Custom Center for SF-3s

Hello. I would like to build a custom center channel speaker for my "HT". I currently just run stereo but would like to improve the intelligibility of dialog during movies. My mains are:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/sf-3-floorstanding-speaker

I was fortunate enough to find a second pair of these a while back. The cabinets are fair but the drivers are perfect. Ideally I would like to use 1 horn with 4 woofers and build a custom box for an OEM look. Questions:

1) How should I wire this up? I would like to use as much of the original crossover as possible, but would build brand new if needed. Should I just parallel the 2 sets of 2 woofers in place of the original 2 woofers and use the stock crossover out of one of the canibalized speakers?

2) Does anyone know of a Klipsch part number for a grill I could order that would match my current speakers, and be big enough for all 5 drivers? I would like to make this speaker look as OEM as possible.

Current sub details are here:

http://www.avsforum.com/showthread.php?t=2306602

Thanks for the help.

First of all, welcome. Those SF-3's are awesome speakers and the pinnacle of the Synergy line.

To attempt to shed some light on your issues, more will probably be following.

I can't speak for 1, but for 2...no. That's not going to happen. Klipsch did not introduce quad-woofer speakers until the RC-64, which will not fit that in any way. In addition, no 8" quad driver Klipsch speaker has been created.

I'd offer these suggestions however, in addition to your current thoughts:

1. The SC-3 is the center channel designed for that HT setup.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/sc-3-center-speaker

2. The KV-4 and KLF-C7 have similar appearances to the grain and grille of the SF-3. The KLF-C7 is a monster center channel, probably one of the best out there in the price range, and can be had at an extremely reasonable amount. I'd encourage you to look at this as an option.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/klf-c7

• Like 1

Thank you for the input and recommendations!

I actually have the sc-3 center and sb-2's for surrounds. However, I really feel the center cannot keep up with the mains and the system sounds better without it IMO. Hence the reason I want to build something bigger with the same components that are in my current mains.

Thats a bummer there isn't a grill that would fit. I have thought about how to make one that would look similar out of expanded steel with cloth over the top. I was just hoping to save that step.

I still think a monster center with the components I have would be a fun build and would sound good. Has anyone here done anything similar?

There has been some development on an RC-7 II center by Met. He repurposed an RF-7 II into a horizontal center. Otherwise, not that I know of. I think your main issue is going to be your crossover. Thus, my recommendation on the KV-4 or KLF-C7 is what I defer to personally. Not saying you shouldn't try it, just saying those two centers are renown for their ability to produce some heavy duty sound that rivals even the RC-64 to some.

I missed this thread the first time through, so I apologize to the OP.  Welcome to the forum!

I am a huge fan of DIY and I like your idea of trying to re-purpose some extra parts.  I also wanted to make my own "super center" but after going through the nitty-gritty of what it would take I abandoned the idea.  I lacked the skills to put together an enclosure, choose the correct drivers and design a crossover that would work properly.  I was going to spend a lot of money and spend a lot of time on a project that had a very dim chance of outperforming high quality designs available for less money in the used market,

I think Ibiza (Michael) gave you some solid advice about finding a great pre-listened to center speaker.  I think most posters here  will agree with him and the specific models he recommended. 

Does anybody have some alternatives or advice for Woody, or is Michael going to have the last word?

I bet another SF-3 would work as a center, but the OP wanted a four-driver type center like the RC-64.  I think it's a cool idea, just probably not practical from a cost/benefit-of-sound ratio.

Still, that shouldn't keep anybody from trying!  B)

Yes if I had a dedicated room right now I would just run another SF-3 behind an AT screen. Unfortunately for the next few years the "home theater" resides in the living room. So since I have the extra speakers I thought it would be fun to build a serious center. I know a MTM would be easy but the MMTMM sounds more challenging. Any help with the crossover would be welcome. The physical side of just building the enclosure I can handle.