Forum members doing something for plant workers

ricktate

The problem with speakers in break room. Typically factory workers get 10 min. breaks and maybe 30 min. lunch. So you have to use this time for bathroom, heating' food, eating, smoking if they smoke, etc. Then there is the fighting over what to listen to its just not a good idea for the break room. I have worked in factories all my life and to be appreciated is not on the list of management.

I agree a whole system would be best there are new stereo receiver's for around 150.oo.

True they do have a listening room there but my guess is they don't allow the employees in there much if at all.

I use to work at a place where we had to do 12 hour shifts 6am to 6pm. At first we got breaks at 8,10.12,2,4 . But it has been cut down this now 9,12,3 now. If you have never done factory work for 12 hours let me tell you its not easy.

Yea some people are not into audio at all but the ones that are would appreciate being recognized for making one of the best speakers in the world.

With all the members we have doing this once a year should be no problem besides being the right thing to do for them I would feel awesome to be able to tell them we all love what they do everyday.

• Like 1

Forget the break room - no one would even bother with it. Most prefer television while eating.

Focus on Bluetooth/small personal systems. Buy a half dozen, and raffle them off at the plant next year.

• Like 1

The point was to get them a speaker they actually make.....I have always worked at low wage jobs and affording Klipsch was just a dream for many years. This day and age affording them on todays wages is even more unlikely. I think it is the least we could do since many of us have several speakers in our own houses. But I can see there is not a whole lot of support for this by the lack of posts. I might try to this on my own because it needs to be done.

• Like 1

I am not sure there is no support. I think we are just throwing out ideas as to how best to follow up on the original idea. I do not know if Klipsch is a low wage employer, but assuming that they are, perhaps the best idea is to collect stuff during the year and present it next year at the picnic. That would ive us time to put gifts together and give it to employees during the luncheon.

Just a thought

• Like 1

How many employees are there?

How about 3-5 systems, speakers, amp or receiver, wiring, maybe a cd player. Put all their names in a hat and draw out the winner's names. Each winner would get a complete system, just plug and play. They really do not have to be new speakers, just as long as they're in good condition. I will say an average of $500-$700 for each system. Maybe members could donate stuff, or cash. 

It would take a pretty good amount of work for whoever wants to lead this endeavor, having things shipped to them, storage, then delivery.

After talking to Walter I think his name was....and he told me he has never even heard the K-Horns I felt really bad. Rick

I'd love to help out with this any way I can, and I'm actually in a position that I can do so, but if a Hope plant employee has never heard k-horns, I mean, there's a pair set up permanently in the listening room isn't there? I'd consider this a training issue that management ought to do something about if there's people who for 20 years have worked within a 30 second walk to a pair of finished and set up speakers that they help build and have never heard them but want to.

Totally agree with this. It is just beyond my comprehension that those folks that are building the speakers have never even heard them… And, from what I understand there are only approximately 45 folks that work in the plant.

• Like 1

When Paul owned the company, nearly all the employees owned a pair. My memory may be faulty, but Heresy were $180 a pair for employees when they retailed for $700/pair. Employees could buy one pair a year. Employees nearly always started out with Heresy, then sold them for what they could buy La Scala or Cornwall for. Typically, about $400. Then, if they had the room for it, sold the next pair for K-horns. I know a lot has changed in ownership over the years, but it seems sad that employees no longer own the product they make. I remember how the Klipsch employee parking lot had a lot of Mercedes and BMW's in it. They paid the employees very well compared to other jobs in Hope.

Just an old memory of how things used to be. Oh, and supervisors and up had keys to the listening room. I spent a lot of nights on the couch in the listening room with Mac gear and K'-horns with a Belle in between. 

• Like 2

I wonder if they would sell us a pair of Heresy's at cost with the provision they be given to an employee in a raffle.

I used to build lawnmower engines at a Briggs and Stratton factory.  Whenever there was a B-stock item come up (like the engine that my wife dropped from a 5’ height) they would sell it to the employees at cost, not just wholesale.  We could get a nice brand new but slightly blemished lawnmower engine for dirt cheap and the employees were quite excited to get them.  They just monitored and limited these purchases so that people wouldn’t resell them as a side job.  Wonder if there’s any kind of program like that here or if they’d be open to one.  

Many good ideas with the best intentions. I say we go for it. But like several have said for many people it is just a job, they are making speakers and may care less. They have no interest in the history of Klipsch or PWK. They are there for a weekly paycheck. And I am glad the plant has remained open and keeps many employed.

And to add that the employees can't afford the product made by there own hands, think about it. I know I can't afford a new pair of KHorns or LaScallas and how many forum members buy new Heritage? Safe to say a small %. This is and always be the dilemma of the factory worker. How many German factory workers building MB, BMW and the like are buying what they build?

I say it's a noble effort to pursue.

Just playing devil’s advocate here with myself I guess, but a severely discounted employee program like I previously mentioned can actually backfire.  This is supposedly what happened at the now defunct E. A. Burgin pool table factory in Tennessee.  Some factory workers figured out just how cheap they can make stuff but couldn’t keep their mouth shut.  Word got around and the perceived value dropped, they very quickly went from being seen as a viable high quality alternative to Olhausen that world class players such as Paul Gerni were happy to play on (I bought one that he custom ordered), to being perceived as a bargain basement cheaply made product.  They should have expanded but instead they had to close down, just couldn’t recover.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

After talking to Walter I think his name was....and he told me he has never even heard the K-Horns I felt really bad. Rick

I'd love to help out with this any way I can, and I'm actually in a position that I can do so, but if a Hope plant employee has never heard k-horns, I mean, there's a pair set up permanently in the listening room isn't there? I'd consider this a training issue that management ought to do something about if there's people who for 20 years have worked within a 30 second walk to a pair of finished and set up speakers that they help build and have never heard them but want to.

yes this! how in the heck do these guys not know about the listening room? i mean what is the point of that room? they ought to be taken in there on their first day of work before starting on the floor. how could one ever be proud of something when they have no idea what they are creating? shame on klipsch for running things like this

First of all, we don't know what we don't know about the inner workings and programs at the factory or at corporate.  Secondly, there is no doubt in my mind that with only 45 employees at the plant, and a good number that have been there for quite some time, that there isn't a pretty darn good idea of the "cost" of every single item made.  So really, I seriously doubt that many are in the dark, and if they are, I'd guess that they really don't care anyway.  

It's not any of my business what the company does or doesn't do regarding discounts, etc.  That's not what this thread is supposed to be about.  I totally agree with richieb that it's a noble effort for those of us who can afford or want to contribute to do so, purely out of gratitude and respect.  Period.

• Like 2