Newbie buys La Scalas

beckster

I just brought home 6P185 and 6P183. It seems odd that the serial numbers are close but not consecutive. Is this common?

Can one measure resistance at the terminals of each woofer, swaker, and tweeter and determine if a voice coil is "open" or "short"?

Is there an established protocol to reawaken long slumbering La Scalas?

Is it possible to test the state of the cross-overs? They are the AA edition.

I am pretty excited to finally have some "big" speakers.

Bob

• Like 1

First of all welcome to the forum and your first post ever!  :emotion-19::emotion-21::emotion-22:

I don't have the answers to your questions, but they are good ones and I assure you there are people here who can and will guide you to La Scala bliss.

In the meantime, welcome, and let us know how you like them.  They sound pretty good stock and after listening for a while you might find you want to leave them stock, like mine are.

Edited by wvu80

Welcome to the forum, "beckster" :emotion-21:  :smile:  :emotion-21:

The "P" in your serial number designates they were made in 1976.  You can measure all of the drivers.  Just disconnect them from the crossover and take your reading, individually.  I would suggest just wiring them babies up and start enjoying.  You can see if everything is working properly.  If so, ENJOY them for a while.  Updates/upgrades can always be made later.

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Welcome! While you are doing that, loosen each screw on the terminal block of the crossovers and re tighten.

Listen a while and enjoy. Those are getting up there in years, but should still sound fine. you can, use a tube from a roll of paper towels (or similar) and listen to each of the drivers while playing some music to see if you hear output. You won't really hear too much from the tweeters, as they come in around 6Khz and add the sparkle. Definitely needed, but output isn't a rock the house loud at those frequencies.

Post some pics when you are able. We always like pics! Did you bring donuts? The new guys are always supposed to bring donuts... ;)

Bruce

Here is a crossover. I'll disconnect the speaker leads and measure resistance. I was told one tweeter was out but I could not tell from listening. There are LS BR. Is the phone jack the normal termination and is there a convention on polarity? Regards to all.

oops what does one do to post photos?

Here is a crossover. I'll disconnect the speaker leads and measure resistance. I was told one tweeter was out but I could not tell from listening. There are LS BR. Is the phone jack the normal termination and is there a convention on polarity? Regards to all.

centre pin tip is always positive no this is not stock that would be a pair of machine screw connectors. you can use a set of five way binding posts lie the superior.  see link. congrats.

http://www.alliedelec.com/superior-electric-bp30-2br-1-pkg/70120889/

Stuff a sock in the squaker and you will be able to hear the tweeter if it's working. 

• Like 1

what does one do to post photos?

Within the post at the bottom right, choose "Use Full Editor."   Follow it to the bottom to browse for pics.  Then "Attach this photo" followed by "Add to Post."

If you start a new post, the same options are available in "More Reply Options."

Edited by wvu80

Probably have to use a piece of cardboard to cover mid horn up cause those grills don't come off. Then you will be able to hear if tweeter works. If not contact Bob Crites .

The cab. do not have matching grain the Scalas were more industrial even if you opted for walnut stained ones they did not match grains.

Crossover re-build kicks are also available from Bob.

There is a lot of info on the forum you will spend a few days looking at and all your questions will be answered.

Is that a Cracker Barrel? I'll be right over... Are u in the South?

If you look at the pics I posted in the LS refurb thread, there's a pic of my '89 LS that were the birch with a walnut lacquer stain (pic includes the guitar and organ pipe). The birch can look really nice. Mine had removable grills.

You are going o enjoy those.

Bruce

post-62985-0-27160000-1462040249_thumb.j

When I did my visual inspection I pulled some very small acorn caps and dried leaves from the woofer horn and I worried that there might be music lovers living in the dog house. That is mouse scat on the seam. I opened them up and everything looks good so I am relieved about that. Is there any way to test the crossovers to see if they are in spec? 

The cabs have a few dents and chips and scratches etc. I suppose paint is the best choice. Has anyone just rubbed a oil finish on somewhat dirty birch ply and had it come out looking good?

• Like 1

post-62985-0-57640000-1462041053_thumb.jBruce,

The beingnets have just a hint of chicory in them, the coffee is light roast, and you can order shrimp and grits for breakfast. I am in St Paul, MN but it is a town along the big river.

I am looking your refurb thread. 

Has anyone started a gallery on finishes on birch as opposed to veneer finishes?

I am thinking a milk paint may be nice. It should show the grain, and hide the blemishes.

It looked like the doghouse panels are glued and nailed and not screwed together. Is there a thread on how Klipsch built them?

Bob

You can remove the doghouse cover on the bottom, remove the drivers and crossovers, and that's pretty much it for taking the enclosure apart. What you do with the speaker after that depends on factors like:

Where will you be using them?

What is your budget?

How much time do you have for this project?

What are you hoping to gain from this restoration?

I like the idea of milk paint. I've seen it on furniture in different colors and it makes old furniture look shaker-like. I also like veneer, but I am a complete novice at it. I have the utmost respect for folks who have mastered it. If you are going to use these things in your garage, you can slap some autobody filler in the holes and cracks and roll Duratex on them. 

One tip is to make sure you have a good airtight doghouse. That means the seal on the trapdoor, the gasket on the K-33, and the point which sometimes separates even though you can't tell it from the outside.

Klipsch used ring nails and glue to put LS together.

St. Paul is rather nice. I used to live over in Madison, WI, then outside of town in Waterloo, before moving south in '88. I don't miss the cold at all.

My parents reired to an area north of Eau Claire.

Edited by Marvel

I am finally finishing the space above my garage. The space will not be a formal living room style space but more of a man-cave. The space is mine alone, no need to compromise, so speakers will be a really big part of the decor. 2 channel, no TV, wood stove, woodworking bench, my grand-pa's hand tools on display. It will be a play room for me mostly and of course my grandson. Listen to music and read mostly.

I think milk paint in light orange will go well with pigeon gray walls. I have two sets of "klipsch corners" along the short walls. Not quite sure which set to use first. The corners look like this:

post-62985-0-42480000-1462043400_thumb.j

post-62985-0-38840000-1462043413_thumb.j

• Like 2