any mechanics here?

Paducah Home Theater

A thick accent you cannot understand seems to be a mandatory requirement.

I always tell them that I can't understand them and to transfer me to someone in the US.  Normally it works.

I just learned to do repairs myself so i no longer have to deal with it.

My last Dell was scrapped for parts to build something much nicer.

So, just got back from the exhaust place. They seem to think that it is my passenger side cat. While testing, the truck starting missing real bad, which it has never done until now, also started stinking around where the cat is. Doing a pressure test Monday morning, that will tell us for sure, apparently they have to take the O2 sensor out and plug a diagnostics tool in there.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Your symptoms don't really seem like it's a cat but it won't hurt for them to check.  Jasons rubber hammer test would let them know if it's broken or not.  I'd keep my appointment at the dealership just in case.  Also bear in mind that if your cat has come apart, you may end up replacing your muffler as well because once pieces get in there, they can stop up the muffler and won't pass through.

Any aluminum head is prone to seize spark plugs in place.

That's why all hot rodders heli-coiled the spark plug holes right out of the box. The mains and rocker studs were already heli-coiled from GM. I also did the valve cover holes.

JJK

• Like 1

Having truck troubles, don't know what to do about it.  Will try to outline it best I can.  2004 Ford F-150.  

1. Biggest issue is that upon acceleration, especially in a situation where I'm going at highway speeds but then press on the gas to go up a hill or pass a car without downshifting, something rattles really bad.  It sounds like you put gravel in a tin can and start shaking it hard.  

2. I took it to a transmission shop thinking it was the transfer case, since it also would not go in 4wd.  He said the solenoid for the apparently weird Ford 4wd system from that year was sticking so he replaced it.  Still rattled though.  He said transmission, transfer case, and axles were fine.  He put new seals in the rear axle since it has been leaking for a long time.  Recommended a tune-up.  

3. Took it to my normal mechanic and explained what is happening.  It also sometimes clicked in the front and had some low frequency grinding so he honed in on that.  Found that a hub had badly rusted, partially disentegrated and chunks of rust was falling off and getting on the inside, so he replaced it.  The clicking and grinding has stopped.  Still rattles though, at least when I drive it.  

4. This same mechanic inspected underneath and did not find any loose heat shields which is what I suspected.  

5. Upon actually riding with me, when I accelerated and it rattled, this same mechanic instantly said that it was a premature firing problem, Ford trucks are notorious about it, and the dealership can re-flash the computer to compensate for it.  Also said it definitely did NOT need a tune-up, for some reason.  

6. Problem is though, I talked to this dealership, there is no bulletin on this issue nor any issue known to them where this would actually fix such a thing.  I have an appointment for them to diagnose it but crap, this is getting old, and they don't seem to think that a need to re-flash is the issue.  

7. Only thing I can think of on my own is that the catalytic converter(s) has clogged and/or disintegrated, and upon acceleration under a load, the exhaust pressure is rattling a bunch of rusted junk inside of it.  I have an appointment with a muffler shop tomorrow, I guess we will find out.  It will not rattle just revving the engine though, has to be under a load.  

Any other ideas?  

I'd suggest you trade it in on a Chevy ;) 

• Like 3

This is what you'll end up with.

GAS-sparkplugs.jpg

Been there , had to invest in the tool

Yup.... 

I own a Honda shop and very few Fords come in the shop ( except my 97 F-250 :wacko: ) My buddies that work on fords have told me the horror stories of those spark plugs. Last year a guy rolled up on the lot with a Ford with a plug that had blow out of it. It blew the coil right out...As soon as he rolled on the parking lot I could hear it. The guy was on his way down south to like the Carolina's... He asked me if I could fix it???? I said " My man, I own a Honda shop and I don't even have the special tools for this problem" Then he asked me if I wanted to buy the truck :blink:.... He wanted money for bus ticket for him and his friend... My response was.....ahhhh no thanks....

He left the shop and said he was going to try to make it.... I wished him good luck ;)

Over the years I've had a few V-6 Honda's come in with a blown out plug. They seem to get loose and cause a miss-fire and the check engine light comes on. "Most" people bring it in the shop when that check engine light comes on and the complete spark plug blow out is avoided.

MKP :-)

Edited by MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE

While helping me bias my amps, Craig Ostby got exasperated and told me, "There are just some people who should never touch a screw driver." Guess that leaves me out of the mechanics group.

Edited by eth2

You have an issue with either a coil or spark plug. You have a misfire on one of your cylinders. Has the check engine light come on? If so, take it to the parts store and have them run the code. It will tell you which cylinder it is. You can then start by replacing the coil and or plug. How many miles do you have on it? It may be a could time to just replace all. I used to take mine in to the shop to have done, but it really isn't that difficult except for a couple of coils in the very back.

1. Biggest issue is that upon acceleration, especially in a situation where I'm going at highway speeds but then press on the gas to go up a hill or pass a car without downshifting, something rattles really bad. It sounds like you put gravel in a tin can and start shaking it hard.

sounds exactly like the ripe conditions for valve clatter, or engine knock. usually doesn't raise it's ugly head unless the engine is under load.

How long you had the vehicle?

Do any work on it recently?

What are the outside temps?