Forum members doing something for plant workers

ricktate

Why don't we start giving, and then make a decision after we see how much money we have?

If we're doing this for next year I don't see the need to start writing checks just yet, but just to get the ball rolling, I'll commit to a minimum of $100 on my part, probably more if I'm feeling generous nearly a year from now, plus if applicable, will sell any related equipment I can get such as amps at cost for the cause, like if you wanted to put together usable systems.  

Probably doesn't sound like much, but if every attending forum member (not even counting guests) chipped in that amount then bought stuff at wholesale, you'd probably have a pile of equipment that retails in the 5 digit range.  If any manufacturers could help out and sell stuff at cost or at least lower than usual, it would go even further.  

Well this is sounding a lot better now I wondered for awhile. So count me in for at least 50.00 for now. As far as getting the speakers we do not need to know how much they cost it could be a blind sale. Such as get the money to a person and they deal with the company and not reveal what they cost. You never know Klipsch might even donate a pair to the cause. I think a 20 year worker deserves something right.

I would like to try to get a receiver with it so who ever gets it is good to go. Have the employees who are interested in it sign up so at least it will be appreciated.

New speakers and new receiver would be ideal but may be hard to pull off but I bet we can do it.

• Like 1

Why don't we start giving, and then make a decision after we see how much money we have?

If we're doing this for next year I don't see the need to start writing checks just yet, but just to get the ball rolling, I'll commit to a minimum of $100 on my part, probably more if I'm feeling generous nearly a year from now, plus if applicable, will sell any related equipment I can get such as amps at cost for the cause, like if you wanted to put together usable systems.  

Probably doesn't sound like much, but if every attending forum member (not even counting guests) chipped in that amount then bought stuff at wholesale, you'd probably have a pile of equipment that retails in the 5 digit range.  If any manufacturers could help out and sell stuff at cost or at least lower than usual, it would go even further.  

Well this is sounding a lot better now I wondered for awhile. So count me in for at least 50.00 for now. As far as getting the speakers we do not need to know how much they cost it could be a blind sale. Such as get the money to a person and they deal with the company and not reveal what they cost. You never know Klipsch might even donate a pair to the cause. I think a 20 year worker deserves something right.

I would like to try to get a receiver with it so who ever gets it is good to go. Have the employees who are interested in it sign up so at least it will be appreciated.

New speakers and new receiver would be ideal but may be hard to pull off but I bet we can do it.

I think we need to get a receiver also, it needs to be a complete playable system. 

• Moderators

Just let me know when y'all do it so I can be up there the next day to buy it off craig's list.

What's it going to run? 1,000 for speakers, another thousand for the system. Just a hunch, I bet they would rather have you put that money together for a scholarship or two for their kids.

They are offered deep discounts on Klipsch products of various sorts and types, I think they have to sign an agreement that they won't sell it before a certain amount of time has expired.

Tremendous gesture, sincerely, but I would think you would want to know what they really want. Who do you have there, that is NOT in management, who can find out what they would really like? Whether it is a product made in Hope, headphones, ear buds, CASH, scholarship, etc.

Are all employees elegible? Management and non-management? Just speaker "builders." Do they have to be there a minimum amount of time, or could they have started the day before?

I think it should go to the person who can eat the most ribs (cooked by Rodney) in ten minutes.

• Like 2

DWI : has a good idea find out what they really would rather have. I just came to the conclusion of speakers after talking with 4 of the employees. Some may not want speakers at all.

I had assumed they would have to agree not to be able to sell it after getting it.

How about print up a flyer with the question on it with 3 or 4 options on it and see what gets the most votes.

Good points DWI, they might want the cash more to pay some bills.

When someone mentioned that many of the employees had never listened to the speakers they're making, that seemed a little strange to me. If you work for a company that makes a world class product, wouldn't you be interested in the product enough to give it a try? Maybe it's like the old saying that a mailman doesn't want to go for a walk after work. Maybe a little research needs to be done first, especially before money is transferred.

• Like 1

A noble gesture indeed!  Once a concrete plan is in place, count me in...

However, I liken this to a very simple thought, right or wrong IDK. 

- If I worked at the BMW manufacturing plant I would continue to arrive in my beloved hot rod Subaru.  I have zero interest in a "stylish" Beamer.  If I wanted one, I'd buy one.   Very simple, just because BMW is my 9-5 has zero influence on what I choose to drive.  Now, if I worked at the Subaru plant I guarantee you I'd be knocking down doors to be one of the first in line for a 2017 WRX hatch.

Simply, if I worked at the Klipsch plant and wanted a speaker, I'd have one. 

IMO, looking into what the employees may really want is key.  Yes, lets do something for them, make it count...

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 2

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS201/Yamaha-R-S201.html?tp=47041 I would be happy to go in half on this as a start to the idea. Seems it would be a good start to little system.

More than I started with ,,,I had a Sony receiver and Koss pro4aa headphones for 2 years no speakers at all.

Edited by ricktate

When someone mentioned that many of the employees had never listened to the speakers they're making, that seemed a little strange to me. If you work for a company that makes a world class product, wouldn't you be interested in the product enough to give it a try? Maybe it's like the old saying that a mailman doesn't want to go for a walk after work. Maybe a little research needs to be done first, especially before money is transferred.

Let's put that emotional statement in perspective too, even Roy told me he has never heard any of the Reference Premiere products, but as you saw in the other thread, there are palettes full of the things at Hope.  If somebody really wanted to hear something, they probably could.  I don't mind contributing to something like this, but let's be realistic here.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

My rememberance of walking the production line, these workers are very good wood workers, they worry about the corners fitting perfect, a little off and they go into fix mode to make it

perfect. I don't mean to be mean, but they care about the wood and how it fits together and HOW IT LOOKS. The sound, I am not sure that is what they are about. They are glad we are

so pumped up about the companies product, but I don't think you guys know the values of living in a city like HOPE and the surrounding areas. A lot of these guys drive a good distance

to work at the plant. Why not just give them money, that is what they are there for, really.

Gas money. Good idea rummy. One thing we do not want to do is buy Klipsch speakers for them with MADE IN CHINA on the bottoms. That limits things a lot, and doesn't really leave anything for a receiver etc. If we aren't going to consider used (which we all do anyway) then I vote for cash divided 10 ways equally. If we come up with a grand, that's ten $100 gifts from the forum.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I spoke with Jim Hunter about this today. He said in the past, time spent in the listening room was part of new employee orientation. He also said that Klipsch does have an "Employee of the Year". He is going to contact Human Resources to find out what employee incentatives, training, awards, etc are currently in place for the Hope facility. He and I discussed the possibility of forum members coordinating our efforts with whatever programs HR may have in place.

Music improves my productivity. Studies have been done that prove that it does in others too. There are no OSHA regs on it as long as the music isn't too loud. I like to turn my LaScala's on full mono and listen to a radio station that plays hits from the 70's and 80's. It isn't loud, and it is a hell of a lot better than when I don't have it on.

I will be surprised if anybody here would disagree. We are a bunch of music lovers. Even people who aren't can have a better life if it is included, and who knows, they may actually become music lovers like we are. next thing you know they will be loggin on to the Klipsch forums.   :)

I would disagree, but gently and with an explanation.

It's not MY love of music that would be a problem, but other people's choices.  In my previous high stress office if it were up to me, I would choose something quiet and soothing for lunch music but I am sure others would choose louder and more upbeat music that would not allow me to relax during my lunch break.

There was even a woman who would sing loud enough during work near my cubicle to be bothersome.  She had a beautiful voice, but it drove me nuts and I could not concentrate.  My boss (state gov't office) warned me not to talk to her about it, as she seemed to to think if I complained that could be construed as "sexual harassment."   So I just dropped the crazy idea that she shouldn't sing while I was trying to make phone calls or concentrate on my work.  I just started wearing noise-cancelling headphones and kept my  mouth shut.

I realize that we here are all music lovers and we would like to give the gift of music because it means so much to us, but as we are finding out, once we try to figure out how that would work, the devil is in the details.

Edited by wvu80