Help please to recommend a setup for my coffee shop

coffeeman

Hi. Can you help with with a commercial application please? I need a sound system for my coffee shop located in Texas. I would like really good sound quality yet I need to be mindful of the cost and want to keep it simple. Here's the setup:

* Space is rectangle shape, 1000 feet (roughly 25 x 40). All dry-walled. Polished concrete floor, flat 12 ft dry-walled ceiling. It's pre-wired with Fluid 14 gauge speaker wire in four places, two each along the 40' walls, about 9' off the floor, facing one another. Space has a 8x8 bathroom in one corner so speaker on that wall and parallel wall is about 4' from that wall. 

* I have a friend who has Klipsch surround sound for his house and loves it. He suggests four, RP240S speakers mounted on the walls. 

* I'm not an audiophile

* I'm not sure where I'm getting the music from. I would like to create playlists as opposed to paying for a music service. Does this mean I use a USB, a CD, an internet connection? Don't laugh, I'm not up with the times. Maybe someday I would also use a turntable input for nostalgia but this may never happen. 

* I'd like to have "album happy hours" and other events where the music is more a focus than a typical coffee shop. 

* It would be fantastic if there was a reasonable used player that would be effective and affordable.

I'm happy to supply missing information. Suggestions please! Thanks. 

40' x 25' x 12'?  I think they would be just right for that space.  Although, I suppose it would help to further assess the OP's needs before blindly recommending something, just that that particular listing has everything he needs except a source, ready to go, at a reasonable price, not to mention it will crush anything aimed at the consumer/home market.

Coffeeman, how 'bout some pictures of the coffee shop, and a bit more specifics on your desired goals, budget?

Hi coffeeman, teaman here...

I would consider mounting some Klipsch bookshelf speakers or even some in wall speakers. Pair them with a solid sound source (maybe a nice receiver or preamp/amp combo of your liking and play music via itunes radio, Pandora, iHeartRadio, YouTube or whatever. You can easily hook it up through any entry level laptop. All these music services are free.

If you like that idea you can seek out a Pure i20 ipod dock or Cambridge Audio dock and send the digital signal to your receiver input via a single toslink cable, they work really well together. You can probably get by with a stereo receiver with four speaker capability (A/B) and use both pairs to power your four speakers. I don't think you are going to want overpowering loud music in a coffee shop. You may even want to mount a pair of speakers outside of your store front to attract customers or entertain them on a patio or something. 

Tim

* I'm not sure where I'm getting the music from. I would like to create playlists as opposed to paying for a music service. Does this mean I use a USB, a CD, an internet connection? Don't laugh, I'm not up with the times. Maybe someday I would also use a turntable input for nostalgia but this may never happen. 

* I'd like to have "album happy hours" and other events where the music is more a focus than a typical coffee shop. 

Since your place is relatively small, you could get away with a simple receiver and an internet connection, using Spotify, internet radio, maybe Pandora or similar, add satellite radio if you wanted to.  You could use a laptop to manage playlists if you want more control of things on site.  Then just get a cheap record player for special occasions.  Traditionally a commercial setting would have racks of amps and a satellite tuner sitting on the music channels but thats kind of overkill.  

As mentioned before, multiple CP-6's or a pair of Heresy speakers would be nice.  If you don't have any space for speakers, mount some CP6's up high and be done with it.  Distributing it through the shop would keep the volume down as well.  If you only have speakers on one end, it's going to be too loud for some people in order for the people 40' away to hear it clearly.  

• 5 weeks later...