Chorus or Cornwall?

Hello All.

I have a chance to trade my chorus 1's

for a pair of Cornwall verticals.

I love the way my chorus sound...

but I've always wanted a pair of Cornwall.

Plus... These are 1970 models and they are in good condition.

Being that I have no complaints on my chorus,

without hearing the Cornwalls I'm a little scared to do the trade, because I might not like the sound of them in comparison to the speakers I currently have.

Any insights or info on

early 70's Cornwall verticals would be

much appreciated.

• Like 1

I have Chorus lls that I liked better than a pair of hotrodded Cornwalls or any Cornwalls that I have heard...that said, the Cornwall verticals may sound a touch different than regular Cornwalls because of the placement of the components inside the box...

No matter what, it shouldn't be too hard to sell Cornwalls if yo didn't find you liked them as much as your Chorus'...

I preferred the balance between the Tweeter, Mid and Woofer on my Chorus ll to the bass heavy sound I hear with Cornwalls...it seems to my ear that the mids on Cornwalls (even the llls) lose a bit of midrange clarity, overpowered by the bass...but that's my ears...

Good luck with your choice...

Bill

Edited by silversport

Jweber & Silversport, thanks for your advice.

I have the chorus 1's, ported in the front, no passive radiator in the back.

Right now, my setup is:

NAD 3120 integrated amplifier (Hot Rod version of the NAD 3020)

&

Klipsch Chorus.

It's a very smooth sounding combo,

And I don't feel as if I'm lacking anything

sound quality wise.

I've had all kinds of amps and receivers

In my system, and I've done A/B comparisons with all of them against the little 20 watt per channel NAD, and as of yet, nothing has de-throned this little monster.

I've tried Harman/Kardon "twin" 430 & 730,

Marantz 2230, 1060, 2250, 2240,

Creek 4240, Adcom 535 (with 555 pre),

and Linn LK-1 (with matching power amp?)...

They ALL sound great in their own way,

But I'm a vinyl junkie, and the combination of this simple NAD amp section, with this "Giant Killer" phono stage built-in, is absolutely magical with klipsch speakers.

In some cases for example, the marantz 1060 integrated amp sounded amazing with klipsch,

(A little better than the NAD, in my opinion)...

But the phono stage in the marantz was the deal breaker for me, because the phono section in the NAD beat it by a lot.

I listen to vinyl mostly,

and the phono stage in this little NAD amp

is absolutely awesome.

The H/K twin receivers also sounded great,

and seemed as if they were made to go with klipsch... But again, the phono stage in the H/K receivers were not as good as the marantz was!

For once in this seemingly never ending quest for audio nirvana, I'm content with my system.

(as content as I've been, anyway)

But, here is my dilemma...

The Cornwalls that I'm able to trade for

look absolutely amazing!

I know that the sound is more important than the look, but if I do the trade deal, and get these Cornwalls, my next step would be to replace my beloved NAD 3120 with (affordable) vintage McIntosh amplification like a 6100 or a 4100.

(As soon as my budget allows).

I've never owned a pair of Cornwall,

Or any McIntosh gear, and putting this setup together would be a childhood dream of mine.

There's just something so magical

about classic McIntosh with Klipsch heritage series speakers. It's retro Americana that sounds astounding while looking like a million bucks in your living room!

But am I sacrificing sound that I'm content with, just for the aesthetics?

I guess, worst case scenario, I could always sell the Cornwalls if I don't like them,

and go back to Chorus or Forte, which I'm familiar with, so it's not really a big deal.

But my gut feeling tells me I will not be dissspointed... I think?

Haven't heard the version one Chorus' myself but I can vouch for the Cornwalls, they are awesome speakers. The best way I can describe them is they have a big presence, they kind of remind me of the K-horns in that regard. I don't know how much of an upgrade they'll be over your Chorus, but the best way to find out is give them a try! And I'm sure if you're unhappy with them, ( which I doubt you will be ) you can easily sell them and get some Chrous back like you mentioned.

The only pair of Klipsch that I have sold was my Cornwalls. Not that I didn't like em... I just had so much gear. I have Chorus I's and II's and I just liked there sound over the Cornwalls. 

IMHO the Chours kill the Cornwalls when it come to bass..... I'm kinda a power junkie and I feed lots of Carver power to those Chorus.

I still get to visit my Cornwalls.... I sold them to a friend of mine.... and if he ever sells them I get 1st shot at em ;) 

Good luck with your Cornwall/Mcintosh combo..... Hey, that's what this hobby is all about... playing with new stuff...

MKP :-)

• Like 2

I have heard both but not at the same time and about 25 years apart, so I cannot compare with any authority but can state both sounded great. The Chorus were introduced to replace the Cornwall (as legend has it), but the Cornwalls survived and the Chorus did not. I usually recommend not changing if you are satisfied but then you go and throw in "bucket list" and my answer changes to "go for it". You may want to hold off on the sale of the Chorus so you can AB them and keep the ones you like (which may be all of them). It's fun either way in my opinion. I don't think you can go wrong! Welcome to the madness!

• Like 1

MKP, I got to visit my old Cornwalls back in the day. I sold them (and installed them) in a bar a buddy of mine owned. People always asked him about those great speakers. It was early 80's and ebay or craigslist had not been invented and new was out of my budget, so they were very hard to find, but I did.

• Like 1

Well, it's actually a trade deal,

And I won't be able to hear the Cornwalls with my amp in my room until after the deal is done

Because of the logistics of getting my speakers to him, and getting his back to my house.

That's what makes it scary.

If I could A/B test, there'd be no worries.

Yeah, I've been down this road before,

As I'm sure most of us have.

And yes, trying new stuff out is part of this hobby for sure.

Sometimes the hunt is more exciting than the capture.

But I've been into this hobby since I was 14 years old... I'm 42 now. So, I've got a pretty solid idea of how this deal will work out.

I think I'll be happy with the cornie's,

and that will spark a quest for other amplification.

I personally would not make the trade-- I'm in the Seattle area and have been waiting / watching patiently for a pair of Chorus 1's and or original HIP's for over a year now without any luck. I've probably seen 6-8 pairs of Cornwalls come and go in that time. You have to ask yourself, why is the other party wanting trade? :huh:

• Like 1

I think the Chorus speaker beats the Cornwall easily. Tighter bass, better WAF. They are the only series I would take (from the heritage, semi-heritage series) over my LaScalas... except maybe khorns.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 3

There are two reasons for the proposed trade,

WAF, and Lack of space.

My instincts tell me that a vertical Cornwall in it's original state, but working properly, will probably not sound as fast or tight as the chorus.

If I end up doing the trade,

Part of my plan is to do the crites bolt-on mods (all of them eventually), caps, tweets, mids.

maybe look into extra batting or other in-cabinet material for possible improvement there...

And cosmetically, I'd really like to remove the old grill cloth, and put some cane (or ?) material on it, with the newer klipsch logo at the top center.

Then, just add the riser bases... And enjoy!

• Like 1