Another Klipschorn Newbie

esprits4s

Hi Everyone,

Although I just joined this week, I have been lurking here for years as I've owned a number of Klipsch speakers (KG5.5 x 2, KG3.5, Forte's, and Chorus's).  However, this week I picked up a set of Klipschorns and thought it was time to say hello.  These are a sequential pair of 1973 fir decorators in fairly nice condition that I purchased from the original owner.  Klipschorns have long been on my bucket list so I am always casually looking for a pair.  To be honest, I was far more actively looking for a pair of Cornwalls as I have fond memories of a pair my college fraternity used as party speakers.  However when these popped up locally I jumped even though my preference would have been for a fully finished pair. That turned out to be a good decision as it turns out that a fully finished pair would not have fit in my office which is the only practical place in my house for K-horns without building false walls. 

I got them up to the office tonight and have spent a couple of hours listening to them at low volumes.  I still need to do some further arranging of the room and find time when the family is gone to really put them through their paces.  However, so far so good.  It's late tonight, but I will be back with some questions on their setup.  The room is 15' x 32' and the speakers have to go on the short wall.  I know it's not ideal, but hopefully I'm not sacrificing too much. Currently, they are powered from a ST-70 clone.

A few pics:

IMG_2135_zpsurxbzzjv.jpg

IMG_2138_zpslwyqnjys.jpg

IMG_2137_zpsfsu05h4b.jpg

IMG_2132_zpsuacozodw.jpg

IMG_2127_zpsfmd0opiy.jpg

IMG_2130_zpstlpqekge.jpg

Edited by esprits4s
  • Like 1

Those seem to be in real good condition. Way better than my 72s were. You do need to refresh the caps though. As long as all the drivers working ...did you check each one?

And those original badges in that plastic bag are worth their weight in gold....lol.

May we ask what you paid for these sweet K-Horns ?

Make sure you seal the bass bin to the wall with some pipe foam.

There is a list of things you could do also check the rubber washer in the mid-range horn.

Welcome to the forum. 

Looks like you've got an attic room that looks like others that I've seen with slanted sidewalls and ceiling.  You'll probably benefit from this thread: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/152955-bye-bye-carpet-hello-echos/?p=1813193

Chris

Thanks everyone!  I got to spend some quality time with them this morning.  Very impressive.  I won't describe how they sound to the experts here, but wow, the dynamics.  I've heard Klipschorns before at other people's homes and at low volumes, but I've never sat down with a pair and really listened or tested that dynamic range.  Norah Jones "Waiting".... fantastic.  "Fanfare for the Common Man" gave me goosebumps:)  CCR Live sounded like I was at the concert, almost;) Listening to Ride of the Valkyries right now...  If this is the baseline, and the sound will only get better, I'm hooked!

All drivers work.  The bass is quite good despite a less than perfect seal with the wall.  Cosmetically, they are nice but not perfect.  A few of the corners are rounded, there are a few good sized chips out of the plywood, and one of them has some minor water staining at the base.  That being said, they are as original as original gets.  The wood doesn't ever appear to have been treated.  They are a year older than me, and are certainly in better shape than I am!

As for price, I paid $850.  I'm no expert on Klipschorn pricing, but I understand this to be a very good but maybe not spectacular price for a set of fir decorators needing updates.  I expect that a nice finished set go for substantially more.  I kind of like the unfinished look though.  I wouldn't put them in my living room, but they fit right into my office decor (if you can call it that).

I'm not one to dive head first into upgrades until I've spent some time listening.  I have a lot off reading to do first.  I am aware of Bob Crites and have purchase diaphragms from him before.  However, if cap replacements are a given, I will probably do that soon.  It doesn't hurt that the crossovers are so accessible!

Thanks again for the welcome!

• Like 1

Nice price and you could always repair chips and nicks and veneer the fronts. That would make them look awesome I would think and maybe custom tops to match the room angles.

PS do you an Esprit ? I have a Jensen Healey with 907 lotus in it.

Seriously, fill in the cracks and chips, two piece of bookmatched veneer on the fronts and call it done. A friend of mine had a pair of those and they were incredibly good.

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 1

Zeriously, fill in the cracks and cips, two piece of bookmatched veneer on the fronts and call it done. A friend of mine had a pair of those and they were incredibly good.

A few defects don't scare us off.  A bit of touch and now you have a great set of speakers.  Enjoy!