Strictly 2.0 Diet for a While

The History Kid

Well it seems that when you really want stuff to go wrong, it goes wrong.

Sunday I spoke with Bob Crites about upgrading the crossovers in my RF-3 II towers as I really want to make sure they shine. I pulled them today, so I am out the RF-3 towers for a while. (Mind you I still have some stuff I need to do with the speakers to make sure that Bob has the right specs for the new Xover, so they haven't left me yet.)

In the meantime, the HDMI card on my Fusion seems to have given out. So an RMA will be put in tomorrow to have it repaired...The result?

It's just my XDA-2 and my UPA-2 right now with my RB-5's. Strictly 2.0 channel diet for a while.

Of course, I had my XDA set to 0 dB and my UPA-2 on 3/4 volume...forgetting that, I switched the connections around...and nearly blew my brains out. It disoriented me a full 6 seconds to find the mute button to correct my error. Ugh!

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 2

2.0 with RB-5s isn't too bad a consolation for now...I just installed some new crossovers from Bob in my Chorus lls...sounds nice...bet you'll appreciate the improvement when yours are done and installed...

Bill

Edited by silversport

Absolutely!

I'm pretty optimistic. I just really wish that my HDMI card would have at least held out until after finals week. Talk about a double whammy. It made writing one of my papers very difficult, to the point I just shut everything down, rewired, and then got back to work. I'm just glad I had a backup. Had this happened to me a few years ago, I'd have been sunk.

Absolutely!

I'm pretty optimistic. I just really wish that my HDMI card would have at least held out until after finals week. Talk about a double whammy. It made writing one of my papers very difficult, to the point I just shut everything down, rewired, and then got back to work. I'm just glad I had a backup. Had this happened to me a few years ago, I'd have been sunk.

First World problems, my young padawan learner.  B)

It's very well established that "multi-tasking" is way overrated.  It is a very small percentage who can listen to music and study both at the same time.  Turn the music off and let that magnificent young mind of yours soak up the information you need for finals.  At your age and stage of educational development, I'm very sure you have turned into an expert at learning at this point.

You're already smart enough, you just need to put in the time necessary to study, you know what to do.  You work hard now so you don't have to work hard in the future.

• Like 1

Nothing worse than the audible surprise of leaving the volume up at power on....glad you never blew anything Michael. I had something similar happen years ago (back in the day of cassettes) I was listening for tape hiss while setting up to record onto a cassette and trying to decide which DD logic to use. I totally lost track of what I was doing and went back switching into the tuner....wow, what an earful of blaring Van Halen I got there. Like yourself no damage was done ( outside of my partial cardiac arrest)

Nothing worse than the audible surprise of leaving the volume up at power on....glad you never blew anything Michael. I had something similar happen years ago (back in the day of cassettes) I was listening for tape hiss while setting up to record onto a cassette and trying to decide which DD logic to use. I totally lost track of what I was doing and went back switching into the tuner....wow, what an earful of blaring Van Halen I got there. Like yourself no damage was done ( outside of my partial cardiac arrest)

Oh, it scared me to the point I had to run a frequency sweep and white noise to make sure that I DIDN'T blow anything. The post-heart-attack heart-attack. Thankfully, the speakers responded at about 38 Hz on up with no extra artifacts or rattles in the sound. No clipping or anything like that either. But it sure had me going for a minute there.

But to put it in perspective, the XDA-2 was set at 0.00 dB at that time, it is currently at -53.00 dB. lol

• Like 1

I can relate, my listening levels are between -40 and -30db on the XDA-2. If nothing else, it was a wake up call for you....always pay attention....hahaha!

Honestly, I think I might need to trim the volume on the UPA-2 down a bit too. Will have to see how it plays with the updated RF-3's when it's all said and done. What surprised me is that even though the volume was absurd, I didn't notice any clipping. That was a VERY pleasant surprise.

• Like 1

Quite the contrary Dave, I can't concentrate for anything without music. In fact, I'm pretty dysfunctional without music...

I can relate. When I was taking classes, I could listen to Metal while doing CADD, but Classical for anything technical such as Physics or Calculus. Lyrics are distracting to me, but I usually have some sort of music playing.   

Absolutely!

First World problems, my young padawan learner.  B)

It's very well established that "multi-tasking" is way overrated.  It is a very small percentage who can listen to music and study both at the same time.  Turn the music off and let that magnificent young mind of yours soak up the information you need for finals.  At your age and stage of educational development, I'm very sure you have turned into an expert at learning at this point.

You're already smart enough, you just need to put in the time necessary to study, you know what to do.  You work hard now so you don't have to work hard in the future.

Wow...it's just like have my mom back again! Happy Mother's Day WVU!!!!

• Like 2

I tell you, these last few days have made me renew my appreciation for the RB-5's. Holy cow, the kind of power they spit out on their own is something else. No wonder so many people rave about these guys. I don't feel disconnected from my system hardly at all...

• Like 1

Wow...it's just like have my mom back again! Happy Mother's Day WVU!!!!

Yeah, I've been called a mother-something-or-other once or twice in my life.  Nothing new to see here.  :rolleyes:

Did you have a good mother's day, Dave? :lol:

With finals being over now...the bottom row has gone dark and silent...kinda sad :(

post-58712-0-16360000-1463017646_thumb.j

While it's gone, I think I'm going to mess with repainting the room, replacing the rest of the wall receptacles and switches, and refresh the wire management. (Man, I just got that UPA-1 too...)

May do some updates to the interconnects too. Figure I'm going to take the time where I am out some gear to clean things up...cause why not?

• Moderators

For music I have always been 2.0.  Full range speakers rock.

I agree, multi channel is OK but a good 2 ch is my favorite, and i don't feel like I'm missing anything at all.