Windows 10.....Forced!

SWL

What I don't like about windows 10:

1. It forces a download, which slows your pc down, then when it installs, it slows it to a crawl, then when it is really doing its thing, your pc is pretty much unusable for a long time while it gives you this creepy message about don't worry, your files are safe, with no Windows or Microsoft logo.  I literally thought there was ransomware on my system.  

2. It nixed the ability to start up in safe mode.  You can't do that anymore.  Yes sometimes it would be nice.  While installing Audyssey software, I installed an old driver that came with the kit which messed things up, and it would not boot up properly.  Ended up having to take the laptop apart and unhook the battery.  This is the only way you can truly make it boot up cleanly.  

It nixed the ability to start up in safe mode

It seems unnecessarily complicated as usual but doable.  MS W10 safe start mode -

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

The problem with this is that it assumes that you are already inside of Windows and can make changes like this.  If your PC screws up bad enough that you can't get into Windows like mine was, this does not work.  Used to, you'd just reboot in safe mode at this point and you're fine.  Not so much anymore.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• 2 weeks later...

My desktop tried to force the install over the weekend but I caught and stopped it. Fortunately, I keep the desktop turned off till I need it and shut it off when I'm done.

So if I don't want Win10 can I just leave that computer turned off till after July 29th?

I could probably do that since I do most of my stuff on line with a tablet.

I have images of Windows 10 Pro x86 and 64bit. Doing a clean install seems to work a little better.

My desktop tried to force the install over the weekend but I caught and stopped it.
  It always asked if I wanted to upgrade. Did they change this at some point?

Bruce

Someone mentioned if you hit a red X in the upper right corner it will download and install. I haven't seen a red X yet. My computer is old enough that Windows 10 popped a menu that said it could not be installed without upgrading the hardware.

JJK

I have images of Windows 10 Pro x86 and 64bit. Doing a clean install seems to work a little better.

My desktop tried to force the install over the weekend but I caught and stopped it.

It always asked if I wanted to upgrade. Did they change this at some point?

Bruce

It's been asking me since last year and I've ignored it (or hit the "X" to close the box).

I must have hit the "X" again this time, like JJKIZAK said, and it started downloading. I immediately did a hard shut-down by turning off the UPC. Waited about 10-15 minutes and rebooted, went through a command looking screen that asks if I wanted it to boot up normally. Since I have a cordless keyboard and mouse I couldn't hit "enter" to tell it "yes" so I just waited out the 30-seconds for it to choose what was already highlighted (fortunately the right one). During boot up it went into a self diagnostic mode (it passed) and then said it was cleaning up some files. After that it booted up and all was fine, but I kept a close eye on it to make sure it didn't do it again while I was working on it. After I was done I just shut it down so it wouldn't do it while I wasn't there. One of my co workers had their WIN10 forced on them during the night, probably because she leaves it on all the time.

Edited by Mighty Favog

I have 2 PCs tried #10 for a day one each when it first came out, went back to #7 home premium the next day it SUCKS big time.

How long ago was that?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

on # 10 they track your short hairs to your ***...  every keystroke

Yes the THOUGHT POLICE are very busy.