Running 2 different brand subs..

AaronB123

I recently decided to go ahead and purchase the Klipsch R-115SW to replace my Velodyne CT-150 but while checking eBay and the amount these subs are going for which is like 150-200 at best I stopped and said why don't I just keep it and run both! Has anyone here ran 2 different sub models? What do you guys think, run both or sell the Velodyne? 

Also, while I am here if anyone has the R-115SW and wants to tell me how they like it I certainly wouldn't object  :rolleyes:  I'm pretty sure Youthman said he had like 2 Velodyne subs and switched to 1 Klipsch that outperformed both of them. That isn't the first time I've heard a story like that, as well as my own listening experience is why I decided to make the switch. That paired with the fact that the R-115SW just looks gorgeous! 

• Moderators

If you don't need the money, hook both up and see how it sounds. You should definitely get more SPL with dual 15" subs plus you should get more even bass response across your room (less nulls)

If it doesn't make a difference, sell it.

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 1

Has anyone here ran 2 different sub models?

How about three different sub models and mfr's?

Revel B15, SVS SB13 Plus, and twin Klipsch RT-10d's. Took a while to get them blended "properly" but worth the work involved.

Bill

Wow, I'm certainly glad I inquired! I guess it'll be fine! 

Definitely worth a shot.  You may find that it blends better with HT and not for music, great with both, or horrible with both.  The experiments should be fun.

Bill 

When setting up two subs are are fairly close in performance, level match them to around 73 db at the MLP.  In the case on moderately dissimilar subs, the same procedure except the weaker sub should be closer to the MLP to prevent from over-driving it.

If you do run different ones, keep in mind that different subs can have different delays even in the same location. Audyssey with SubEQ should be able to fix it for the most part if you have a 7.2 receiver, but ideally you'd have a DSP with a delay function on them then measure as to blend them properly. In other words, just splitting the signal then hooking up two random subs and calling it good is asking for it to sound awful.

If you do run different ones, keep in mind that different subs can have different delays even in the same location. Audyssey with SubEQ should be able to fix it for the most part if you have a 7.2 receiver, but ideally you'd have a DSP with a delay function on them then measure as to blend them properly. In other words, just splitting the signal then hooking up two random subs and calling it good is asking for it to sound awful.

Ya, I think I am just gonna order a second Klipsch not only for the reasons you stated but not sure if anyone here is familiar with the Velodyne but compared to the Klipsch its pretty plain looking and would throw off the look of the whole setup. The Klipsch also goes down to 18hz where the Velodyne drops off at 25hz.

I have a 15" velodyne and 15" mfw subs. Velo goes down to 23 and the mfw 15 hz. imho, different brand/model subs don't really matter much just because of their nature and placement. In fact, I think it's probably even better to have mis-matched sub, one starts at very low and the other picks up slightly higher freq to emphasize and creates a continuous low freq. dynamics. If you have same brand and model, you're increasing the spl and loudness by having two same subs but still limited to the same freq specs.

The receiver also plays a major role in getting the most out of your subs. It should be "smart" enough to detect and adjust the subs according to the room configuration and elements in it. It should also allow for manual or customized speaker configuration. Otherwise, as some others stated above, if you just hook them up using a Y adapter, the result may not be as good.

Otherwise, I think you picked a great match, 18 and 23 hz subs.... your HT will rock!

Edited by javelin

I have a 15" velodyne and 15" mfw subs. Velo goes down to 23 and the mfw 15 hz. imho, different brand/model subs don't really matter much just because of their nature and placement. In fact, I think it's probably even better to have mis-matched sub, one starts at very low and the other picks up slightly higher freq to emphasize and creates a continuous low freq. dynamics. If you have same brand and model, you're increasing the spl and loudness by having two same subs but still limited to the same freq specs.

If you have multiple subs that don't play the same frequencies, you won't get the same advantages that you'd normally get with multiple subs in terms of room modes.