Subwoofer recommendation for Palladium setup.

felitopaz

Rythmik FV15HP or Reaction Audio Gamma 21 would my 2 choices for a sub under $2k.

I have owned a TON of quality subwoofers over the last 8 years and the Rythmik was heads and shoulders better than all of them. That Gamma 21 has me drooling though..

I was even shopping for a new sub when I ran across this thread. It's a disease but it's a fun disease;)

• Like 2

That's what the salesman at PVS told me. He recommended the 13 ultra sealed not ported. Maybe I should keep what I have since they sound pretty good to me. After all they are 15" Subs.

I went through all of the reviews and forums researching the SVS subs. I decided on the SB-2000. Yes, the ported will go a few hz lower. Also, the consensus is that you'll need 2-4 of them to equal the output of the ported. I've had many subs but never a sealed. One thing I like about the SB is that the bass is linear. It's not "boomy" at low volume, and gives you the punch when you crank it. I'm working with a 3600 cubic foot room that has an opening at one corner. I'll be ordering a second. Yes, bass is "nondirectional", but I can tell. I look at these as an extension of the mains and will be running two. 

That's what the salesman at PVS told me. He recommended the 13 ultra sealed not ported. Maybe I should keep what I have since they sound pretty good to me. After all they are 15" Subs.

I went through all of the reviews and forums researching the SVS subs. I decided on the SB-2000. Yes, the ported will go a few hz lower. Also, the consensus is that you'll need 2-4 of them to equal the output of the ported. I've had many subs but never a sealed. One thing I like about the SB is that the bass is linear. It's not "boomy" at low volume, and gives you the punch when you crank it. I'm working with a 3600 cubic foot room that has an opening at one corner. I'll be ordering a second. Yes, bass is "nondirectional", but I can tell. I look at these as an extension of the mains and will be running two.
3600 cu ft!?!? I would need about twenty of them bad boys in that room. Haha my room is 2100 Cuft and I had to ditch the pb-13 ultras cause they were at maximum potential when I would do the occasional crazy volume scenes.
  • Like 1

^^Congrats^^ 

Remember….we love pics!

I’m not sure which is worse, my old camera or my photography skills.  Oh well. I’d rather focus on music reproduction …

Here’s my attempt at a pic at night.  My TV room is small:  12’ x 13’.  My Scott 299C (7591 output tubes) was playing when I took the pic.

100_2062_zps4xcyenjh.jpg

I experienced a few initial frustrations with my new Palladium P-312W subwoofer:  UPS late delivery, lugging the beast upstairs (with help), and a new cable (BlueRigger) that was bad.   Also, the electronic controls of the P-312W sometimes don’t respond, or are slow to respond.   (However, once they’re set, I doubt I’ll be adjusting the parameters.)

Here’s how I configured my Oppo BDP-105 universal player for 2.1, sending high freqs to the P-37F and low freqs to the P-312W:

Using the Oppo BDP-105 Dedicated Stereo Outputs in a 2.1 Configuration

In order to utilize the dedicated stereo outputs in a 2.1 configuration with bass management, you will need to change the Stereo Signal setting under the Setup Menu / Audio Processing to Front Left/Right. This will allow the Speaker Configuration section of the Audio Processing menu to apply to the dedicated stereo outputs:

1. Go to the Setup Menu and select Audio Processing.
  2. Select Stereo Signal and change it to Front Left/Right.
  3. Go to Speaker Configuration.
  4. Set the Downmix Mode to Stereo.
  5. Set each of the connected speakers to Small and set the subwoofer to On.
  6. Exit Speaker Configuration and set the Crossover setting to whatever your preference is.

When the player is configured as detailed above, audio from a source that does not have a dedicated .1 or LFE track will be directed to the subwoofer based on the crossover frequency you select.

For now I have the BDP-105’s crossover set at 100 Hz. 

I’ve run the P-312W’s automatic “Room Correction”.  EQ is set to “Flat”.

I’ve just started experimenting, but so far it sounds pretty good. 

FWIW, I’ve had my P-37F for 4 years, and I’ve always realized non-fatiguing sound via my tube amps.  My newly acquired P-312W is providing more punch and weight for large scale classical music.

More to follow …

Edited by robert_kc
  • Like 2

I initially thought that my sub was faulty as the controls are as you say but what I found was that you really need to "heat up" your fingers first if the touchscreen is cold at all. I keep my house very cool but when I breath on my fingertips to warm them the controls work fine. Klipsch said the screen is fairly sensitive to that.

Have you tried your remote? I think I need to try a new battery as it doesn't seem to be working at all. If you have, does the display on the sub "wake up" when you use it?

It definitely is an amazing sub to look so nice lol

The P-312W subwoofer in merlot is even better looking than the matching Palladium tower speakers.   And much better looking than any of the “black box” subwoofers that I’ve seen.

It will take some time for me to experiment with the crossover settings in my Oppo, and the settings for the P-312W.  My initial assessment of the sound quality is positive.

Unfortunately my P-312W’s electronic controls simply don’t work most of the time.   Apparently this is a common problem?   Most of the time my unit does not respond to the touch screen, and most of the time the unit does not respond to the remote control.  A buddy of mine’s P-312W remote control never has worked.  Klipsch sent him a new remote – same thing – didn’t work.   I really question what value the remote would provide anyway.  Unless I can easily see a display from my listening position and I can see the settings that I am changing – what’s the point of the remote control?   (Particularly when I have no confidence that it’s working.)  Because the P312W’s display faces up, I have to stand over the unit to see the display.  The remote seems superfluous.  (Don’t get me started on the microscopic printing on the remote.)  Apparently Klipsch prioritized sleek appearance over buttons that work.   

Klipsch states that the Palladium products were designed by an international design team.  Kudos to whoever designed the styling.  A pox on whoever designed the user interface to the electronics.

Bottom line, thus far I’m satisfied with the P-312W based on the discounted price that I paid.   It takes some patience to set the parameters because many button pushes aren’t registered, but there aren’t a lot of parameters that must be set, and I doubt that I’ll be utilizing features like the “Music”, “Movie”, and “Night” modes.