Conlon Nancarrow comes home...

Mallette

The below is a roll puncher belonging to Wolfgang Heisig, Burgstraße 34 04720 Döbeln, Deutschland beginning it's two week job of punching Nancarrow's Studies 3a, 3b, 3c, 3d, 3e and 21 "Canon X" for delivery to the Regional Music Heritage Center in Texarkana.  They probably won't make it in time for the Hope Gathering, but shortly thereafter we intend to roll the M&W AMPICO player out to the street and premiere these for the first time in his hometown.  I am VERY much looking forward to this!  I'll post when we have a date and any members nearby can perhaps join us.

Dave

post-7390-0-94880000-1462804303_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Partially.  These are, by definition, DACS.  No hole = 0, hole =1.  Of course, it is a digital/analog hybrid. 

Herman Holleriths other inspiration were rail conductors punching holes in tickets to record gender and other information.  Also early machines like our piano and the Jacquard loom which used punched cards to automatically weave rugs. 

The IBM Tabulating Machine was first used in the 1880 US census.

Dave

Beware of hanging chads.

Actually, you are dead on.  They happen, and can clog the works.  Largely only with new rolls...but the Nancarrow rolls will be fresh punched.  However, I'll bet our supplier will inspect carefully.

Dave