Klipsch vintage finish specs

TUBEHD

Hello all,

I'm new here, but thought this would be a great place to start.

I'm building some custom subs for a friend to go along with his Klipschorns (yes, I think he's nuts to add subs, but not my call). I want to match the stain exactly if I can, so I'm reaching out to the community. His speakers are from 1982 and the are maple veneer with a "C" finish. They have that "golden" color to them. Anyone know the exact stain used?

Any help is appreciated!

Thankyou

welcome to the forum.  as Jim said above pictures will tell the story

Klipsch made the k-horn in style B-C-and D

B = Collar

C = no Collar

D = Decorator

the C you refer to is not the finish but in fact the style of k-horn

i'm going to guess the label on the back says KC-BR for Klipschorn - C style - Birch Raw.

Maple veneer would be very rare on these speakers. the letter H would be on the label for Hard rock maple

X in the serial number stands for 1982

Edited by Budman
  • Like 1

It will also make a difference if they are an oil base finish or a lacquer based finish.  Maple is not a very involved finish meaning there is not a lot of graining in the wood.  Had a pair of Hard Rock Maple Cornwalls from 1973.

It looks like a small road trip for me to get pics of the Khorns and of the back tags. It's an hour and half each way, so I was hoping there was standard finishes someone could just tell me. Oh well, put the work in and do it right. What I need to do is get friends that can just send me pics, instead of guys that hate cell phones!

Take care all, more info coming.

Thank you

This is the back tag. The pic of the Khorns themselves was too big to post, so I have to work on reducing it. This is all new to me, so I'm really not sure what the heck I"m doing.

post-63156-0-25320000-1463590346_thumb.j

I double checked with the owner and there are no other tags on the speakers. I thought I was going to be able to avoid a road trip (and lose most of a day) when he could actually send me pics, but it looks to not be enough info. I can't get this wrong. If someone has an idea in the next day or so, please post it.

Thanks everyone!

Hello all,

I'm new here, but thought this would be a great place to start.

I'm building some custom subs for a friend to go along with his Klipschorns (yes, I think he's nuts to add subs, but not my call). I want to match the stain exactly if I can, so I'm reaching out to the community. His speakers are from 1982 and the are maple veneer with a "C" finish. They have that "golden" color to them. Anyone know the exact stain used?

Any help is appreciated!

Thankyou

There is no way they're that old... The copyright on the tag itself says "1985" and that type of serial number wasn't used until MUCH later. I'm not saying I'm correct, but that P/N makes it look like they were made in 2001.

A picture of the crossover would help as it should show the type... AK-3, AK-4

How did you come up with the "C" as a finish? Because that letter would be part of the description, on a tag, that shows what type of wood/finish was used.

I'll try to get a pic of the crossover. As far as the year of manufacture, I'm going by what the owner told me, so he may be unsure. The "C" designation I used was based on the distinction in a Klipsch catalog I have. The "B" collar version had a higher grade finish. On the "C" no-collar version, they used less coats of finish on that series which produced a satin luster. This is all new to me, so it's a learning experience. That's why I came here to the experts.

Hey, maybe he'll let me barrow them for a visual reference while I get the finish done on the subs. Of course, then I wouldn't get anything done, I'd be busy jamming!