Subwoofer recommendation for Palladium setup.

felitopaz

I’m writing to provide an update regarding the remote control for the Klipsch P-312W subwoofer, based on a few days use.  Earlier I had commented that the remote often doesn’t work.  What I’ve found is a Catch-22.   The P-312W’s display faces up, so I cannot see it from my listening position.  If I stand over the unit in order to see the display, the remote usually doesn’t work.  (Apparently the subwoofer’s sensor is on the front.)  OTOH, if I stand in front of the unit where the remote works, I can’t see the display.    

I sometimes need to adjust the subwoofer’s volume based on what’s playing.  I’ve found that when the subwoofer is adjusted for classical music, it provides way too much bass for some movies (particularly obnoxiously loud pop music and LFE imbedded in movies).   So I’ve set the 5 presets (Music, Movie, Night, User 1, User 2) to 5 descending volume levels.  That way when the lights are dimmed in my listening room (and I can’t see the labels on the remote) I can select the top right button for my highest bass setting, and each button beneath it for less bass.   Those 5 buttons are the only buttons on the remote’s right side, so I can find them in dim light.   While I can’t read the P-312W’s display from my listening chair, I can see its display light up when I push a button on the remote, which at least provides confirmation that the remote’s signal was received by the P-312W.  I’d rather use the remote’s presets than its volume control, so that I don’t accidently adjust the volume more than one increment at a time, and I know where the volume is set without walking over to look at the display.

The touch-pad on the top of the P-312W remains recalcitrant.  The system responds about half the time I touch one of the arrows on the screen.   While this is irritating, it is not a major problem, because I don’t expect to use the touch-pad often.

On a more positive note, the following 24bit/96kHz FLAC recording of Bach organ music sounds amazing played via my P-37F and P-312W, with my Oppo BDP-105’s crossover set at 100Hz:  http://www.hdtracks.com/j-s-bach-organ-works-volume-ii   The familiar “Toccata & Fugue in D Minor, BWV 565” is a show-off piece for the subwoofer.

51AsS3mv1ML._SS280.jpg

And, as has been said before, the Palladium speakers look like handsome luxury products, not plain black boxes.

Bottom line:  I bought another P-312W and installed it in my living room system.

I’m looking forward to more music and movies, and additional fine tuning.

• 2 weeks later...

You definitely have a great amp and processor, I hope you get it all dialed. 

All dialed in now. Sounds great.

Great news….I had a feeling it would fall into place. You seemed a little discouraged for a while.

I'm loving my P37/312 combo.

Excellent. I hope to update my subs soon. The P38s do great with music, but movies they need a little help.

• 1 year later...

I know this an old thread but I wanted to share my experience with the Harmony remote app and my P-312w. 

For kicks I checked to see if it was supported and sure enough it is. After loading the profile I checked it. Flawless, instant operation. Every time. It also eliminates the annoying (at times) touchscreen control. There'sstill the issue of not being able to see it due to the display orientation but hey at least the remote works now.