Inherited speakers.

Hi, I have recently inherited some speakers from my father.  Not sure how to date them-- they are model KBWO and serial number 18W315.  What can I determine from this serial number?    I am pretty ignorant when it comes to speakers and audio equipment, so any information would be appreciated!  

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to hear that you lost your father. My condolences. 

These are some of the greatest speakers Klipsch ever made and were designed by the great Paul Wilbur Klipsch himself. The Klipsch company was built on these and Heresy's. Klischorn speakers were designed to go into corners so as to take up a small amount of floor space, and they use the floor and the two walls and then up to the ceiling as an extension of the bass horn in the bottom part of the cabinet. This amplifies bass naturally ( passively ). The midrange and tweeter are high up where the listener's ears are just like a pair of million dollar speakers. The first 3 1/2' of the speaker face is blank so you can put something in front of it without worrying about affecting the sound, unlike million dollar speakers.

Do you have a room you plan on using these in? If so, are there two adjacent corners which these will fit in? You don't need to have these as a part of your home theater, but you certainly can. They are wonderful for filling a room with music and stereo listening. A single watt of music will fill a room with immersive music. Much of the time, you will need a fraction of a watt. If you want to turn up that song you love, you can blast them. 

Please post some pictures of the speakers and the room you want to use them in. If you plan on selling them, tell us that too. We have a garage sale section. 

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 2

Hi, I have recently inherited some speakers from my father.  Not sure how to date them-- they are model KBWO and serial number 18W315.  What can I determine from this serial number?    I am pretty ignorant when it comes to speakers and audio equipment, so any information would be appreciated!  

You very lucky. Your father had great taste in speakers.  :emotion-29:  :emotion-29:  :emotion-29:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After getting much assistance from my brother, I have the Klipschorn's set up!   :) The room they are in is not ideal, as it isn't big enough, but I don't want to part with these so I made it work for now!   Here are a couple of pictures-- there is still some remodeling to take place in the space they are in, so it is a bit of a mess!

post-63093-0-07360000-1463972669_thumb.j

post-63093-0-85080000-1463972895_thumb.j

• Like 3

Welcome bluebird.  Nice looking speakers you have there.  I am glad you decided to hold on to them.  Most people have no interest in keeping stuff like this from their parents.  Did you inherit the McIntosh tuner and Dynaco amp.  I think your dad had great taste in great sounding gear.  All of those items go well together.  You will enjoy those for years to come. 

Welcome bluebird.  Nice looking speakers you have there.  I am glad you decided to hold on to them.  Most people have no interest in keeping stuff like this from their parents.  Did you inherit the McIntosh tuner and Dynaco amp.  I think your dad had great taste in great sounding gear.  All of those items go well together.  You will enjoy those for years to come. 

Dude,

Yes, inherited those as well.   As a musician, he had impeccable taste in audio gear.  We tried to get his McIntosh power amps working and considering that they were found buried under a bunch of stuff under the house, they are doing okay-- but I think I will need to invest a little bit of money to get them to where they need to be.  

• Like 2

Thanks SonicSeeker.  The love of music has been strong in my family for generations and I too wanted to pass that down to my children.  I am happy to say that one of my daughters is a professional musician, so I look forward to hearing her newest release on this system!  

• Like 5

Some great great gear, looks like a Dynaco ST70 tube amp (If it has been off for a long tme you should have it checked out for safety, etc.), Teac 4 track tape deck. Some nie equipment.

If you are on East coast, Terry Dewick does suprb work on Mac gear...

Welcome to the forums!

Oh, the Khorns... right to the top!

Buce

Also with the Walnut Klipshorns, it might not be a bad idea to give them a quick rubdown with mineral spirits to clean them, and then put a fresh coat of Watco walnut Danish oil on them:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_81303-90-000000000000065751___?productId=3153399&pl=1&Ntt=watco+walnut+danish+oil

At about $8, the fresh walnut oil really makes a nice visual difference; kind of an iridescent shimmer.  Plus, it's so easy to do, even I can do it.  :lol:   They should be oiled every 6 months or so.

Welcome to the forum bluebird....

Yes you have some great Klipsch speakers........ really glad you are keeping them...... I think you farther would be very happy knowing that you are keeping his audio gear.... Like most here, this is not just stuff..... this audio gear is part of our lives.... we live in the music.... we feel it.... and seeing the gear your farther had he was part of it.... 

Enjoy the music.......

MKP :-)