Klipsch Purchasing/Prices (Web vs. Retail)

ericobrien

My local dealer is Good Guys and I spent about $2700 on list price for KLF 10's, C7 center and a Denon 3300 before I went elsewhere for the rest of my system. They are not willing to deal with anything other then list price here so I have since spent several thousands of dollars at non local factory authorized reputable internet companies that want to compete for my business.

I might ad that my local guy is unwilling to order anything that they don't stock too. They are also unwilling to sell any NEW updated versions of anything until they sell off their old stock, even if they loose a sale. They also had no problems at all lying to me about what they did and didn't have and what was and wasn't discontinued in an attempt to sell me what they wanted to sell rather then what I wanted to buy. If they don't stock it they won't order/sale it. My only local Klipsch distributor SUCKS!!!

Have not had any problems with goodguys. I went in yesterday for a last minute x-mas gift, my new Denon receiver was $25.00 less than what I paid 4-5 weeks ago (they were marking down the merchandise for the after x-mas sale), they rebated me double or $50.00 towards next purchase. My new sub. I have no attachment to goodguys, I just want the best stuff for the least amount of cash. VV.

one of the best places i have found for electronics gear is www.soundcity.com

they are authorized seller of tons of brands, and the prices are really competitive, they do it thru mail oreder over the phone...so internet buyers beware!!!!i have no ties to them, but they provide great service and are always willing to compete for your business... they are based somewhere in new jersey... enjoy the holidays all and happy klipschmas to all>p

Why does Klipsch not want to give warranty on new speakers that they sell?

If Klipsch only sells to authorized dealers how could you get speakers that they will not stand behind?

My local authorized dealer's salesmen (3) tried to talk me out purchasing Klipsch. I don't think they thought they were bad speakers, they just didn't like the sound as much as speakers that are not "horn driven".

Why Klipsch would want to support them more than the fans on this site I don't understand?

TKA,

Klipsch sells only to authorized resellers to protect their buyers. They make sure the dealer is financially stable so they'll be there if the customer needs them, they make sure the dealer follows reputable business practices (no selling trade-ins as new equipments, etc.), they make sure the dealer has a service department that has at least half a clue, similar things.

Product can get to unauthorized dealers through many different channels. Most commonly, say an authorized dealer has $250,000 worth of physical inventory, has cash flow problems, and needs to raise serious cash ASAP. The dealer can "dump" his inventory (at an auction to other dealers, or through the grapevine) at way below cost. He raises enough cash to cover operating expenses, and reports a net loss on his P&L thus reducing his tax liability to cover some of his lost profit. Meanwhile, a pile of speakers that were originally sold to an authorized dealer by the vendor are now sitting in the back of some guy's van. That guy bought them for way less than an authorized dealer pays, has no overhead ('cause he doesn't have a technical staff, say), and can therefore sell them for way below retail. However, if you buy them from this guy, and you have a problem, what do you do? He's not gonna stand behind them, the original dealer isn't going to spend money fixing a problem on product he dumped at a loss (assuming you could figure out who the original dealer was), and Klipsch isn't going to fix them because they try to protect their honest dealers by encouraging people to not buy stuff from unauthroized dealers like the guy with the van.

All you need to set up shop on the internet is a cheap Wintell server, some canned storefront web catalog software, a credit card processor, and a source of gray market product.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

As mentioned earlier I bought Klipsch rf-3 rs-3 rc-3 a yamaha dsp-a1 cd-player tuner cassette recorder and for free I got monster speaker cable and interconnect. As it was an upgrade from a smaller sytem I had some left overs. I bought only a couple of weeks ago 4 Infinity speakers worth 1150,00 guilders. But I had no more use for these speakers, because the old set is falling apart. So I went back to the shop and said I would like to have de mini disk from yamaha as well can we make a swop the speakers for the mini disk without any hesitation the shop owner gave me an almost full refund on the infinity speakers. The minidisk costs 744,00 guilders. I received back for the speakers 1000,00 guilders

So that is a good enough reason for me to stay with the normal shop and not going online.

By the way what is expensive if I listen to the Klipsch I think that they are not expensive for the quality you get. Normally I would switch on the set put a cd on and do some housekeeping. Nowaday I switch on the set and listen only nothing else.

Hi Ray,

I understand and appreciate what you are saying about supporting the dealers.

My question is that suppose... the speakers are still the best quality for the money, are supported by the factory thru the channels they now have in place and are not damaged during the closeout transaction mentioned...

I would think the factory allows a percentage of the wholesale price to be used for returned product or warranty work. Why would all the speakers manufactured not fall under the (factory) warranty and be serviced at authorized repair locations such as Audio Kings Fast Track Service Center?

If the factory is determined to support storefront dealers they could put in a buyback policy for dealers in trouble or dealers that overbuy on a specific product and offer them to other dealers.

Don't get me wrong, I do buy from Audio King

and have done so for many years. I don't understand the negative bias towards the internet.

TKA

Ray - great answer - you are putting BobG and PhilH out of work!

I try to buy some things from the local guys so that they can stay in business and let me listen to all their equipment w/o buying anything.

The other day I guy was in there looking at a Bose system - could not believe the size of the speakers - I said only one thing about them - that my friends love them - they don't see why I need the big old horns - that clinched the sale and he dropped $3K on the deal, just like that!

mail order is not for everybody, neither are big old horns ...

I see all of the above opinions and comments as valid concerns or beliefs. Unfortunetly not all of the local dealers in the marketplace are working in partnership with Klipsch. I am in the Greater Cleveland market and it is very hard to buy a set of Klipsch speakers around here. There is only one local dealer for Klipsch. They obviously know they are the only game in town so there is no discounting. I understand that they have this market cornered and they have the right to charge list price if they choose to. They should understand that in order for some of us the get the most for our dollar, we are going to buy mail order or on the internet. I personally purchased my entire system from a mail order dealer who is an authorized dealer for Klipsh. I saved $975.53 including shipping on RF-3's, RC-3, RS-3's, Toshiba SD2200, and a HK AVR7000 by ordering it all by mail order. To me that is a lot of money and it enabled me to purchase a LF-10 from UBid. I would have loved to have been able to buy these products from a local dealer, but they left me no choice. I have always supported local stores in the past, but it has become much harder for me to justify doing so at this point. I do not mean to offend this particullar local dealer, I understand that they have a unique situation that they can capitalize on for now. I think Klipsch should be actively seeking more local dealers, to promote competition.

This was just my two cents worth. Happy listening and enjoy.

JT

In earlier months there were complaints that people wanted to go to showrooms to hear Klipsch speakers, but there were limited numbers on display. Probably true.

Now people are saying they can get good prices by mail order. Probably also true.

The retailer who has the overhead for a demo room is in a bind. A potential buyer comes in, listens, and buys elsewhere, from some mail order outfit without the overhead.

You can see where this is heading.

Gil

• Like 1

Is there a corrolation between the web and cheap? Or between the web and better distribution and selection? The factory can set the pricing as they do now. However the person in the middle of Utah may not have a local retailer in his area, guess they should buy some other brand of speaker.

TKA

I also have just one local dealer here in Reno. What drove me to mail order is the dealer trying to force me into buying what they had. I was told that they could no longer get the KLF 20's, that's why I got the 10's they had. Also I was told that the KLF C7 was discontinued and could not be ordered, thats why I had a Ref. RC 3 center. I decided to find out if they (Good Guys) was telling me the truth and that's when I fould some very reputable mail order companies and their excellent prices on the internet. I did not have a problem paying the prices I paid, I had and still do have a problem being lied to time and time again and paying those prices. I am getting mad just thinking about the crap they tried to feed me over the Klipsch line of speakers I wanted to buy and the ones they wanted to sale.

By the way it was right after the reference line came out that I bought my Legends. So according to my local dealer the Legends have been discontinued for more then a year now...

The H*** with my local guy.......

I agree with RWMIN, you can't always go with "the local guy". The retailer nearest me that sells Klipsch seem to be a bunch of stuck up snobby salespeople, looking for the monster sale.

What I did was email some of the internet retailers and get quotes from them, I then printed them off, and brought them to another dealer who wasn't exactly close, but within reason. I asked him "what's the closest you can come to these internet prices". That's how I ended up with my KLF-30's for 1250. smile.gif

So if you are unsure about internet retailers or shipping costs, just use it as some form of leverage against the local guys.

• 4 weeks later...

To all Klipsch buyers- If you live anywhere near Canada, find the authorized Klipsch dealer there and buy there. The exchange rate continues to hold around $1.00US =$1.50CAN!!!! And you get your taxes back 15% when you cross back over the border. My local Klipsch guys could not compete with the currency exchange/economic issues which fluctuate on a daily basis. By the way, Canadians love US dollars especially if CASH.

Thumbs down to poorly stocked, non-negotiating dealers. On a positive note every Klipsch dealer I've been to has always been very knowledgable regarding Klipsch products.

Now heres my question regarding the new policy. What if the local Klipsch dealer or one that would "deliver in its own truck" doesn't have the specific product you would like? I mean most places let you order them, but I'd rather pay the 1200 or so that i paid for my klf20s at j and r and than having my local store (the only one being the wiz) order them...

Webmaster,

Your letter down loaded as a microsoft file which I don't deal with. I am assuming it referred to some more stringent distribution policy.

My question is...what is the current internet policy that you mentioned?

Thanks

TKA

I want to buy a pair of KLF30's but there are no local stocking dealers for them.There was several years ago when I bought thousands

of dollars worth of electronics by phone from

out of state companys.All the locals went out

of business.I wonder why?

mdeneen,

thats the way I see it too!Earlier this week I visited the only local dealer in my area to check out the Legend series.First off he bad mouthed Klipsch and tried to sell me Definitive.Then he offered to order and give me the substantial discount of $50 off MSRP of KLF30's.Boy do we need a GOOD Klipsch dealer in my area (BIRMINGHAM,ALABAMA ).

BTW I did purchase my Klipsch speakers from an authorized dealer here several years ago.

TTK