relation to any forum member or anyone reading these threads and lurking; I cannot determine, and do not profess to know, if you will experience any system synergies; I have not performed any type of analysis to determine if my list of preamplifiers will be appropriately gain matched and impedance matched when used in any music reproduction systems other than my own.

In addition, I do not remember the model of VAC amplifier that eth2 ultimately purchased and is currently using, I do not remember what loudspeaker (e.g., horns, direct radiators, combination, etc.) that eth2 is driving with the VAC amplifier, where the loudspeakers are located in his room, the dimensions of his room (length, width, height), how loud eth2 typically listens to music, what kind of music that eth2 typically listens to the most, and have not done any evaluation of preamplifier specifications in relation to eth2’s music reproduction system.

Hopefully the list is informative and thought-provoking, prompts further research and investigation by anyone looking to purchase a tube-based preamplifier, and is not intended as insult or otherwise in relation to anybody’s choice in music reproduction system components!!! :blink:

Very impressive list there FJD. I have owned a few of those, or home auditioned, and certainly agree they should be on your list.

I agree with what Carl and others said about the Transcendent GG preamp.  It isn't often that I'm impressed with gear at this point (too many years in the field!), but will tell you that the performance of that unit is beyond outstanding.  I seriously doubt that you will find another preamp which can match its sonic capabilities at anything approaching even five or six times its price (other than Bruce's new offering).  And, with its output impedance of only 200 ohms and low gain, it should interface beautifully with virtually any tube amp you could think of.  For what Bruce charges for it, spending more almost seems ridiculous and hard to justify.

Maynard

I have owned the Cary SLP98L and consider it an excellent pre-amp that is hard to beat from a sound quality and build quality aspects. They can be purchased with remote volume control and also hold their resale value which I consider very important in this hobby.

Something I rarely see people mention but that I find essential is some form of remote volume control in my system. Recordings are all over the place with volume levels and being able to adjust to each songs  "volume sweet spot" from my listening chair is vital and something I'm not willing to compromise on.

Another "Essential Ability" that I have decided for myself after over 45 years in this hobby is the ability to Tonally correct recordings for the maximum enjoyment from a recording. Yes I know there are recordings when played over excellent systems that need no correction but the better the reproduction system the more obvious the recording industry (in the majority) has failed in this vital aspect of reproduction. This "AUDIBAL TONAL DISTORTION" from recordings is in my opinion one of several reasons people get on the "equipment merry-go-round" looking for some synergy in components that will never solve the root problem in the long run..!!!

I know you stated you want a tube pre-amp but I believe it is important to have an open mind and thus if it was me looking for my last pre-amp then I would if at all possible want to audition something like the McIntosh C52 (with what looks to be an excellent Tone Control Design with well chosen filter center points/bandwidths) versus any other Tube or SS Pre-amp you decide to give a shot to see if you would find an excellent Tone Control System important to you.

miketn

post-12368-0-69120000-1462037676_thumb.j

Examples not typically mentioned on the forum:

Transcendant Sound grounded grid pre.  Probably way under your budget but it's a fantastic tube pre.

I can personally ditto this.....

I agree I!! :lol:

I agree with what Carl and others said about the Transcendent GG preamp.  It isn't often that I'm impressed with gear at this point (too many years in the field!), but will tell you that the performance of that unit is beyond outstanding.  I seriously doubt that you will find another preamp which can match its sonic capabilities at anything approaching even five or six times its price (other than Bruce's new offering).  And, with its output impedance of only 200 ohms and low gain, it should interface beautifully with virtually any tube amp you could think of.  For what Bruce charges for it, spending more almost seems ridiculous and hard to justify.

Maynard

!!!!!! :D  People have also used the GG base and then upgrade some parts for not much more money for a great preamp.  

I bought the GG used and paired it with a Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs and La Scalas for a outstanding sound!   I bought a Juicy Music Merlin preamp but returned it.  The GG sounded just as good and a little better.  

Too many choices!! :wacko: 

• Like 1

The Cary SLP-05 is expensive but it is not $30k.  I have a couple of Cary's (SLP-70 and SLP-84) and do like them a lot.  I've also a couple of Peaches (I and II) that are also very nice.  Also had an Audio Research LS-3 which is solid state but sounded very nice -- best sounding solid state pre-amp I've owned although I probably haven't had that many.

I bought a Juicy Music Merlin preamp but returned it. The GG sounded just as good and a little better.

You didn't have to tell me that... ;)

The Moondogs are still doing fine though. Can't wait now to get the pair of LS back up and running.

Bruce

Based on many of your great comments on grounded grid preamp, I bought a Wyetek Ruby preamp. The reviews were stellar (but aren't they all) and I got a good deal.

Get the Vinnie Rossi  LIO  hard to beat , add what you want

post-49590-0-57960000-1462636381_thumb.j

Edited by A1UC

Transcendent Masterpiece is still simply amazing. I neglected to mentioned that I have built several Grounded Grids, including my own, and I do agree it is also an outstanding performer.

If one has to have long ICs due to amplifiers being some distance from sources and preamp, the Masterpiece has extremely good current drive capability. It's difficult for many preamps to drive the associated capacitance of longer interconnects, particularly where the output impedance of the line stage is on the high side.

I had studied grounded grid circuits in schematics of receiving and transmitting radios for years. Rozenblit took advantage of their very high speed capability and behavior and employed them in the Grounded Grid linestage. Very agile and quick little preamp that is both a snap to build and a giant killer as it relates to cost vs performance. I also built Bruce Rozenblit's very first published dual-output (high and low output z) preamp from scratch in the early 90s from an article he wrote for Glass Audio. A truly innovative designer.

The Masterpiece is all point-to-point wired and likely not so well suited to the beginning builder. As a headphone amp it is really jaw-dropping. Seriously good sound from its 300Bs, and quite literally dead-quiet for headphones and high efficiency horns alike.

We also had the JM Peach here during it's roadshow - and I will say it's on par with the Grounded Grid. My wife adored the Peach, both for its outstanding flexibility and its great looks (relative to my many bud box experiments). I would still consider purchasing a Peach if one came up for a good price - just to throw into the system for a sonic change of Pace. JM designer was also one heck of a clever guy with audio circuits.

• Like 1