Even more accurate and musical than a Klipschorn...

Mallette

OK, unfair...but it IS a music reproduction device!   Took delivery of our 1928 Marshall & Wendell AMPICO player piano today at the future home of the Regional Music Heritage Center.  She's a beaut, and in prime condition.  If you have Facebook access you can see the delivery video here.  We had a power drop installed today and hope to have power available tomorrow PM or Wednesday.  Cannot WAIT to hear it!  So many great AMPICO rolls, which was one of the most sophisticated and accurate systems ever built.  We got over a 100 rolls, mostly AMPICO, with it.  It has full dynamic and pedal control, auto replay and auto rewind, and mixes martinis. 

We are going to have it playing with the doors open on Friday and Saturday for the Texarkana Railfest which will draw thousands downtown.  Bit of "see and be heard" for us.  We are making really great progress and are shooting to be open by next spring. 

Dave

post-7390-0-66280000-1462242234_thumb.jp

post-7390-0-99720000-1462242259_thumb.jp

post-7390-0-75440000-1462242284_thumb.jp

post-7390-0-03800000-1462242410_thumb.jp

• Like 2

So very very jealous... a player piano or other mechanized instrument(s) is very high on my list.

I like the mechanicals, but I do think these days one can purchase a digital unit.

Now all you need is to source some reproduction Nancarrow rolls.

Is it in tune and fully functional?

Here is a fun thing to do when you get bored later, retune the piano in microtone scales and replay the same rolls... a retuned star spangled banner is truly awesome if done properly.

Edited by Schu

So very very jealous... a player piano or other mechanized instrument(s) is very high on my list.

I like the mechanicals, but I do think these days one can purchase a digital unit.

Now all you need is to source some reproduction Nancarrow rolls.

Is it in tune and fully functional?

Here is a fun thing to do when you get bored later, retune the piano in microtone scales and replay the same rolls... a retuned star spangled banner is truly awesome if done properly.

Good stuff all, Schu!  The digital units are far superior in cost effectiveness.  Yamaha Disklavier is a great one...and it has an onboard synth that allows you to tune it anyway you want.  Also, you can add synth to the real piano playback so as to do things like emulate the prepared Nancarrow pianos without having to doctor the hammers of a real one.  However, there is nothing like watching the roll on a mechanical with all those Nancarrow notes streaming by for theater!

The Nancarrow rolls are about 150.00 each and there are about 40.  May acquire one or two, but the 6k to get the 40 or so that are available will be a second year fund raising project.

It is not badly out of tune, and is totally functional and near "like new" mechanically.  Got a clean bill of health from one the top experts in the nation on that.  It's close enough that it will require only a single tuning.

Dave

We will have a power drop on at the RMHC future home where the piano is either tomorrow or the next day.  First order of business will be to fire up the M&W AMPICO with "Cascades," composed and played by Scott Joplin on an AMPICO roll.  I intend to video and upload it here.  Watch for it.  Won't be audiophile quality, but more than decent I hope. 

Dave

• Like 1