Help please to recommend a setup for my coffee shop

Hi. Can you help with with a commercial application please? I need a sound system for my coffee shop. I would like really good sound quality yet I need to be mindful of the cost and want to keep it simple. Here's the setup:

* Space is rectangle shape, 1000 feet (roughly 25 x 40). All dry-walled. Polished concrete floor, flat 12 ft dry-walled ceiling. It's pre-wired with Fluid 14 gauge speaker wire in four places, two each along the 40' walls, about 9' off the floor, facing one another. Space has a 8x8 bathroom in one corner so speaker on that wall and parallel wall is about 4' from that wall. 

* I have a friend who has Klipsch surround sound for his house and loves it. He suggests four, RP240S speakers mounted on the walls. 

* I'm not an audiophile

* I'm not sure where I'm getting the music from. I would like to create playlists as opposed to paying for a music service. Does this mean I use a USB, a CD, an internet connection? Don't laugh, I'm not up with the times. Maybe someday I would also use a turntable input for nostalgia but this may never happen. 

* I'd like to have "album happy hours" and other events where the music is more a focus than a typical coffee shop. 

* It would be fantastic if there was a reasonable used driver (is that the term - Ha!) that would be effective and affordable.

I'm happy to supply missing information. Suggestions please! Thanks. 

I think having a speaker that is also interesting to look at from a design perspective would be very cool... la scala, either the home version or the commercial version would be an extremely nice additional to your facility.

They dont really cost an arm and a leg either...

25x40 is about the size of my listening space at home...

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

As for a player, I like my Integra DTM 40.7. It will power your speakers and has wifi, Apple Airplay, 6 or more types of internet radio, USB thumbdrive or external HD , AM, FM, wifi Android remote control, wifi Apple iPhone/iPad remote control, and bluetooth. You would just hook up your 4 speakers to the A Left/Right and B Left/Right speakers, and if you want you can have a pair on Zone 2. There are also two sub outputs. My unit is connected to a pair of Heresy's inside on speaker A, and a pair Paradigm Cinema 200's outside on speaker B. Nothing is connected to zone2 ATM. You will need to price it at an Integra dealer. Integra is dealer only Onkyo, and tends to be a bit more robust, but not always.

Edited by mustang guy

• Moderators

Hi. Can you help with with a commercial application please? I need a sound system for my coffee shop. I would like really good sound quality yet I need to be mindful of the cost and want to keep it simple. Here's the setup:

* Space is rectangle shape, 1000 feet (roughly 25 x 40). All dry-walled. Polished concrete floor, flat 12 ft dry-walled ceiling. It's pre-wired with Fluid 14 gauge speaker wire in four places, two each along the 40' walls, about 9' off the floor, facing one another. Space has a 8x8 bathroom in one corner so speaker on that wall and parallel wall is about 4' from that wall.

* I have a friend who has Klipsch surround sound for his house and loves it. He suggests four, RP240S speakers mounted on the walls.

* I'm not an audiophile

* I'm not sure where I'm getting the music from. I would like to create playlists as opposed to paying for a music service. Does this mean I use a USB, a CD, an internet connection? Don't laugh, I'm not up with the times. Maybe someday I would also use a turntable input for nostalgia but this may never happen.

* I'd like to have "album happy hours" and other events where the music is more a focus than a typical coffee shop.

* It would be fantastic if there was a reasonable used driver (is that the term - Ha!) that would be effective and affordable.

I'm happy to supply missing information. Suggestions please! Thanks.

You should post this in the pro-sound section of this forum. If you want to wall mount speakers you want something from KPI series. Folks like the Hard Rock put them in, it's just a matter of how many you need.

As for not paying for streaming service, you pay one way or the other. If you are in the US, and play from a list you make you will meet ASCAP sooner or later.

Go with the 4 speakers.   I've been in many music stores around that size and they either have 2  speakers or 4.   2 speakers always seem to sound weaker. 

We were testing a bunch of speaker in a music store.  This guy had donated some nice book shelf monitors and there were also much larger Horn type speakers (They were klipsch like)  

The monitors might have been better sitting in a tiny space right in front of them.  But the larger speakers just blew them away in terms of filling the room with usable bass and sound.  Was not even close.   The guy that donated the monitors was in disbelief.  Like these are better I tell you, the specs say blah blah,  Sadly he came to terms with it after A/B ing them.

Also 4 will fill the room more evenly than 2.   Make sure they are 8 ohm spears so you can easily drive them with any A/B receiver or amp.  You don't need to get fancy and over spend on the speakers.  

Now using HT rears will give you 8 speakers. might sound better or worse not sure.   I've heard 4, one in each corner but 4 larger sounded better than 4 small monitor type in same set up.    Depends, those little klipsch will sound thin vs larger speakers will be easier to mount as they look small.

I think that 4 x Klipsch idea might be good.  Does your buddy have 4 of them to try?  Its best to try for sure.  You can't do it from paper specs alone.  

It would be fantastic if there was a reasonable used driver (is that the term - Ha!) that would be effective and affordable. I'm happy to supply missing information. Suggestions please! Thanks.

Many here will suggest solutions without really knowing what your needs are beyond what you've mentioned above.  For instance:

1) Are you planning to hang the speakers from the wall/ceiling?  If so, what maximum size (height, width, depth) are you willing to accommodate?

2) How many loudspeakers were you thinking about using? Two?, Three? Four? More than four?  Are you thinking about using a TV?

2) What measure are you using to evaluate "goodness": the sound quality, the price, or the form factor (size)?  If more than one factor, can you rank them in approximate order?

3)  What price range were you thinking about (min, max)? 

4) Were you thinking about resale value of the loudspeakers?

Chris

Edited by Chris A

I think almost anything you get will be good enough.  Many places use ceiling flush mount speakers others use small ADC all weather speakers etc.   I don' think think I have heard anyone say "Lets leave this coffee shop, these speakers suck"    I think just having sound and music choice is more important that agonizing over which kind type etc.    Most people don't really care, its the audiophiles that care.

It should be easy to find some videos on Ytube of Japanese Bar stereos, or music Cafes

Some great two channel systems with a Turn Table for vinyl are used this way. Usually up on a platform or behind the bar

As stated above, a pair of LaScalas will be the best sound most of your customers have ever heard.

The LS can fill a movie theater, so I don't think your space will be a problem.

Less than $2K used if you shop around for a mint pair or new