1970 Cornwall Verticals

Hello all,

I'm new here... This is my 1st post.

I have a question about a pair of Cornwalls

and I hope someone here can chime in

With their vast klipsch knowledge and experience.

I'm about to trade my chorus (series 1) for a pair of 1970 model Cornwall Verts.

I haven't heard them yet,

and I'm hoping that I like them better than the chorus. So I'm either going to be pleasantly surprised, or sorry?

My question is:

What is the best way to remove the old linen type grill cloth, and put new material on?

I've looked online, and I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

There have been all sorts of stories floating around, and some even conflict each other.

Ultimately, I'd like to put cane grills on them,

Making them look like newer models with the newer 80's or 90's era klipsch logo.

I'm aware that locating authentic klipsch cane material may be near impossible,

(If someone has some, I'd buy it!)

but I've found similar fabrics from Wendell and other places that come sort of close.

Is replacing the grill cloth a difficult task that might cause damage?

If there is a "correct" way,

I'd really appreciate some insight.

(and what do you guys think of trading chorus 1's for Cornwall verts?)

I love the way the chorus sounds...

But the cornies just look so good!

Thanks.

You'll have to remove the motorboard by knocking it out to get to the material... or you can cut the fabric off and fabricate some kind of cover. not to much trouble if you have skills.

No natural cane exists as far as I know... but there is replica cane.

Chorus 1 are easier to find local, depending on location. If you are trading straight up with no money changing hands, I would be likely to do so, as Cornwall verticals are harder to find than other Cornwalls to come across, and more importantly, I have yet to own a pair of Cornwall of any vintage. A search here may uncover some comparisons, if they still exist in the forum's data base. At least for me in my searches, just browsing sale ads. Some members may agree that as old as the Chorus line is (88-89) that the crossovers need refreshing. Still quite a bit earlier Cornwalls then are indeed more of a candidate for a X-over refresh. Am sure some will disagree. Have only seen one pair of verticals for sale of late. If you see a pair with a Cornwall II sticker on the back, if I am correct, they were made later than 1970. Think maybe 1985 but not certain.

BTW, we have a pair of Chorus, and other Klipsch.

Edited by billybob

Chorus 1 are easier to find local, depending on location. If you are trading straight up with no money changing hands, I would be likely to do so, as Cornwall verticals are harder to find than other Cornwalls to come across, and more importantly, I have yet to own a pair of Cornwall of any vintage. A search here may uncover some comparisons, if they still exist in the forum's data base. At least for me in my searches, just browsing sale ads. Some members may agree that as old as the Chorus line is (88-89) that the crossovers need refreshing. Still quite a bit earlier Cornwalls then are indeed more of a candidate for a X-over refresh. Am sure some will disagree. Have only seen one pair of verticals for sale of late. If you see a pair with a Cornwall II sticker on the back, if I am correct, they were made later than 1970. Think maybe 1985 but not certain.

BTW, we have a pair of Chorus, and other Klipsch.

welcome to the forum

i have removed the grill cloth on one of my previous set of verticals ( 17 screws to remove the motorboard ) and made grill boards out of 3/16 masonite and put new cloth on. used the motorboard as a template to route out the openings

actually i made 2 sets, one in black and one in cane. did use some cane from wendell fabrics

Edited by Budman

Thanks for the input you guys.

Are the chorus 1's very different sounding from the Cornwall verts?

It's a little scary to trade a pair of speakers you like, for a pair that you're not sure what they sound like.

But I've always wanted a pair of Cornwalls, and this pair seems a bit more desirable because they are verticals.

As far as changing the grill cloth goes...

I'm not sure if I'm skilled enough to pop those motorboards out myself without making some sort of mistake (either taking them out, or putting them back).

And cutting the old cloth out seems like the easier way to do it, but how will that look?

I'm so confused here.

Hey Budman, thank you for the info!

So, is it just a matter of removing the screws

and then it just comes out?

If that's the case, I'm good with that!

How do you like the Wendell fabric vs the original klipsch cane material?

A friend of mine suggested

looking around at guitar amplifier fabrics,

(Like Marshall and Vox)...

They have some very cool "vintage" looking

Fabrics available for their retro stuff.

That might be a good way to go?

removing the 17 screws and then you have to tap all around, mostly down by the shelf where they used some sort of chaulk to fill the gap because of the thickness of the cloth. the cloth is stapled around the motorboard with at least 1000 staples.

50% of the wendell cloth is plastic.

i'd go with the black and you can get that from forum member bob crites @ B&K sound

http://www.critesspeakers.com/

Edited by Budman

Hey Budman, those look awesome!

I'm very tempted to go ahead with the deal and trade out my chorus for the cornies

after looking at your pictures.

What do you power your cornies with?

I was leaning toward an entry level McIntosh

Like maybe a 4100 receiver or a 6100 integrated... I've never owned any mc gear, but like these Cornwalls, I've admired them since I was a kid.

I have had a lot of vintage marantz,

And they do sound warm and smooth with heritage klipsch,

So I might look into marantz too.

If it's not too much to ask,

Could you give me some kinda impression

Of the Cornwall vertical sound character ?

I know everyone says TUBES, but I can't afford good tube amplification.

By the way... I've owned several pairs of heresys, and I've had quartets, fortes, and all of the KG series in the past...

So I've got a pretty good handle on em.

These chorus are the biggest klipsch speaker I've owned so far, and I have no complaints on them.

If the vertical Cornwalls sound anything like the forte or chorus, I'd love it!

I think the heresy is an (almost) perfect speaker, except for the lack of bass when compared to the bigger klipsch speakers.

(Using a subwoofer is not an option for me).

In my opinion, a nice walnut heresy with the cane grills, are absolutely gorgeous!

And I always thought, if the heresy dug deeper,

It would be perfect!

So, I'm guessing that the Cornwall fits that description?

Budman, some of the pioneer stuff is fantastic.

A buddy of mine had a little pioneer SX-780 receiver with his heresys, and it was a very good sounding combo.

I also had a pioneer SA-6500-II integrated amp that was pretty impressive for what it was.

I was using that amp with a pair of large Advents, and it was pretty good.