deal of the day $900 K-HORNS Ebay buy it now

prerich

I want the sound coming from the TV area too. I run one Belle as a center to the Khorn and that's all it needs, for me. Having the Khorn and the Belle center fills the area with sound rather than the sides OR center.

I have an excellent MTM center with 7" Usher mid/bass drivers but needless to say they can't keep up with the mighty Khorns.  The Usher center probably is about 93 db efficient so the 104 db efficient Khorns need to be tamed while the Usher is brought up a few DB. 

My next task will be to break out Audyssey and let it work its magic.  I know a lot of you guys don't like it, but for someone like me who can't balance out all the different speakers so they hit reference level at the same time, I couldn't get the sound right without it.

• Like 1

Now I can breathe and stop holding the secret of the transaction!!!! I wish I wasn't distracted by those decorators.....thought I'd save myself a few hundred - oh well.....Patience....patience.... B)  :ph34r:  B)

Yeah, it's funny how things turned out.  Mustang Guy ended up making a decision that ended up affecting MY life in a significant way.  I certainly consider have Khorns in my living room a significant upgrade to the quality of my audio life.

But there are other decisions NOT made that did the same thing.  Prerich might have made other decisions in the heat of the moment that could have resulted in HIM ending up with those particular fantastic Khorns.

"These are the days of our lives, As The World Turns.

Klipsch Forum style.  B)

Khorns are a significant upgrade from the almighty CF-4s? Now that you have them, you have to admit they are better altho the 4s are great speakers

Any questions? LOL

Mark

I've done just a bit more critical listening today.  The Khorns are really good for 2-channel because of the way they image and the wide sound stage.

For movies I don't like them as well because of the same reason I like them for 2.0 2-channel, they throw the sound to the outside.  For movies I like the sound to come from the inside out (just to the edge of the TV on each side).  That is not a failure of the Khorns, that is a general speaker setup issue.

In my asymmetrical living room that will probably not get resolved because my TV space is just not conducive to speakers on each side of the TV.

To be honest, they are not better or worse than the La Scala, they are just different in terms of the needs of the room.  The LS sound fantastic, and I probably like they way they sound for a specific reason, I like the horn sound, horn as in brass instruments.  The LS's can be placed anywhere, and the Khorns must have a corner.  Not better or worse, just different.

I think if I had different electronics they would sound better as well, because I am driving these off of an Onkyo 7.2 AVR.  All those people who like tube amps are NOT crazy.

The wife hasn't seen them yet, so unless I get vetoed, the Khorns will stay.  B)

When will people quit saying you need to have perfect corners? Enclose the backs and you can toe them out to image even better

Ask Davis for directions, he has done several pairs

Mark

• Like 1

Khorns are a significant upgrade from the almighty CF-4s? Now that you have them, you have to admit they are better altho the 4s are great speakers.

Any questions? LOL Mark

No my friend, I'm not ready to concede that point at all.  B)

I've got the CF-4's modded and dialed in so they can play loud (like live!) with no distortion, and most importantly to me they are accurate.  Human voice both male and female sounds better than on the Khorns or LS's, and piano sounds like there is a real piano playing, which is the most difficult instrument to reproduce because of its range, dynamics and timbre.

But we've got adequate but not great electronics on the Khorns, setup and room are not ideal.  The CF-4s now have the better AVR and a 15" sealed sub that adds significantly to the chest pounding power of the CF-4's.

There is much more setup work to be done on my end before I can determine the "ultimate" sound in the house.

Edited by wvu80

I enjoyed my time with CF4s, but ended up preferring the 3—way Khorns and Chorus II with Crites Ti. There is soooo much potential with Khorns. I never swapped out the Klipsch CF4 driver for the EV, however. I wasn't comfortable with adding shelving for the heavier EV driver. Keep us posted!

Edited by absolve2525