How to curtail a neighbor's dog from barking out of control

Superdave

Piratelike   

I love Dogs, but if none above suggestions work, IF they are in direct view, a LOW power BB gun VERY CAREFULLY shot at the rear end.

After a few times, I'm thinking like  3X+, they will stop.    Lars

Not exactly legal, Lars.

Piratelike             YAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR.   Lars

As a dog owner, I would hope if you have a problem with someone's dog that you would take it up with them. I would kill someone if they did something to my dogs. I am happy to work with anyone and I don't see how the dogs get the brunt of it because the owners are negligent.

• Like 4

As a dog owner, I would hope if you have a problem with someone's dog that you would take it up with them. I would kill someone if they did something to my dogs. I am happy to work with anyone and I don't see how the dogs get the brunt of it because the owners are negligent.

you sound like a very responsible dog owner, as one one would expect, but unfortunately not all dog owners are that way. I, as a dog owner train my dogs to respect the neighbors. 

I'm going to pretend that some of this discussion is not happening, as a rescuer it's kind of depressing.

As for the OP - if the dog has certain triggers, there are certain things you can do to curb the dogs interest in barking. See if you can identify any patterns or interest the dog has when he's barking.

• Like 3

I try to think of others when I act. I guess in this case if the dog owner is unresponsive to working with you I suggest calling the police. I know we had a man down the street that had his big shepherd cabled to a tree on his side yard. He would not respond kindly when people asked him to take his dog in or try to keep it under control. One call to the police and he gave his dog away to his brother. They warned him he would be fined every time thereafter they were called to his place for disturbances. Within six months his house was up for sale and on his way he went. 

I would like to get some ideas on how to limit the barking from my neighbor's two large dogs. They bark at any and everything. Unfortunately, the neighbor doesn't have any consideration for their neighbors.    I'm looking into some type of frequency device, such as a piezo tweeter at high freq. Please keep in mind that want to keep it legal!

a neighbor's dog being a nuisance can be quite appalling.  

They warned him he would be fined every time thereafter they were called to his place for disturbances.

Since animal cruelty laws were passed in every state, pressure has been stepped up on law enforcement to actually use those laws. There are a few counties in my neck of the woods where you can serve 10 to 15 years and a $25,000 fine for animal cruelty of various varieties. Several on the Illinois side actually will toss you right into a state court for it too. Neither of those things are exactly the norm, but fines are generally widespread these days.

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 1

Um, not sure if I am kidding or not on that one. I would not take kindly to someone shooting my dogs per say. Someone shot my in laws cat years ago and it had to be put down because the bb lodged too close to it's spine and it could not walk. Because of the location of the bb, it was inoperable. 

Surely you jest, right?

Apparently you don't acknowledge that some feel their dogs or cats or other animals in the home are the same as family. That's fine, but it's wise not to test someone's resolve with such affairs.

• Like 1

That is truly sad to hear. I am just wondering if it was pooping in a neighbors lawn regularly, or digging holes in a neighbors grass or something... Some cats do that, and the neighbors of the cat owners can get very upset over having poop in their yards everyday... there is a very fine line here... 

Um, not sure if I am kidding or not on that one. I would not take kindly to someone shooting my dogs per say. Someone shot my in laws cat years ago and it had to be put down because the bb lodged too close to it's spine and it could not walk. Because of the location of the bb, it was inoperable. 

I am definitely saying that shooting a bb into a cat is not right.. but if it was pooping in someone's yard everyday, then I understand where the shooter was coming from... all of this cat and dog bs all revolves around how the owners have raise their pets... go after the owners, not the pets!

• Like 1

go after the owners, not the pets!

Hear hear!

First step to resolve a problem with the pet is the owner. The animal is but a reflection of the care it has received.

The idea of murdering someone as retribution to a shot dog is incomprehensible though...even IF someone feels their dog is a family member.

It's fine that it's incomprehensible to you, but don't assume it isn't to others. That being said, I don't condone something like that, nor would I particularly do something like that, but I will say that the likelihood of me ending up in jail for a few days, and the person who shot and killed my dog would be in a hospital bed recovering from some serious beating injuries.

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 2