Any Shipping Ideas?

bklyn8

I purchased a pair of Cornwalls this summer. The guy I bought them from was the original owner and had the original shipping boxes.

I had the seller call for a one time pickup from UPS (I have shipped several item via UPS using the one time pickup option, where you call them for a pickup and they come the next day),the driver does not measure or weigh the box, they just pick it up with the paperwork they have and the dimensions you give them. We had to fudge on the dimensions by 1" on one measurement for the box to meet UPS guidelines.

Anyway, when the driver got there to pick up the boxes he said "Holy Cow" (or something to that effect), and the seller said "they just squeaked by the UPS size limitations".

The speakers were delivered in perfect condition for ~$80 (New York to Alanta).

Go for it!!

Here is my ongoing saga with UPS. I recently shipped a pair of KG 5.5's to Tulsa via UPS ground. When I attempted to check the progress of the shipping I found that only 1 tracking number worked the 2nd showed no information available. Upon reaching Tulsa the buyer advised that he talked to the local shipping office and that they had 1 speaker but could not locate the other. He requested that I contact the local office of UPS and see if I could learn what happened to the other speaker. When I contacted UPS I was told that they had until 7:00 PM that evening to deliver the package and that they could not trace it until that time. The next day when the speaker had not been delivered UPS put a trace on the package and stated that they would advise me of the results within 8 days by US mail. The buyer and I decided that in the event the the other speaker was damaged he should not pick up the 1st speaker and that we would cancel the transaction. UPS sent the 1st speaker back to me. Upon arrival I noticed that the box appeared to have been dragged behind the truck both ways and had approximately 8 punctures. I was contacted by UPS today and advised that the 2nd speaker is in transit back is pickup was refused in Tulsa. After explaining the situation UPS agreed to refund the cost of shipping the speaker that got lost. I can't comment on what condition the speaker I have is in since I haven't unpacked it yet. I am going to wait until I have the 2nd one returned and photographs of both boxes before opening them. I don't know yet if I will have to attempt to make a claim on the insurance but judging by the 1 box the cabinet will at the minimum be heavily scratched. The point of my ramble is that if you are going to go with UPS I would definitely insure well. Also I took photos of the boxes just before I carried them into the shipping counter. I feel that if I have to make an insurance claim it will help to have pictures of the boxes in perfect condition before UPS and in poor condition after UPS. And keep in mind that if there is an insurance claim the person who originally shipped has to make it. Good luck.

bklyn8, My opinion is that JDMc has offered to you some valuable advice.

I finally learned for myself the secret to avoiding UPS damage.Simply don't ship via UPS.Of course this is only my opinion,based on my previous experience using UPS.Your damage may vary.I could be wrong.

Keith

It isn't just UPS. I send & receive lots of computer equipment via UPS, FedEx, Airborne and many couriers. Any package greater than 30 pounds is likely to have lost the outside layer of cardboard, showing the corrugated part. Over 50 pounds will have rounded edges and corners: they actually roll it down the plane's ramp. I've had monitor boxes come more spherical than cubical. Did I mention the forklift punctures? These are all high priority, overnight, very expensive shipments. Do they care? Only about something being subject to a refund.

I watched a women shove one of my 65# boxes across 20 feet of concrete, then 10 feet of asphalt. I know a forklift would have been easier on her back, not to mention the package.

I'd say it was the heavier boxes, but I get lots of circuit board pizza-size boxes compressed with a large footprint suitable for framing.

Thanks much for the opinions. I have decided to have MailBox, etc. package the speakers (for a handsome fee of $100) and to ship via a reputable (so I'm told) trucking company. I hope they arrive in one piece. If not, I will let you know how many pieces they did arrive in.

Thanks again for the advice.

Fear not bklyn8......I had a pair of Khorns shipped from San Diego to Buffalo, NY with no trouble at all! I used a packaging service as well to pick them up an box them properly. They arrived without a scratch. I paid a bit more smile.gif then you paid, but it was well worth it in the end.