any mechanics here?

Paducah Home Theater

Imagine a dump truck dumping rocks onto a sheet of tin roofing, or lots of rocks in a tin can being shaken violently in every direction.

That could certainly be the description of pre-ignition.  If it goes away instantly when you take your foot off the throttle, that's probably it.

• Like 1

BTW, the reason your mechanic didn't want to do a tune up is because the spark plugs almost always break when removing.  You need a special repair kit to extract them and even then, they're a PITA.  Absolute worst case scenario is pulling the heads to repair them but someone who's done a few can normally extract them without pulling the heads.  It's extremely common for them to come apart even if the tech does everything right.

• Like 2

BTW, the reason your mechanic didn't want to do a tune up is because the spark plugs almost always break when removing.  You need a special repair kit to extract them and even then, they're a PITA.  Absolute worst case scenario is pulling the heads to repair them but someone who's done a few can normally extract them without pulling the heads.  It's extremely common for them to come apart even if the tech does everything right.

Wait, what? Like when this is happening, or with Ford trucks, or what?

BTW, high octane gas didn't help it much if any.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

or with Ford trucks

Ford trucks only.  EXTREMELY common.  This only happens during spark plug replacement (tune ups).

So I best not attempt it myself then? I have an appointment on Wednesday at the dealership, they are looking into a re-flash. I guess I better book a tune-up as well?

Have an appointment in an hour for an exhaust shop to look at the cats. I guess my concern about all these different places is the old saying, if the only tool you have is a hammer, all your problems tend to look like nails.

• Like 1

I always apply a liberal amount of anti seize on new spark plug threads in aluminum heads.

Highly doubt most technicians even bother using it, the above picture shows what is likely to happen without it.

The problem with this design isn't the threads you can see that they're fine.  There's a long end on the plug that sticks down into a chamber.  The chamber fills up with carbon and basically bonds itself to the plug.  Maybe never seize would help?  I don't know.  This is a chamber/plug design that didn't really pan out.

Take a rubber mallet and whack your converter(s) and exhaust from front to back to eliminate an exhaust rattle.

Making another note to self:

Never buy a motorized vehicle, or hammer, from jason str.  :)

LOL, this time i was not joking around.

Rubber mallet method works very well in locating a rattle as the whack does not resonate through the exhaust like a harder surface would.

• Like 1

Take a rubber mallet and whack your converter(s) and exhaust from front to back to eliminate an exhaust rattle.

Making another note to self:

Never buy a motorized vehicle, or hammer, from jason str.  :)

LOL, this time i was not joking around.

Rubber mallet method works very well in locating a rattle as the whack does not resonate through the exhaust like a harder surface would.

I was having a computer issue in a client's office a few years ago. The IT Department sent a female tech to handle it. She was FOTB from Russia. Her fix was to open the case and start removing cards, throwing switches. When she was done she announced it was 'fixed' and left. Wouldn't even turn on after her repair. The next tech they sent removed that pc and replaced it.