What AVR do people on here use/recommend?

AaronB123

Realistically speaking, an actual honest 50 watts per channel into most any speaker will run you out of the room.  

The only times I have ever heard a receiver simply not be enough in terms of sheer output is with stupid loud volume, a very full range source where all kinds of stuff was going on, all 5-7 channels were all being driven hard, and that was with RF-7ii's which in addition to being a little less efficient, have a couple of hard to drive impedance dips somewhere around 40 and 160 hz.  Otherwise it probably doesn't matter much.  If you can't pinpoint exactly where you are currently having a problem, there's probably no point in trying to fix it.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

So I am not sure how I feel about my Anthem. It is incredibly detailed, but is a bit bright for The RF-7II. The processing is really good, and room correction does a great job if you like to use it. I just feel as though room correction sucks too much life out of the speakers, and turning down the treble gets rid of too much detail.

I may try the Outlaw Audio 975 & 5000 combo. Supposedly the combo is warm and punches way above its weight class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I am not sure how I feel about my Anthem. It is incredibly detailed, but is a bit bright for The RF-7II.

Give the Anthem a little more time.  Many confuse bright sounding with neutral(no coloration) because they may be used to a "warmer" presentation.  Possibly your ears(and brain) may just need some time to adjust to the different tonal change.

How is the functionality and user interface of the Anthem?

Bill

The user interface is a bit dated looking, but works just fine. It allows for 4 speaker profiles all with their own bass management and level settings. You can set up plenty of inputs with your choice of video and audio inputs, speaker profiles, and whether or not to use ARC.

Although potentially a neutral sound, I prefer the warmth. My NAD is warmer, and my main system has tubes. I don't really care for all the features all the AVRs have, so going with basic separates may work best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Grizzog

i didn't read any responses...

add my name to the list of people who use Emotiva. i currently have the UMC-1, soon to upgrade to MC-700.  i have also used an LPA-1 in normal and bi-amp configurations.  i am currently using an XPA-3. 

this is actually my set up right now.  here is a short you tube video using the LPA-1 and XPA-3 with the UMC-1.  it's not really a comparison video, there is not way to tell by being recorded through a phone and played on computer speakers.

XPA-3, LPA-1, UMC-1, RF-7, RC-7

• Like 2

i didn't read any responses...

add my name to the list of people who use Emotiva. i currently have the UMC-1, soon to upgrade to MC-700.  i have also used an LPA-1 in normal and bi-amp configurations.  i am currently using an XPA-3. 

this is actually my set up right now.  here is a short you tube video using the LPA-1 and XPA-3 with the UMC-1.  it's not really a comparison video, there is not way to tell by being recorded through a phone and played on computer speakers.

XPA-3, LPA-1, UMC-1, RF-7, RC-7

Gorgeous system! Where did you get that entertainment center stand? I LOVE IT! 

Realistically speaking, an actual honest 50 watts per channel into most any speaker will run you out of the room.  

The only times I have ever heard a receiver simply not be enough in terms of sheer output is with stupid loud volume, a very full range source where all kinds of stuff was going on, all 5-7 channels were all being driven hard, and that was with RF-7ii's which in addition to being a little less efficient, have a couple of hard to drive impedance dips somewhere around 40 and 160 hz.  Otherwise it probably doesn't matter much.  If you can't pinpoint exactly where you are currently having a problem, there's probably no point in trying to fix it.

+1 for this. Running a Marantz 5005 out to a 12 channel Niles amp at 60w per...agree completely that it can overwhelm. Particularly with Forte fronts and a Quartet center. Couldn't be happier even though it's a generation behind. When your speakers are almost as old as you are, the new stuff isn't as appealing...