Curious about Retirement

babadono

Have been curious about retirement as well after semi retiring now for less than 6 months.

The finances have so far worked themselves out with more time to consider them.

Finding more time to discover and explore interesting options too.

Thanks for asking.

Edited by billybob

Our finances are really good in retirement, will get better when I pay off one of the trucks in OCT. 

As far as my health in retirement, that is another story.  We tried to have decent money and health, turns out

I am only getting one of them,   I am not mad or resentful, just wish I could have played out the plan with the wife.

But she is tough like her Grandmother.

I retired from one job and immediately started another (which i’ll retire from in eight months).

the medical/dental costs associated with my retired plan are higher. Cost share is higher...that part sucks.

I’m declining the retiree coverage at my current employer.  It’s really expensive and i have insurance from my military pension, plus i’m allowed to go to the VA.  Don’t need a third coverage; but, i do need a new guitar.

• Like 2

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. So here's the picture.

Keith

Ahh, the "Redneck Riviera" been a long time since I have been down to the Gulf Shores region, beautiful beaches & great golf courses.

Well, I am now six months in and working harder than ever...but at what I WANT to do rather than what I have to do and no longer stuck in big nasty cities to do it.  Social Security blew my mind.  Fast, courteous service and when the lady kept saying "But wait, there's MORE" my jaw kept dropping.  Monthly extra for my son until he's 18 that will be enough to pay for 4 years of college, and the same for the PAW until my son is 16.  Medicare is MUCH better than reported and those I've dealt with a LOT more responsive and courteous than insurance people. 

And expenses are way down.  Life is GOOD in retirement!

Dave

• Like 3

I have, ahem... until recently, worked a a private school where the pay was ok, but not the best. All previous jobs were fairly low pay with little room for saving. Now that I am unemployed, I actually find my expenses a little lower, but I am looking to work for about 4 more years, to get some debt paid off.

For sure, we'll be moving to the Philippines, where we can live comfortably on $12k a year. As it is, we would have a hard time here in the States.

Bruce

• Like 1

I think I spend more being mostly retired, if you don't count things like mortgage payments, which most people have paid off by later in life. There is more time to do things, travel, and pursue hobbies and piss away money. Also, things like health insurance that was mostly paid for by employers is now all on me until I hit Medicare age, which is awhile off.

• Like 1