Tool Shed Audio - T12 mono blocks

Matthews

Gorgeous. I was sure I wanted brass but now I'm not sure. Anymore progress? What capacitors, power supply and transformers are those bad boys coming with?

Fond of the aluminum, myself.  Simply tasteful :D IMO

I don't know any details of what TS Matt uses. Perhaps he will chime in with some tasty details of the T12 blocks?  All I know is his amps are incredible works of art.  I used to be strictly SS and thought tubes were quite ridiculous.  Now, never to look back for me.  SS has its place, just NOT in my main rig. 

Anxiously waiting,

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 2

The man is definitely an artist. We talked about Hashimoto and Tamura Iron, and Jensen copper foil in oil caps. Some really tasty pieces there.

Thanks Russ!

Matt is getting the Hashimoto Power Transformers and Jensen Copper Foil coupling caps in his Mono-Blocs. However, because of the circuits' output current requirements (the vintage Tamura's are only good for about 60mA), he is getting a pair of specially wound dual-secondary (8 Ohm @ 100mA and 600 Ohm @ 20mA) output transformers. The dual-secondaries are necessary to allow Matt to use the transformer-coupled Line-Output (600 Ohm) to drive very long cable runs (if necessary) to his dual subwoofers.

TS Matt. :)

• Like 2

I think his upper end amps are pretty much built to order with some degree of customization. Well probably most of his amps are. Which is great if you have another person that will be living with them. The Genesis I ordered was probably the easiest hi-fi purchase pitch I have ever made. She looked at it for about 5 minutes and had no complaints. The most WAF I have ever seen in a product that I want.

Just caught your thread Matt.......... Oh yea I'm on board.... will be waiting for updates :emotion-21: . TS Matt's amps look awesome 

I used to be strictly SS and thought tubes were quite ridiculous.

Ya know all I have is SS..... couple Adcoms and alot of the Bob Carver amps.... But I can see down the road getting some tubes for sure... I think they look soooo cool. The speaker I would power with tubes would be my LaScala's :wink:

TS Matt your work is Awesome for sure :emotion-21:  :emotion-21:

I'm tuned in for updates.....

MKP :-)

• Like 2

Just caught your thread Matt.......... Oh yea I'm on board.... will be waiting for updates :emotion-21: . TS Matt's amps look awesome 

I used to be strictly SS and thought tubes were quite ridiculous.

Ya know all I have is SS..... couple Adcoms and alot of the Bob Carver amps.... But I can see down the road getting some tubes for sure... I think they look soooo cool. The speaker I would power with tubes would be my LaScala's :wink:

TS Matt your work is Awesome for sure :emotion-21:  :emotion-21:

I'm tuned in for updates.....

MKP :-)

Thanks MKP! I'm looking forward to getting Matt's Mono-Blocs finished and delivered (as I consider Matt within driving distance, I'm going to personally deliver them. :) This will give me an opportunity to hear his beautifully restored La Scala's myself. :)

TS Matt.

• Like 2

Why biamp?  

If the Genesis aren't getting it done, why not run the Transcendence 12 full range, do you feel they will lack in the hf compared to the Genesis?

If the Genesis 6 monoblocks (at 6wpc)  don't give you the bass you need in the LaScala, why are you going with 2 more monoblocks (@12wpc) to fill the void.  At the very least why not hit them with something  more substantial? 

Perhaps I can answer some of this question and Matt can add his own $0.02

The Genesis6 is a stereo amplifier, not Mono-Blocs. Matt is currently running them with 6L6 type output tubes which in this design yield nearly 6 watts per channel (plenty to drive the bass-bins of his La Scala's). However, as good as any 6L6 is (wired single-ended AND as a Pentode, driven by a Pentode) it CANNOT hold a candle to the absolutely mind-bending sound quality of the RCA "box-plate" 6W6gt. Unfortunately, this tube (like a DHT 45) is capable of less than 3 watts operating near cut-off. This is not enough power to drive Matt's La Scala's to the type of peak SPL's he enjoys.

The addition of the Mono-Bloc's will allow Matt to run the mid-range and tweeters with the Genesis6 using the 6W6gt outputs and run the bass-bins with 12 watts of single-ended KT-88 power. As the Mono-Bloc's as well as the stereo Genesis6 have discrete input level controls per channel, matching them to his passive split-crossover network will be a piece of cake. Additionally, since his Exodus Line-Stage has two pair of outputs, y-cables or other such compromises will be unnecessary. I expect the results will be fantastic. :)

TS Matt.

• Like 2