New (to me) Klipschorns

ReckerTA

So I said I'd start a thread, so here it is. Last weekend I purchased a pair of Klipschorns in the garage sale forum (from silversport), local here in Chicago. I thought I'd post a couple pictures (as requested) and give some thoughts (also as requested!).

I currently own now the Klipschorns, Cornwalls, and the RF-3 surround set up (fronts, center, surrounds, and went with the 15 inch sub). I have also owned quartets for a couple of years in the past  and spent a couple good weeks with my friend's forte's (I tried them out for a few weeks before giving them to him as a wedding present). So that gives you an idea of where I am coming from. 

First off, my room is less than less than ideal. I am building a room in my basement currently, but the Klipschorns put a big dent in the budget for that room, so not sure when it will be finished. So for now I have them in my family room. They are not hooked up to anything good, really either. I have them hooked up to a Denon AVR received that I bought a couple of years ago to start my SACD listening. I didn't have anything back then that had the separate hookups for each channel, so I needed one. I hope to get my Marantz 1060 back over here to hook up to them, but a friend is currently borrowing it. Have to find something for him to purchase first before I can do that. 

So anyways, my initial thoughts. They are everything I had ever heard they would be in the high end and midrange. Certainly exceptionally sweet. Definitely the best of all of the Klipsch or any other speakers that I have ever owned in this regard. The main thing that really jumped out at me was the imaging, or whatever people call it. The separation from instruments is amazing. The singer sounds like they are standing 10 feet in front of me. I can tell exactly where people were playing their instruments, and can pick them out with ease. I know this is a finicky thing with Klipschorns, but the way  my room is set up must be ideal for the placement. I believe I'm about half as far away (where I'm stitting) as the length of the wall that they are on, and I have heard that is pretty close to what you want from Klipschorns.

The place where I have issues is the bass. Which is no surprise whatsoever. They are not in ideal corners, as you can see from the pictures. I knew that this would be an issue coming in, and I'm not fazed by it. When I turn up the bass on the EQ it helps. Usually I'm keeping it pretty flat on recently recorded music, but on the classical music (which I listen to alot), I have to turn it up a bit, as the recordings were recorded that way, and the lack of bass from the speaker makes it worse. I will say that the bass is also unlike bass I have ever heard from a speaker, which is what I was also told to expect. I actually like it quite a bit. The bass is not punchy like a kick drum, but when you listen for it, it's totally there. I listen to it and think, "hmm, I'm not hearing much bass", and then I listen closer and say to myself "actually, I really do hear it." And it's really cool, to be honest. It seems that I like this type of bass quite a bit more than like a normal woofer, at least for certain types of music. Most of the music I listen to is either classical, jazz, or folky type stuff, and it really fits with that music well. Considering hooking up my KSW-15 to complement these, as it is not in use at the moment. Any suggestions on that? Or not a good idea?

So anyway, I love them! Wouldn't give them back if I was offered double what I paid. They were a speaker I have been dreaming of owning for years, and I'm not disappointed, even with the room hurting them. When I first set them up I thought my wife would make me move them out of this room. She's like, "they're gigantic!" I told her to let them sit for a few days and see after she adjusts. And she told me the other night that she kind of actually likes them in there. Now I just have to find a way to move the T.V. and equipment rack to a more ideal location. 

So, that's the story I guess. I'll post a few pictures here so you can see the room and the pictures. Oh and Bill, we're definitely taking those sliders off the bottom. The white is just too visible, definitely contrasts too much. Anyone have suggestions for what to put on the bottom so that they can slide a little, but not be obtrusive? Just some felt stickies or something?

So, see the pictures. Any suggestions or questions are definitely requested.

Edit: Oh ya, sorry about the mess. Dang kids always getting their toys in the way!

post-61183-0-25120000-1462043762_thumb.jpost-61183-0-21800000-1462043773_thumb.jpost-61183-0-26600000-1462043782_thumb.jpost-61183-0-87080000-1462043794_thumb.j

Edited by ReckerTA
  • Like 4

Yeah, they're very room-dependent, but the main issue is the indirect horn-loading. You don't have air being thrown directly at your chest. What you do have is cleaner bass and, yes, more of it. Try walking around your house with some bass heavy material at a good volume. You'll find places, possibly in other rooms, where you'll realize there's lots of bass being put out. Could you try them on the long wall?

• Like 1

With the doorways on either side pretty much where the bass reflects, I am not surprised you are not getting the amount of sound on the low end that you expected. I would imagine the bass down that hallway is pretty impressive. The good news is that when you finish your basement, you will get to hear an upgrade without any costs (except for the new room itself).

Great first assessment. I always like to hear about the "first impressions". What was the first song you played?

Edited by MookieStl
  • Like 4

Yes, after reading so much about them over the years I knew that I was going to be missing a lot of bass. The first song I played was take five by Dave Brubeck Quartet. It's one that I know very well. And one that accentuates the mids very well. I was definitely not disappointed with the midrange in that song.

I really do need to get them hooked up to some different amplification though, in order for me to compare them better against the other speakers that I have had that were Klipsch. I've always listen to my other ones through older vintage receivers so I would like to do the same with these. The longwall definitely does not work in this room. The room goes back about 25 feet into a separate room so I wouldn't have anywhere to sit to actually listen to them.

• Like 2

Can you put something in those doorways "temporarily" to give the bass a chance to "stay inside the same room with you"?

Maybe go to Home Depot and buy some rigid foam insulation boards (cost $22)?

You could cut them to fit within the door frames and wedge them in place ( of course to be used ONLY while listening to the Khorns).

In my humble opinion that would make a huge difference while you are experimenting and getting to know your "new" speakers.

At least until you finish remodeling your basement.

By the way - Congratulations on your new speakers.

:)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-FOAMULAR-1-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-R-3-Squared-Edge-Insulating-Sheathing-36L/100320356

Edited by blindman
  • Like 1

When you convert your basement, have at least 4 feet out from each corner without obstructions or gaps, and make sure the Khorns are pushed all the way back into the corner.  If the walls can be opened up and reinforced, to make them very solid, that would be good.  Search under forum member Chris A to see his article on corner horns.  He gives good advice on placement of absorbing treatments.

I assume since you got them from a forum member you have them sealed against the wall correctly. What year are those my 72s suffered from back air chamber not being air tight. Some people fail to seal the top horizontal part of the bass horn. Always check the basics first before blaming other stuff.

Congratulations on your New speakers! I truly hope that you enjoy them thoroughly.

This is my first post in the forum. Just signed up. I live in the Monterey CA area.

I've been wanting to buy a pair of Khorns for a while now and the wife just gave the thumbs up. I found a few used pairs all over California but none locally as yet. I found a MAC 4300 amp for $1400. I appreciate some guidance here. Is that a good amp for the Khorns? I typically listen to Classical, Jazz and Acoustic music.

Thanks,

Mitt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your New speakers! I truly hope that you enjoy them thoroughly.

This is my first post in the forum. Just signed up. I live in the Monterey CA area.

I've been wanting to buy a pair of Khorns for a while now and the wife just gave the thumbs up. I found a few used pairs all over California but none locally as yet. I found a MAC 4300 amp for $1400. I appreciate some guidance here. Is that a good amp for the Khorns? I typically listen to Classical, Jazz and Acoustic music.

Thanks,

Mitt.

There is almost no one who doesn't like McIntosh sound with Klipsch speakers...

Bill

Thanks,

Mitt.

There is almost no one who doesn't like McIntosh sound with Klipsch speakers...

Bill

Thanks Bill.

Is $1400 a good price though? It looks like a well used but well taken care of amp.

Thanks,

Mitt.

I'm unsure on that particular model but from what I have seen in the past...if it is up to spec, it should be a decent price for one of those (basing my advice on a similar but less "electronic" MAC 4100)...

Bill

Thanks Bill.

Need to get a pair of Khorns first though. Two people have agreed to sell me theirs and have backed out so far. Just changed their minds. I'm trying to get a local dealer to sell me his 30 year old display units (rosewood finish), let's see how that goes.

Best,

Mitt.

Can you put something in those doorways "temporarily" to give the bass a chance to "stay inside the same room with you"?

You could cut them to fit within the door frames and wedge them in place ( of course to be used ONLY while listening to the Khorns).

In my humble opinion that would make a huge difference while you are experimenting and getting to know your "new" speakers.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-FOAMULAR-1-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-R-3-Squared-Edge-Insulating-Sheathing-36L/100320356

I could, but not if I want to stay married :) . I am not in the least concerned about the bass. I know they have it, and I know why I don't get it right now. The basement room has always been planned as a library / listening room. And even before I bought the Khorns I had started designing the layout of the room for the day that I would own them. It's not going to be an all out listening room, because it has to be the library too, but a lot of thought will go into making sure I can get it as close as possible to what I'm looking for. 

• Like 2

I assume since you got them from a forum member you have them sealed against the wall correctly. What year are those my 72s suffered from back air chamber not being air tight. Some people fail to seal the top horizontal part of the bass horn. Always check the basics first before blaming other stuff.

Yes, this is also part of the problem. On the right side of the room, it is sealed well. On the left side, you'll notice the trim coming down from the sliding doors to the deck. That piece of trim is just a little too close to the wall that the speaker is resting in so that it sticks out and causes a not air tight seal on that corner. I'm not real concerned about it for now. Hopefully i'll be able to finish the basement room in the next year or so.

Edited by ReckerTA

...  The basement room has always been planned as a library / listening room. And even before I bought the Khorns I had started designing the layout of the room for the day that I would own them. It's not going to be an all out listening room, because it has to be the library too, but a lot of thought will go into making sure I can get it as close as possible to what I'm looking for. 

Our Khorn room is a combination library, home theater (with a large, retractable, acoustically transparent projection screen) and music room.  Here's my advice: 

• If you can, don't start the bookshelves until you are at least 4, and preferably 5 feet away from the apex of the Khorn corners.
  • Consider not having any shelves or other large objects between the Khorns.  Search for Chirs A's posts on this fourm about corner horns.
  • Use book shelves rather than bookcases.  That will give the sound a pathway along the walls, behind the books, the full length of the walls.   I haven't confirmed that with a controlled test, but the bass sounds great.  It is based on a comment  in Heyser's review of Khorns from c.1986.
  • Don't pack the books tightly; intersperse some art objects between the books on the shelves, to provide some diffusion.
  • Make sure the book shelves don't rattle or flex under the assault of Khorns!
Edited by garyrc

Thank you for the advice! I will definitely take some of those into consideration when building the room. I'll take a look at some of those posts as well. I definitely want to do as much research as possible before putting it all together to make sure I'm doing all I can to get the best sound out of them.

• Like 1