Faux Surround from 2 Channels

Josh

Hi, my dream has always been to have a pair of classic Klipsch speakers.  When I first started to dream, it was a 2.0 world.  Now it is a 5+.1 world.  I'm putting together a new system for a new house, so I have my chance.  I can afford a pair of Cornwalls, but that doesn't leave much for surround speakers.  I'd be very happy with mediocre surround sound and great sounding music.

It should be possible to reprocess a 5.1 signal to an 2.1 signal that approximates the sound of the 5.1 signal.  My understanding is that the "down mix" option on DVD players just adds the sounds to the left or right channel and does not do any processing to make surround sounds sound like they were intended.

Any ideas on how to do 2.0 dream in a 5.1 world.

Thanks!

You could use a Heresy for the center speaker, and smaller Klipsch for the surrounds.

http://s56.photobucket.com/user/dkleitsch/media/passivesurroundandcenter.gif.html?sort=3&o=175

It's not perfect, but it is very good. Some of the car stereos I set up this way won best-of-show in big IASCA competitions (International Auto Sound Challenge Association).

• Like 1

Consider going just 2.0 (or 2.1) -- the rear surrounds in movies are mostly just sound effects.  A sub will do more for you than surrounds so consider getting a sub before the rears.  I was actually just watching a movie last night in 2.0 mode when I heard a distinct sound effect coming from direcly behind me.  It took me a few seconds to remember that I had no speakers in the rear.

3.1 is fine OP... rears really add spatial qualities and movement, but is NOT a necessity. You need a sub to produce low frequency effects and a center channel will really broaden the front stage and make pin point the action and dialog. 2.1 is also a really great option and if you can add a receiver that has multiple surround settings, that professing will help out spatially and with down mixing.

I thought I wouod never go above 3.1 myself, but now that I have a 5.1 system I am very happy I made the change. I personally love 5.1 music also, though selection is a bit skimpy.

• Like 2

When I was a kid in the 60's, just turning on a second radio in an adjacent room made the sound SOOOO "stereo".

Just two channel, with a pair of speakers behind you , is AWESOME without all this . point crap.

JUST my thoughts, old school,    Lars

When I was a kid in the 60's, just turning on a second radio in an adjacent room made the sound SOOOO "stereo".

Just two channel, with a pair of speakers behind you , is AWESOME without all this . point crap.

JUST my thoughts, old school,    Lars

No not at all, You may have had sound surround upon you , as if it were real...ishj.

Good experience to have, maybe... :)

Thanks for the thoughts.  Today I'm thinking of a pair of Cornwalls, a subwoofer and wiring the room incase I want to add more speakers.

Any thoughts on what woofer would go well with the Cornwalls?

Thanks!

I was using a 3.0 system with my television and Home Theater receiver and it was pretty nice (KG 5.5s for the L and R and a KLF C7 for the Center) and right now that system has been pared down to the same receiver but Quartets for the L and R anon Center...it sounded great and still sounds very nice...

I think you'll do just fine with whatever your choice is...I did have a bit of processing when using the 3.0 that I don't have in the 2.0 system but both are better than just the speakers that came with the TV...

Bill

My two cents

Start Cornwalls

Add a Heresy for the center 3.1, and possibly two more Heresy's later for 5.1.

If you still think you need a sub, add two of the RW12 front firing Klipsch Subs, I think they can be had for $400 ea.

I know everyone has an opinion, but I would try the subs under the TV and move them towards the outside gradually and see how you like it. I usually keep the volume down on them, but the odd cannon shot sounds good.