Windows 10.....Forced!

SWL

While watching Netflix last Monday evening, it could be delayed no longer and did the 10 download. First couple of days was an egg hunt but liking well enough for now. Was expecting Nancy to not embrace 10 but, she has mostly no complaints to my wait and see attitude.

Was forced I suppose dragging and kicking into the latest version when, 8.1 was good enough for our domestic use!

Thanks...

Not forced but glad I did.  Though Cortana is a sneaky little booger. 8.1 was okay but 10 is clearly "better".

Spent some time now personalizing and dialing in the Chrome/Windows 10 combo. I like it. They tweaked a few things for the better. I really never use Cortana....I suppose because it links you to MS Edge. Google and it's voice recognition rules for me....on my phone as well.

Curious as to why Cortana is a 'sneaky little booger'?

Curious as to why Cortana is a 'sneaky little booger'?

Well, when I go into task manager and attempt to "end task"(Cortana), she disappears for a couple of seconds and then reappears.  She wants me to use her but I refuse to give her that satisfaction. ;)

Bill

• Like 1

I guess I'm lucky--Windows 10 popped  up (don't know why" and said it could not be installed on my computer which has Windows 7 32 bit installed.

JJK

Both my PC were set to automatically download and install Windows 10. It was not by me, and I managed to cancel the download before it occurred.

I suspect the automatic install was part of a windows update. I'm going to hold out from installing Windows 10 for another year or so, and give MS time to clean it up. Been burned too many times with their early, dirty, premature OS releases.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

W10 is definitely a better performing MS than all before.  But it's definitely "big brother." 

As to Duck Duck Go, I certainly like the concept but I still have to return to Google often because it really sucks on so many searches. 

Dave

• Like 1

The thing people forget is that "everyone" complained about 2000, XP, and 7 when they came out too. The problem, IMO,isnt the operating system, it's just that people hate change that much.

Bought a entry level Dell three years ago, with Windows 8 pre-installed...I thought Windows 8 was stupid, and it eventually crashed from malware. Threw in another hard-drive, and bought Windows 7. No problems...until the Windows 10 pop-ups invaded....on the emails, on the desktop, on the homepage! I didn't want Windows 10, and tried to figure out how to get rid of or disable the pop-ups. There may have been a way to do it, but I am not that computer literate...seems like there isn't a way around the pop-ups.

The pop-ups started to mess with the Windows 7 OS a little bit, causing some lock-ups on webpages.

I eventually gave in. The download was painless, and Windows 10 has been running without a hitch...it's kinda like 7 and 8 mixed together, but reliable like 7. (IMHO)

I killed Cortana. 

• Like 1

You might as well embrace it and start getting acclimated to it. Turn Cortina off, change Edge back to Explorer as default, add control panel to start menu, life is normal again.

Pretty much a good summary.  Even as opposed to the old desktop and start menu, I must say just typing the first letter or two of a program in the search bar is very nice. 

Reminds me of the speed of DOS.  Full circle... 

Dave

Didn't spend much time....I did see the FLAC setting.....but how do you activate WASAPI? Is it a seperate component that has to be downloaded/installed?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

One way to look at it, its a free up to date OS just like Apple offers, only you can actually do a little work if needed. I have one old puter still running XP and I wish I could get a free run of 10 on it.  One thing that is an oversight is naming the programs Apps instead of Programs.  Apps should be known as phone software, now there is no slang to distinguish the two apart.

About this "force" business, I am not certain how that happened.  I rec'd an app and a notification which asked me if I wanted the "free" upgrade.  I said yes, as I always have on the "every other version" upgrades as it only makes sense to have the latest OS since I was a professional.  I skipped ME, Vista, and 8.  But my understanding was that it wouldn't happen without permission. 

Of course, the only thing you can depend on about MS's word on anything is that it's certain to be BS.

Dave