Moved into a old house with crawl space - suggestions?

TheFiend1

Boominess is a term usually only

Found in cheap sub.

Or a Cornwall...
sounds like a placement issue there. My Cornwalls have great bass. Nothing boomy about them. Of course I don't have them in corners like reccomended to get the deepest notes from them.

It was at Klipsch HQ in Indy... I guess I just prefer horn loaded bass over direct radiators, but I didn't like it when I heard it, and I'm not the only one. Even the Klipsch personnel weren't happy with it and thought someone messed with the room eq.

Bruce

wouldnt be the first time I've heard about speakers sounding bad their at Klipsch. Guess they make a good speaker but not so good at figuring out proper placement in the room for them to sound their best. But I hear ya

There is a trick for subs.     Put the sub where you sit and then go looking for the best spot in the room.    That spot becomes your spot for the sub.     Also I had my surrounds right where yours are.   When I moved them forward that wall of sound from the TV improved along with the stereo effect.   A bit less surround but a lot more stereo and my ears like that wall of sound effect.    I little trial and error experimenting on your part is the best way to go.    Let your ears be the judge.

:)

You have just explained the sub crawl and I agree completely. See post 10 above.

and it usually ends up in where you don't want it :)

• Like 1

Boominess is a term usually only

Found in cheap sub.

Or a Cornwall...
sounds like a placement issue there. My Cornwalls have great bass. Nothing boomy about them. Of course I don't have them in corners like reccomended to get the deepest notes from them.

It was at Klipsch HQ in Indy... I guess I just prefer horn loaded bass over direct radiators, but I didn't like it when I heard it, and I'm not the only one. Even the Klipsch personnel weren't happy with it and thought someone messed with the room eq.

Bruce

Poor placement will make La Scalas boomy too.   I prefer horn bass as well though

Well, my home is almost 100 years old, hard wood floors (but they are carpeted - planning on getting rid of the carpet).  I agree with what everyone else is saying....however, most of the people answering have multiple subwoofers.  Your room is on the bright side acoustically (hard walls, floors, glass, pictures with glass, etc.).  I'd treat your first refection areas and I'd put bass traps in your corners.  You more than likely have several room modes going on too. Many people don't like bass traps - I've learned to appreciate them (but what's even better than bass traps IMHO....multiple subs to cancel out room modes and ringing). 

Having a crawl space means you should blow off the box subwoofers and install an IB to make use of that space.  Good as a horn loaded sub and takes up no space.

Dave

Interesting that you are the first person to bring that up. It is without a doubt a wonderful solution!

One question comes to my mind when installing IB's. How do you actually know where the IB(s) should be placed? Do a sub crawl with a regular sub first, then pop an IB box on the floor there? If you put it on the walls like Carl, how do you know it isn't going to sound awful in the room in that position? 

Edited by mustang guy

Never seen an IB in the crawl space.  Would be interesting but everybody seems to put them in the ceilings and sometimes walls.  Also curious as to how it would sound outside the house.  Wanted to do it in my room but it kind of freaked my wife out.  Build a brand new house, instantly cut the floor all up.  WAF usually isn't a problem for me but yeah that didn't fly too well.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Never seen an IB in the crawl space.

Somewhere on "itshifi", Seti's (Ian) site there is a picture of a massive sub-floor IB installation.  Should work every bit as good as ceiling or walls. 

Didn't know it was a rental, but it could be done in a reversible way.

Dave

Hey guys!

Sorry for suddenly going MIA. Got really busy with work all of a sudden. I really appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions! Ive never heard of an IB subwoofer till now but because im in a rental I think im going to have to pass on that. Maybe if I had some more space around me (like a few acres haha) maybe I could get away with it. Houses around here in southern Cali are pretty close to each other and id rather not piss off the neighbors too much too soon! :)

Ive never had a sub yet in my system because I was in an apartment for quite awhile but now im fully ready to plunge. Question is - should I get a PB-2000 now with the intention of getting a 2nd one in the future? Or do I get a single PB12-Plus? Im not looking for ball-splitting bass but I am looking for something thats got some good punch. :D 

I took some pics in the daylight - much better!

post-40516-0-45760000-1463964668_thumb.j

post-40516-0-36840000-1463964675_thumb.j

Well where would the sub go?

Well Im guessing (or hoping) it will work along either the left or right wall or maybe in the left corner by the lamp. The lamp I can move if needed but the fig tree has to stay there unfortunately.

Lol @mustang guy