Jolida JD100A Tube CD Player /Question/Opinions

billybob

Hello ,

Have been researching quality and user opinions on this unit. Feel that it would be an upgrade over anything I have here. Looking at a stock unit with no upgrades.

Ebay has no unit to compare in price for me, For a purchased new unit ,gently used for a couple of years with 9/10 electronics and aesthetics, what would be a fair price for this unit?

I realize that Jolida has at least a couple or more models like the JD 200, and the Vann(?), which may compare.

As always, TIA....Billy

I bought one new a few years ago with the mini mod.  I have rolled a few tubes and am using a bugle boy output tube.  I really like it but then again I have not heard many other players.  The remote is a heavy, well built unit.  The tray door on mine is a tad slow but then again I am an impatient sort of guy which comes with superior intellect I am told :huh:

I bought a hot-rodded model on the Forum for about $650 (I think). I like it. Be careful when shipping. Tape the transport door closed. Mine was damaged in transit.

Thanks Earl! It is local so, would just put it in it's own box to carry.

I bought one new a few years ago with the mini mod.  I have rolled a few tubes and am using a bugle boy output tube.  I really like it but then again I have not heard many other players.  The remote is a heavy, well built unit.  The tray door on mine is a tad slow but then again I am an impatient sort of guy which comes with superior intellect I am told :huh:

Thanks Tarheel! Yes, superior in all ways conceivable...

• Like 1

I use Mullard long plates in mine.....excellent sounding unit.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

SWL, I have been looking at the history here and found a post where you had less than stellar sound using the Jolida CDp hooked to an SS amp/rec/integrated.

Is this true and what were your results?

Any other's here?

TIA

I don't remember what that combination was but I'm certain it had to be inferior to the HH Scott tube integrated/Jolida combo. A match made in heaven.

• Like 2

I've had mine for three plus years and love it. Tried several sets of tubes with it and finally settled on Electro Harmonix 12AX7 Gold Pins. Quiet operation and nice smooth detailed sound. Comments about the remote are accurate, it's very heavy and one could probably brain a home invader with it. :lol: 
Regards, Sam

Edited by slovell
  • Like 2

The heart of the CD player is the Dac. Dac technology is always changing and upgrading. The Dac chips are always improving. This might be something to bear in mind when looking at CD players or any device that contains a Dac that is several years old.

• Like 1

The heart of the CD player is the Dac. Dac technology is always changing and upgrading. The Dac chips are always improving. This might be something to bear in mind when looking at CD players or any device that contains a Dac that is several years old.

Chip is maybe 20 % of the situation. Power supply, op amps, transport, firmware and others. A forum member I cannot recall brought his Jolida 100 over about ten years ago.

It was excellent for attack, decay, depth of soundstage and non fatiguing.

12ax7 is a sound I prefer.

• Like 3

When I am only playing 16/44 CDs, I have a very hard time telling the difference between my Jolida JD-100 and my expensive Benchmark DAC2 which has a much better DAC in it.  It's when you get to the higher resolution recordings you hear a more pronounced difference and the better capabiliites of the higher resolution DACs.

I love my JD-100 but one time a forum member brought over another CD player and whipped up on the Jolida pretty badly.  The JD-100 is a mediocre player.  Even with expensive tubes there are many better sounding players.  I beleive the one that kicked the crap out of mine was a Ah! with the up sampler in it.

• Like 1

Yeah.....since I've gone almost completely digital, I've found that my Maverick Audio Tubemagic D2 DAC sounds better than the DAC in the Jolida.

However, if I use the analog output (tubes) of the Jolida and convert from analog to digital through my digital EQ and then digital to analog through my Maverick DAC, the tube influence from the Jolida is awesome.

Chip is maybe 20 % of the situation. Power supply, op amps, transport, firmware and others.

In my DAC....I rolled different tubes and upgraded to discrete op-amps to get a sound that I wanted. Lotta fun. :)

• Like 1