Stock tips for fun

Bella

I'm more interested in short term gain potentials.

Well, that's your problem right there.  You like to gamble.  

Over the long haul, the boring, old fashioned Benjamin Graham approach will beat the gamblers each and every time.

• Like 1

I'm more interested in short term gain potentials.

Well, that's your problem right there.  You like to gamble.  

Over the long haul, the boring, old fashioned Benjamin Graham approach will beat the gamblers each and every time.

Ditto, what can give quickly can take quickly.  Stats are all over the map on day/swing trading, but chances of long term success at quick, big, short term gains are very slim.  Long term investing on the other hand, has a much better success rate.

http://vantagepointtrading.com/archives/13922 estimates long term success at 3.5-4.5% (success meaning profitable which means at least just over breaking even, not necessarily making big money)

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/day-trading-success-rates.html the dummies estimate failure rate for day traders at 80% in the first year (walk away and don't come back).

This is all strictly fun.

dummies estimate failure rate for day traders at 80% in the first year (walk away and don't come back).

Long term investment is the commonly accepted vehicle for growing money. If you can make 4% return over the long haul that's boring.

Day trading is another animal altogether. I believe you men term it 'hit it and quit it.' You can easily walk away with an STD.

Then there is the in-between strategy. 2-3% on the invested funds. Then use those gains for more buying power. 2-3% again on the invested funds. And so on. Doesn't that sound 'fun?'

Edited by Bella

Even Graham suggest scratching the gambling itch, it's human nature after all.  If the portion of one's assets they allocate to "fun with trading" is but a tiny fraction of their overall investable funds, I think that's ok.

I'm not sure who would settle for 4% returns.  DGI typically gets one in the low double digit percentages (historical market trend is up, so necessarily there is both growth and income involved).  4% is generally the yield target, but the sort of companies that withstand analysis (in the Graham sense) are exactly the ones likely to prosper over time.

Financial independence is not boring, even if the most proven method to achieve it is.

• Like 1

dummies estimate failure rate for day traders at 80% in the first year (walk away and don't come back).

Long term investment is the commonly accepted vehicle for growing money. If you can make 4% return over the long haul that's boring.

Day trading is another animal altogether. I believe you men term it 'hit it and quit it.' You can easily walk away with an STD.

Then there is the in-between strategy. 2-3% on the invested funds. Then use those gains for more buying power. 2-3% again on the invested funds. And so on. Doesn't that sound 'fun?'

If someone is disciplined enough to not keep putting the whole farm in - I agree.  Very few maintain that strategy for long.

Even Graham suggest scratching the gambling itch, it's human nature after all.  If the portion of one's assets they allocate to "fun with trading" is but a tiny fraction of their overall investable funds, I think that's ok.

I'm not sure who would settle for 4% returns.  DGI typically gets one in the low double digit percentages (historical market trend is up, so necessarily there is both growth and income involved).  4% is generally the yield target, but the sort of companies that withstand analysis (in the Graham sense) are exactly the ones likely to prosper over time.

Financial independence is not boring, even if the most proven method to achieve it is.

Agreed - a little gamble is entertainment as long as the corpus of the financial picture is not in play.  Financial independence is NOT boring - well said.  The process to get there can feel boring in the short term which, imho, is why so few Americans are there.  I earned 8% on $5,000 last year?  well that's no big deal... keep feeding that monster through monthly or annual contributions and after a few years 8% will feel like a very big deal! 

I'd even say it's fun!

People who get liposuctions get fat again very quickly, people who get rich quickly get broke quickly statistically.  Because the discipline of lifestyle change was not implemented to maintain either.

NFLX long term. They are here to stay and more viable every year. On the verge of China market, in fact their market strategy is to buy movies with investor money until they get China. This is working, and it looks like there isn't anybody in sight to compete with them. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'll start...

NYSE: AG

still going up.

pro tip: short AAPL

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ag&fr=uh3_finance_web_gs_ctrl1&uhb=uhb2

The one month update: AG up .45 cents. Not great, but money could have been made, just for fun. It has ran its course and I lost interest a few weeks back anyway.

I missed on the AAPL short.

Edited by Bella

When playing with "fun" money, I would buy covered calls on my stock, if the stock doesn't run up to the price point, you keep the money.Very easy way to make a few grand weekly/monthly. And the best part is if you get "called" on your stock, you make money.And then on the way down, puts are good.