Preamp/amp question

dtr20

I think you want to trial and error.  I think the "volume" control on most amps is really a gain control which adjusts the voltage gain.  Some amps come equipped with them so preamp/amp matching will be more compatible.

Bill

If you're not suffering from 1) audible hiss, or 2) an overly sensitive volume control, don't worry about it.  If you are experiencing those, you'll improve s/n and have less of a hair-trigger volume control on the pre-amp if you reel in the gain control on the amp.  The general rule with system gain staging is to run upstream stages fairly hot (while still avoiding clipping), and only raise the gain on the amps high enough to achieve the desired listening level.  With higher sensitivity speakers such as ours, that is the recipe for a system with the proverbial black background.  I only use amps with gain controls in the Klipsch rig for that very reason.

What amp and pre are you working with?    

Edited by Ski Bum
  • Like 2

When I had the  Yamaha M 80 amp, I just turned the gain knob all the way up and then the avr would regulate everything.  Never had any problems with the levels or setting it to around 75 db for autocalibration.

Edited by derrickdj1

This is for my home theater denon avr-x6200w. I'm using a 2 channel Yamaha m40 for my fronts, and a 2 channel denon poa-800 for my side atmos speakers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you're not suffering from 1) audible hiss, or 2) an overly sensitive volume control, don't worry about it.  If you are experiencing those, you'll improve s/n and have less of a hair-trigger volume control on the pre-amp if you reel in the gain control on the amp.  The general rule with system gain staging is to run upstream stages fairly hot (while still avoiding clipping), and only raise the gain on the amps high enough to achieve the desired listening level.  With higher sensitivity speakers such as ours, that is the recipe for a system with the proverbial black background.  I only use amps with gain controls in the Klipsch rig for that very reason.

What amp and pre are you working with?    

Spot on.  When I set my amp's gain to match my pre-amp's output level, the La Scala's were just too sensitive.  Lots of hiss and they blew me out of the room with the pre-amp volume up below 9 o'clock.  I dialed back the amp's gain to eliminate the hiss and there is a much less sensitive volume knob with a usable range up to 11 o'clock.

• Like 1

Not too surprised since you never mentioned the typical gain-related bugaboos (amplifying noise).  If the noise floor is already inaudible, reducing the gain controls on the amp would only serve to make it more inaudible, which doesn't make sense, as you can't get less audible than inaudible.  High sensitivity speakers put one closer to that audible threshold, but if you're not quite there (by virtue of squeaky clean line level output from your AVR), you're good to go, and it's time to rock out to some music.

Edited by Ski Bum