Need advice for second amplifier for 7.1.4 Atmos HT setup

toomnymods

Monster cable is a joke. Don't waste your money. Audio quest is overpriced by a large margin. Again don't waste your money. Blue jeans is good. Tons of people swear by monoprice. I have a 5 piece set of Emotiva X series I don't use but they aren't ten feet

Monster cable is a joke. Don't waste your money.

+1 on that. 

I own a couple of sets of bluejeans 7 channel rca's. They are well made. 

I have now gone you monoprice XLR.... While the monoprice are decent quality. 

Bluejeans are high quality. 

G.E.M 

• Like 1

Monster cable is a joke. Don't waste your money.

+1 on that. 

I own a couple of sets of bluejeans 7 channel rca's. They are well made. 

I have now gone you monoprice XLR.... While the monoprice are decent quality. 

Bluejeans are high quality. 

G.E.M 

what series of bluejeans rcas is good to use? they offer 3 types. I'd like to get the braided Techflex so the "stiffest" LC-1 RCA's is out of the question as they don't offer braiding on the stiff rcas. So that leaves the belden 1505F or the belden 1694A

Obviously if the sonic quality is that much greater on the stiffer LC-1 rca's i'll just ditch the idea of the Techflex braiding and get this instead.

I have a multi channel (8) set of the Belden LC-1 cables with the tech flex braided cover from Bluejeans. Great quality at a fair price. I tried monoprice rca's but they were an extremely tight fit and did not want to force on or have to pry open wider.

Edited by Tasdom
  • Like 1

I have a multi channel (8) set of the Belden LC-1 cables with the tech flex braided cover from Bluejeans. Great quality at a fair price. I tried monoprice rca's but they were an extremely tight fit and did not want to force on or have to pry open wider.

was it really ridged with the techflex? I'm only doing a 5 channel so I want it to be able to make 45 degree turn into my cabinet and not look all weird if you know what I mean..

was it really ridged with the techflex? I'm only doing a 5 channel so I want it to be able to make 45 degree turn into my cabinet and not look all weird if you know what I mean..

That could be an issue. The individual cables aren't so bad but the bulk cables wrapped in the techflex would be difficult to make a 45 imo

• 3 weeks later...

Well after searching for over two months I gave up.. I said screw it and went ahead and called Standout Designs and asked if they would deviate from their Haven design a tad to allow bigger compartments for my audio gear and my center channel speaker. They said they would do a custom order but would have to charge for it, at this point I didn't care I just wanted a top notch product that would keep my equipment cool and happy, and hidden somewhat. The cost with the holiday discount and my military discount took a good portion off smile.gif Ended up only being $2,600 Some might think this is outrageous but IMO you get what you pay for. I didn't want pressed, glued together particle board with laminate. I wanted real wood and something that would last. Should be here in 2 weeks I can't wait..

This is the model I went with

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r621/toomnymods/Home%20Audio/haven_zps5ghrwaq4.jpg~original

View with the back panel off to show the wiring holes they make in the wood and the cooling slots to allow heat to rise on each shelf

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r621/toomnymods/Home%20Audio/haven%202_zpsy1qzl7oy.jpg~original

Bottom drawer will hold my 200 dvd's blu-rays, and ps4 game controllers

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r621/toomnymods/Home%20Audio/haven%204_zpsdsnnzfbt.jpg~original

Back view with the back panel on (also can leave off the back panel for the center channel speaker if it's ported.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r621/toomnymods/Home%20Audio/haven%203_zpsao4x6dda.jpg~original

Also has panels you can remove to install their active cooling fans.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r621/toomnymods/Home%20Audio/haven%205_zpszgtan8po.jpg~original

Edited by toomnymods

After owning my receiver for about a week and playing some DTS-HD, and Dolby Atmos blu-rays I noticed I was only getting 5.1.4 out of my 11 channel receiver. I didn't realize that I would need a extra amp to get those extra two rear surrounds to play during the movies

I am a little lost. The 5.1.4 is 11 channels so I'm not sure what you are expecting that the AVR is not doing.  If you use those rear surrounds with separate amp as you suggest, what Atmos or other configuration will you have, would that be 7.1.4??

Are you bi-amping your L/R?  I don't think so, but I thought I'd ask.

Edited by wvu80

After owning my receiver for about a week and playing some DTS-HD, and Dolby Atmos blu-rays I noticed I was only getting 5.1.4 out of my 11 channel receiver. I didn't realize that I would need a extra amp to get those extra two rear surrounds to play during the movies

I am a little lost. The 5.1.4 is 11 channels so I'm not sure what you are expecting that the AVR is not doing.  If you use those rear surrounds with separate amp as you suggest, what Atmos or other configuration will you have, would that be 7.1.4??

Are you bi-amping your L/R?  I don't think so, but I thought I'd ask.

I'm running the Emotiva gen3 XPA-5 on my L/C/R and the side surrounds that is 5 channels. The atmos front in my towers, the atmos in ceiling behing my couch is two channels, and the rear surrounds is the final 2 channels for a total of 11 channels the final 6 channels is ran by my Yamaha receiver. The Yamaha rx-a3050 will only process (and play) 9 channels till you add atleast a 2 channel amp which allows it to process a total of 11 channels. It doesn't consider the sub a channel since it doesn't provide any power for it. Yes my setup right now is a true 7.1.4, but soon will be a 7.2.4 soon as I add 2 seaton 15" subs and get rid of this weak klipsch 12" sub..

Edited by toomnymods