Changing Tweeter Impedance in RB-35

Hi...

Just started using my old pair of RB-35s again after they'd been in the closet for a few years.  One sounds as I'd remembered.  The other is dull...lifeless.  After ruling out the tube amp's output, I swapped tweeters.  And that's the problem.  One bad tweeter.

The stock tweeter is stamped 3Ω K-130-DN.  Poking around on the web I'm not able to locate an exact replacement.  What I have found is a K137 rated at 8Ω.  (Btw I've sent an inquiry to Klipsch about a replacement tweeter but have not heard back.)

Since the impedance is different, I have to presume that the K137 isn't a drop-in replacement in spite of what the web stores that sell them say.  And I know very little about the math behind speaker loads.  So my questions are......

- If I simply replace the 3Ω tweeter with the 8Ω unit, how does that impact the RB-35's impedance?

- If direct replacement throws the RB-35's impedance too far off the original overall 8Ω rating, would there be something that can be done elsewhere to maintain the original impedance??  Perhaps via the crossover??

- If somehow direct replacement is mathematically fine, how might the different impedance affect the sound??

Thanks all......

Edited by acerikk

Thanks for checking in.  Called Klipsch.  Fella there said the 8ohm K137 is the drop-in replacement, regardless of the fact that it's replacing a 3ohm K130....although he was unwilling to put it in writing.  So I've installed replacements and hoping for the best.  Still don't see how the impedance on the whole RB-35 unit stays within spec.  But the output transformers on the power amp aren't getting hot....so I guess it's good??

Considering that it is high frequency, you can typically get away with lower impedance since it doesn't use as much power.  The only problem I would worry about if the level is reasonable, is that the crossover point has changed.  The crossover may have been made for the other impedance which throws this new one way off.

• Like 1

Klipsch gave you bad advise

Listen to pzannucci.

A Klipsch person gave bad advice. Shame on that person. I wouldn't throw the whole company under the bus.   :unsure:  Amy Unger will haunt you.  :wink:

I did some calculations, and if you put an 8 Ohm tweeter in place of the 4 Ohm tweeter (let's call it that), you are cutting the high pass filter frequency by more than double. By my calculations that comes to about a 1KHz HP filter on the new tweeter instead of the intended 2500Hz of the stock diaphragm. 

Have you called Crites? I would.

I'm guessing the "3" to be a partial stamp of an "8".  You can buy replacement tweeters from Speaker Exchange for $38.

http://reconingspeakers.com/product/klipsch-rb-35-rf-35-tweeter/#prettyPhoto

According to Speaker Exchange info, it appears you might NOT have received bad advice from Klipsch folks.

3 ohm did sound odd.  Great detective work!  

Intersting.......

The Klipsch parts spreadsheet from September, 2008 shows the K-137 (160744) as the RB-35 tweeter, per the Speaker Exchange site.  A search resulted in no finding for the K-130 (160734) application.

Edited by bhendrix

Intersting.......

The Klipsch parts spreadsheet from September, 2008 shows the K-137 (160744) as the RB-35 tweeter, per the Speaker Exchange site.  A search resulted in no finding for the K-130 (160734) application.

...The stock tweeter is stamped 3Ω K-130-DN...

Good catch Jason. 

When I bought a pair of RB-35's a few years ago, both tweeters were dead.  Ordered "replacement" tweeters which were K137's and the RB-35's were back to rocking within a week of ordering.   No issues whatsoever with impedance or amp heat, etc.

Bill

Edited by willland

Thanks again to everyone who's chimed in.  Attached a photo of the faulty tweeter.  Speakers purchased new in '04 or '05.  I installed a pair of K137s and it's certainly a huge improvement over the single bad K130.  Are the RB-35s working at the best of their potential??  I don't know.  But it ain't bad.  And it's a huge improvement.  And nothing seems to be overheating....

post-63019-0-71480000-1463461806_thumb.j

Edited by acerikk

I'd say you are fine. Your ears are the best judges, and more impedance will not hurt your equipment. You have a slightly different crossover point now, but if the new crossover point seems pleasing it may explain why Klipsch started using the 137's over the 130's.

• 2 months later...

Help!!

I just acquired a set of RF-35's and one of the tweeters is bad. I took a picture of it and it has K-134-DN and 160740 on the back and it is a 3 ohm tweeter. I read your posts and some others and the K-137 was the replacement. Unfurtunately, now the K-137 has been discontinued. One of the speaker parts stores is suggesting to use a K-138 from the synergy series as a direct substitute. Although they seem to be the same in most respects, the K-137 was made of titatium and the K-138 is aluminum. I need help getting a titanium substitute. Any suggestions? What would I need to look at, other than whether it has the correct hole pattern to attach to the plastic bracket to make it work?

I have an old pair of JVC SK-S22's. They blew tweeters like crazy, and I found out there was no high pass filter on the tweeters. They were natural roll off. That is crazy, but it explained a lot. LOL

Any way, I decided to just change things out so I bought a pair of off the shelf 3 way 2nd order 8 ohm networks and a pair of half way decent tweeters. They weren't a perfect fit, but I made them work.  The speakers no longer rely on natural rolloff, and they shouldn't blow these tweets out now.

My point being, if you are daring, you can see about getting a Ti tweeter here and making it work. :)  http://www.parts-express.com/cat/tweeters/17?N=19813+4294967118+4294964873&Ne=10166&Nrpp=99999&Nrs=collection%28%29%2Frecord%5Bendeca%3Amatches%28.%2C%22P_PortalID%22%2C%221%22%29+and+endeca%3Amatches%28.%2C%22P_Searchable%22%2C%221%22%29%5D&PortalID=1

Good luck.

Edited by mustang guy

thanks mustang guy,

I appreciate the comment and willingness to help. I was hoping not to have to change the crossovers and maybe pick something from the same brand. I was thinking of attaching something from other reference series. maybe like rf-62's? What should I be looking at when choosing a different tweeter?