Calling all Bass Heads

Superdave

Which would you prefer?

Option A:

(1 Qty.) Stereo Integrity (Dual 2 Ohm) HST18 18″ SUBWOOFER powered by an iNuke 3000DSP wired to each channel to deliver a possible 1500 watts per coil side.

Estimated costs:          Sub = $549

Amplifier: $279

(1)   DIYGroup Sealed Box: $120 

(1)   Pack - Threaded Binding Posts $7.00 ea

Option A costs total: $955

OR

Option B:

(2 Qty.) Stereo Integrity (Dual 2 Ohm) DS4 18″ SUBWOOFER (Each sub wired in series to equal 4 Ohms) and then powered by an iNuke 6000DSP to deliver a possible 3100 watts per subwoofer. (Use limiter parameter)

Estimated costs:          Sub = $518

Amplifier: $400

(2) DIYGroup Sealed Boxes: ($120 ea) T = $240

(2) Packs - Threaded Binding Posts ($7.00 ea) T = $14

Option B costs total: $1172

Difference in cost is $217

You might ask yourself, “He already has 6-18’s, how much more bass does he need?” Well, I don’t really need anymore, if you’re a bass head, you know.

My observation would be that option “B” would deliver more bang for your buck. But, I would like to hear from fellow bass heads and alike.

Personally I would try to get two more of the exact same thing that you already have then get another iNuke 6000.

If that's not feasible due to the impedance since the HT-18's are discontinued and dual 4 ohm voice coils are hard to find, then still get a second iNuke 6000 and run 3 channels powering your 6 current woofers, and use the last channel to power one of something bigger, like an HST-18 or go nuts and get a 21-24 in lieu of two of the smaller 18's. Put that guy in the front or rear and keep everything as symmetrical as possible.

Spread them around the room, put a pair in in each corner or wall midpoint, and actually properly integrate them with a DSP and good measuring software like some people seem to forget to do.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Option 1 with an I Nuke 6000 DSP is a nice way to go.  The RMS on the HST is 1500 and the I Nuke 6000 DSP will give you a little extra headroom and ump.  I think you have a very large space.  Going ported is a good suggestion by Jason.

Edited by derrickdj1

He does have a giant-*** room. :)

Whatever you do, try to set it up properly if possible and not just load them all up in one spot. You have the room to do so. Not sure what you're thinking in terms of placement but read up on multi-sub setups, Floyd E. Toole's rants and whatnot.

I have noticed that when I am listening to LP's on my Intergra Pre-pro, when I am in stereo with 2 lascalas and 2 THT's, the sound lacks midbass and bass, but when I go direct, the midbass and bass come alive. It has something to do with Audyssey, and watching movies and all that. What I am getting to is, have you ever listened without processing? Another thing, have you ever heard the DVD-A of Dire Straights Brother In Arms, Money for Nothing on your system in surround sound? You will know you have subs....

Those HST 18s are monsters. Nick updated the RMS from 1500 to 2000 because they can easily handle that. The thread is somewhere over on the AVS Forum. You could easily give one channel a piece on the iNuke 6000 to a HST18 and they'd take the power no problem. 

Also, I echo others and ported may be the way to go unless you want to switch over to higher powered 18s, 21s, 24s. 

• Like 1

Have you measured? Just wondering what the performance is right now. I thought you were just pulling a Scrappy and liked to collect subs, don't remember you saying you were particularly unhappy with what you've got now.

Y'all might think I'm crazy but the bass is awesome already!! I'm very pleased with the output. I get bored and want to add more. Some might think that I have lost it, lol! Will it ever be enough? 6 subs just seems to be an odd number even though it's not.

Have you measured? Just wondering what the performance is right now. I thought you were just pulling a Scrappy and liked to collect subs, don't remember you saying you were particularly unhappy with what you've got now.

Y'all might think I'm crazy but the bass is awesome already!! I'm very pleased with the output. I get bored and want to add more. Some might think that I have lost it, lol! Will it ever be enough? 6 subs just seems to be an odd number even though it's not.

This is pretty much the crux of our hobby... :D

Id say, bust out the saw and make six Gjallarhorns then report back.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ported-subwoofer-build-projects/69710-doug-s-dual-gjallarhorn-build.html

All I could think of when I read "bass head" was something having to do with this...I am disappoint...

Largemouth_bass-600.jpg

LOL

Personally I was thinking this:

I will def play this when I get back in town!

Throw this on too, most ridiculous bass I have ever head (it killed my original MWF 15 Driver):

:D

If you are just bored with your system and looking for an upgrade you may want to invest in some Klipschorns, La Scala;s or some of the larger cinema series mains and surrounds. no better bang for the buck if you are truly interested in better sound,

• Like 1