What AVR do people on here use/recommend?

AaronB123

I loved my NAD T-757 but I just replaced it with a Pioneer Elite SC-95 and I couldn't be any happier. 

Ya, I was actually looking at the SC-95 as well. When I was originally shopping for a receiver it was too expensive but now that they are releasing there 2016 models the price has dropped significantly. I just don't know if it would be worth it considering I already have the VSX-90. I saw a similar thread on AVSforum where someone said they both have the same amp so there would be no difference in sound quality. Does anyone know if that is true or not? 

Have you considered going with separates?

Do you mean going with an external amp? Ya, that's partially the reason why I was thinking of upgrading because the receiver I currently have does not have any pre out's (except for sub). I believe with Pioneer they don't introduce that until you get to the SC-95 which is why I was looking at that one. 

8801 and sep's are a GREAT choice OP... that being said, I am very happy with my 95/preout/seps. the floor is so black it's not even funny. S/N ratio must be in the .00 range.

8801 and sep's are a GREAT choice OP... that being said, I am very happy with my 95/preout/seps. the floor is so black it's not even funny. S/N ratio must be in the .00 range.

Ya, I have to say the more I hear I think if I do upgrade i'll go with the SC-95 especially like I said the way now the price has dropped so drastically. 

• Like 1

That Sherbourn is a Real Beast--I'd love to have one--just too much money for me--I'm poor..

I bought my first one brand new from Emotiva when the Sherbourn line was discontinued for $459. The other three I bought from Ebay for under $400 each. Considering it sold for three grand originally I consider it a steal to buy them when I can find them. WVU has one as well, he picked it up off Ebay recently for dirt cheap. It really is an amazing receiver.

Dave had some problems with his. It was a refurbished factory one. I hope I am not speaking out of turn, but I think he's going to end up making either a door stop or an anchor out of his.

No doubt the pieces sold recently on Ebay were not properly tested. Dave actually has his set up now. I have never even tested any of my analog inputs as mine are all set up in HT's via HDMI or toslink. Dave's set up is rather odd for a seven channel receiver but it seems to serve it's purpose over there. I know you guys tried to trouble shoot it, and obviously the remote problems only add to the already present issues. It sucks when you buy something that has been misrepresented, although he made out alright.

Just to add, I own four of these and none have had a single problem. Fingers crossed, because you never know. So far so good

Unless something has changed since Thursday afternoon, his unit is flaking out in other ways now. This problem has to do with the volume going up and down or something. I had his unit in my shop for about a week and verified that the remote control interface is dead in the front and in the back. His intentions were to use the unit as his AVR in his 5.1. Because of the remote control problems, he could not but instead decided to use it as an amp for his computer. Now that isn't viable. Like I said earlier, it's an anchor.  Sorry...

Yeah, seems the unit Dave got was a mess from the get go. I also know of a buyer that purchased a Sherbourn PA 7-350 that same week and he had problems with that one as well. Dan, the owner of Emotiva is furious about the Ebay sales that sent out garbage units. He has posted as much in the Emotiva forums.

All I can say is that if you can find a good SR-120 I think you, or most others would really appreciate what it brings to the table.

Tim

• Like 2

Ya the Sherbourn is a very nice unit but it only supports up to 1080 which is a dealbreaker at this point for me since I am just got a new 4k tv and planning on getting the 4k blu ray player in the near future. 

I think I would most likely go with the SC-95 the question is, given that I have the VSX-90 is it even worth it, would I even hear a difference in sound quality? The main thing I noticed is that the SC-95 has a class D amp which it doesn't look like mine does. Does that make a big difference? 

Unless you have unlimited funds, latest video, great audio, full features are not all in one box. Figure out the compromise, do you want best audio, video, features. Ive had many Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz, flip a coin, from sterile to boring. If video is the thing they all do it.......features, same most all have em'.

His intentions were to use the unit as his AVR in his 5.1. Because of the remote control problems, he could not but instead decided to use it as an amp for his computer. Now that isn't viable. Like I said earlier, it's an anchor. Sorry...

The SR-120 is a 70 pound beast and the sound is fantastic.  Emotiva has worked with me and treated me like gold, so that alone is a good reason to pick one up on the used market if it can be found.  My use of the SR-120 is still a work in progress.  The lack of a remote is a PITB for most applications, but as long as its beside me in the computer room it's a minor inconvenience.

Now that I've decided to work with it, I've found some work-arounds for the glitches, and it truly does have some critical glitches as Mustang Guy said.  I've got more work to do setting it up properly, but some other projects have jumped in front of the SR-120 so I will have to live with it the way it is for the time being.

I can tell you this, it's a lot of fun when it's running full tilt!  :D

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

I didn't realize NAD made AVR's I thought they only made 2 channel integrated and amps, that's good to know. The only thing I can see though about the NAD's is they don't have 4k support which I do require.  It seems like no one here really has mentioned Marantz. Is that brand all hype? What do you guys think as far as Marantz vs Pioneer? 

Marantz has always paired well with Klipsch. You'd have to do your due diligence (read reviews, consumer comments, etc.) but I can vouch for the Marantz AVR 7005 and 7055 separates in our Klipsch KLF HT system. (KLF-30's, 10's and C-7).They replaced a Denon AVR which did just an 'ok' job but was tinny on the high end and less than adequate otherwise. Marantz made a huge positive difference.  I suspect that the Marantz AVR's do a good job too. Probably worth checking it out. Take a look at separates too ...I certainly don't regret it.  Best of luck.

• Like 2

I have a sc-77 pioneer elite. It does not do 4k@60 i believe. I plan to take advantage of blu-ray players dual hdmi output when the day comes to buy one.

Just one thing to keep in mind is you also need a TV that has HDCP 2.2 or the player (Assuming your talking about the Samsung UBD-K8500 since that's the only one out) will not work with it. My friend had to learn that the hard way. 

• Like 1

I have a sc-77 pioneer elite. It does not do 4k@60 i believe. I plan to take advantage of blu-ray players dual hdmi output when the day comes to buy one.

Just one thing to keep in mind is you also need a TV that has HDCP 2.2 or the player (Assuming your talking about the Samsung UBD-K8500 since that's the only one out) will not work with it. My friend had to learn that the hard way.

I think i am okay, have the vizio p602ui-b3

With a 4k TV, you might consider a BR player that has two outputs that many Pannys have.  You can bypass the avr with the video signal and run the audio direct to the avr.  I suppose some cable company dvrs will eventually offer 4k, but in the interim  you can save some significant change by purchasing a good 7.2 avr.  The tv probably up converts anything that is less than 4k.   I run everything through my Onkyo, but switch the video when I use the BD player.  My $.02. 

I didn't realize NAD made AVR's I thought they only made 2 channel integrated and amps, that's good to know. The only thing I can see though about the NAD's is they don't have 4k support which I do require.  It seems like no one here really has mentioned Marantz. Is that brand all hype? What do you guys think as far as Marantz vs Pioneer? 

I like the Marantz stuff....quality gear in my eyes. 

I take back my NAD T758 recommendation. I've found on some songs there is significant distortion on higher frequencies. I've tested the same songs on 2 other amps and the issue does not exist. I've now tried 2 T758s and am returning them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also running Sunfire separates, older MK IV versions.  No hdmi but I run direct to the screen for video.  Separates are a much better alternative if you get a really good amp.  The sunfire is expandable to 9.1 maybe 2 even from back then.  if you want the latest features used will be harder to find for a discounted price I suppose.  If you do get something new and hand down your current one, I would be interested in your brother's old avr for a bedroom set-up.