Klipsch Purchasing/Prices (Web vs. Retail)

ericobrien

I am currently waiting for a pair of Synergy SS-1's to be shipped from Yahoo shopping. The local Stereo store (Bryn Mawr) wanted 399.00 a pair, but I got them for 315.00 plus shipping through Yahoo! It seems we can save alot of money using the web! I am wondering if anyone has purchased through the internet and if they were satisfied.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Eric O'Brien

ericobrien -

A lot of people get in trouble here - jus because a dealer is selling "brand new, factory sealed and never 'B' stock" units UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES MEANS YOU HAVE A WARRANTY!!! You have a warranty if you buy a product from an authorized dealer, period. I could go to a local dealer who was in a cash crunch, buy a bunch of brand new Synergy SS-1s in factory sealed cartons with the original Klipsch shipping labels on them, and sell them to you. Have you got a warranty? Nosireesir. Also be careful of stores that offer you some alternative warranty that says the store will stand behind it even if the manufacturer doesn't. A lot of these "warrantys" are not legally binding, even if they are you have no leverage if the dealer renigs, and in any case if the dealer evaporates you're SOL in any situation.

Not saying don't buy them, by the way ... just be sure you understand the terms of the deal. Me, I'd go to Bryn Mawr and see how much off the $399 they'd come, and even if they didn't budge (very doubtful) I'd probably buy from them anyway. I'm one of those "support your local dealer" types - I've never been sorry I had a good relationship with the salons here in New Haven. I don't buy everything I audition, but I buy enough so that they don't mind lending me a Krell for the weekend to try out.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Jason577 - I'd get the name of his distributor and check it out on the Klipsch dealer locator to validate if they are authorized. I'd also guess that unless your receipt comes from an authorized dealer, you may have trouble getting any warranty work done for free! But I'm just speculating here...You might want to check the situation out with Klipsch directly at 1-800-KLIPSCH.

Just a little FYI about mail order / e-tailers. I have had the most enjoyable experience with J and R Music World. I have spent more than $3,000 dolars with them in the last two years and my friends have also ordered per my recomdation. I have heard that all of the staff members are very nice, but I have had great service from Charlie in Sales. The reason I even went looking for an alternative place to buy equipment is the lack of competition here in Cleveland. Most of the audio equipment in the hand full of hi-fi stores sell at list price with little discounting and customer servie. J and R is very careful in shipping your merchandise, everything is doubled boxed with airbags between the boxes. Their shipping and handling rates have been very reasonable, a lot less than the 7% local sales tax. It only cost $100 total for shipping and handling including insurance to ship my RF-3's, RC-3, RS-3's and HK AVR-7000 (50lb receiver). I still don't believe they can ship that cheap through UPS, I just pulled out the paperwork to double check the figure and it was $99.95. The total bill was $2,549.95 including the receiver which sells for $1,399 to $1,499 at the local dealers. All of the products that I have bought have a factory wanrranty. You really need to check with the manufacturer to make sure you have a warranty when you buy from any dealer, local, internet or mail order. I am not saying you shouldn't buy from a local dealer, it just didn't make sense for me to do so. I wouldn't just jump into a purchase like this, I had bought some other items from J and R in the past and had been very happy. The J and R contact information is on the dealer locator if you want to call them in the future. You can buy from www.JandR.com , but I would suggest calling them.

I hope everthing goes well for you. Good luck and happy listening!

JT

I just read my post again and it sounds like I am writing an add for J and R. I am sure there are other reputable mail order and internet dealers out there. And if you can get close to the same offer at a local dealer, than I would buy from that local dealer. I would say that I am willing to buy from a local dealer if they are with in 10% of an authorized dealer that sells through either the internet or mail order. Unfortunately my local dealers, or in Klipsch's case dealer, are not willing to compete for my business.

Happy listening.

JT

gentlemen, I do not understand why we are always so apologetic for buying on-line...I respect traiditonal hi-fi retailers but I often have purchased equipment on-line and fell none of the politically popular guilt for doing so...often the prices are better! I have bought from Crutchfield, JandR, Amazon's shops, Audioadvisor, Audioclassics and yahoo's shops and have had excellent experiences with all fo them...the basic rules apply...do not buy any item you would be better off auditioning first (only buy after you have acutally heard a component or do not care about hearing it!), only buy from proven reputable dealers (all the ones listed above stand behind their products)...I was forced into going on-line, a move from Manhattan to San Salvador will do that too you! but I am now totally converted to the on-line experience, where appropriate...so buy on-line without hesitation and feel good about it! regards, tony

one last note from the soap box...the sooner manufacturers start supporting the end users and not the dealers the sooner they will "get it" distribution methods will change (they always have) but getting the goods to your clients should be prioirty number one! I wish Klipsch would take this to heart instead of towing the party line regarding "supporting" brick and morter dealers...tony

I am all for supporting the local suppliers (my clients are local and they support me).

But what about people in areas that don't have locals or that the local sound store doesn't think much of Klipsch so they don't go deep with stock or selection.

I am beginning to think that this internet thing is here to stay and I don't see what is wrong with e-stores that sell at the standard price stucture?

*High Five* I just ordered a pair of Klipsch

RF-3's from Yahoo and got a killer deal! It wouldn't make ANY sense to pay 800 a pair plus tax at my local hifi shop! I got them for under 600 with shipping! Thanks again for your input Tony! It's time for these local shops to get the competitive edge!!

Happy Klipsch Listening!

Eric :-)

• 1 month later...

Buying online don't think so. I bought my Klipsch RF-3 RC-3 and RS-3 in a local shop. It took me almost 3 hours listing to the RF-3 and an Infinity Overture-3. I was a Infinity fan before I bought the RF-3. The seller was even prepared to put both speakers in my house for a week in order to make the right decision. We all know what that is. But would an on-line shop do that? Don't think so. Everybody wants to hear the speakers first before buying. That means 9 out of 10 you would go to a shop and listen. I just bought a complete set containing Yamaha DSP-A1, tuner, cd player, cassetteplayer, minidisk and the speakers RF-3, RC-3 and RS-3. On top of my discount I received all the wiring for free. And they didn't hold back on that. So now you know why I will buy in a shop and not on-line.

I am for local sales but I am not for consumer gauging. I just bought a Camcorder from OneCall. My local guys all wanted $1000 plus tax. That's about $1075 to walk out their door. OneCall delivered the same Camcorder to my door in 3 days for $773. I saved $300 bucks and got a full warranty from an authorized dealer.

My Klipsch KLF 30's here in town are $1800 period... From Uncle's delivered to my door $1300. I saved $500 on just that purchase thanks to the net.

From time to time my wife has complained about the computer and how much of my time it takes. All I have to do is remind her how many thousands of dollars it has saved us not to mention all the information it has giving us access too.

Here in Las Vegas the SS-1's were $399.00 at Goodguys and $349.00 at Ultimate Electronics. I prefer Goodguys. They matched the price plus 10% off the difference. I paid $344 plus tax. The best part is I have a bricks & mortar store front to go to with any problems. Local retailers want your business, whether they are national or mom & pops. Good luck and enjoy the tunes. VV.

Never, never, never pay the price on the tag. Find the manager, make an offer 15% lower and if he he thinks about you're in, otherwise just walk. I bought a Toshiba Cable Modem from Circuit City, list was $250 before rebate, I offered $210 and the salesman settled on $230 before rebate. Some of this stuff has huge margins and the smart salesman will work with you, just ask. The more expensive the easier it is. They more you do it the easier it gets. You can always beat the internet price.

If you paid full price for that new McIntosh, you paid too much.