Sold! - La Scalas for sale

SkipBrannigan

As I have had a lot of views but fewer offers I am now asking $1500 for the pair OBO. If your reply to this thread does not get an answer right away please be patient - I will do my best to sift through the many offers! :D

Hello members. This is my first attempt at posting to the garage sale so please be gentle. I am the original owner of a pair of black finish La Scalas purchased from an authorized dealer. I bought them in 1994 and have enjoyed them ever since. They were floor models when I got them and already had a few deep scratches on the tops. I have since moved them 3 times so they have acquired a few normal nicks here and there. They have AL-3 crossovers. Everything on them is original. I am only selling them so I can replace them with the more aesthetically pleasing La Scala IIs. I am asking $1800 and local pick-up. I am located in Reston, VA which is about 15 miles NW of DC. I can audition them as well.

post-20465-0-25360000-1463954051_thumb.j

post-20465-0-64920000-1463954067_thumb.j

post-20465-0-06480000-1463954091_thumb.j

post-20465-0-60520000-1463954114_thumb.j

post-20465-0-02840000-1465664986_thumb.j

post-20465-0-59360000-1465665013_thumb.j

post-20465-0-26080000-1465665026_thumb.j

post-20465-0-65640000-1465665042_thumb.j

post-20465-0-77440000-1465665056_thumb.j

Edited by SkipBrannigan

They look very nice,

As you are new to the Forum, you can do a search in "Garage Sale" and see how others have priced their LaScalas and see how long they were listed. Of course, where you live makes a big difference. For example, Chicago seems to be a hot bed for sales (but that is only because Opus buys up everything.)

GLWS

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with sale. If you want to hear some Khorns some time, I'm off of South Lakes between the gold course and the high school.

I'm afraid if I hear Khorns I'll start planning the sale of my LSIIs for another upgrade.

Edited by SkipBrannigan
  • Like 1

Good luck with sale. If you want to hear some Khorns some time, I'm off of South Lakes between the gold course and the high school.

I'm afraid if I hear Khorns I'll start planning the sale of my LSIIs for another upgrade.

Hey I was just curious I know you said you upgraded to the La Scala II's because they are aesthetically nicer but in terms of sound quality how do they compare to the originals, any difference? 

Hey I was just curious I know you said you upgraded to the La Scala II's because they are aesthetically nicer but in terms of sound quality how do they compare to the originals, any difference? 

I'll let you know once I hook them up.  Because of my room size I have room to connect only one set of La Scalas and I have kept the old ones in the system so potential buyers can hear them.  The La Scala IIs are behind my listening chair.  If nothing else they are certainly beautiful and for the money I paid, as long as they sound as good as the LS their looks alone are worth it to me.

• Like 1

Aaron, not sure if you saw my reply saying I was waiting to connect the LSIIs until I sold the LSIs.  But you know, if you bought these La Scalas I would be able to do the comparison that much quicker....

• Like 1

I have been listening to the new La Scala IIs for a week now. The first difference I noticed was the weight. I used to think my La Scalas were heavy but many times I hauled them up and down stairs by myself. With these I needed help just getting the bass bins over my front stoop. As for sound I have to agree with what I have seen written before, the bass seems to be a little tighter. It might be my imagination but they seem to image maybe a little bit better than the La Scala I. Despite the perceived improvements, I would say the original La Scala sounds almost as good. Sound-wise I think anyone buying a pair of used original La Scalas is getting a hell of a bargain. Having said that, I am happy with my La Scala IIsas IIs as I love the finished look of the walnut over the original black finish. I have no regrets over the upgrade.

I have been listening to the new La Scala IIs for a week now. The first difference I noticed was the weight. I used to think my La Scalas were heavy but many times I hauled them up and down stairs by myself. With these I needed help just getting the bass bins over my front stoop. As for sound I have to agree with what I have seen written before, the bass seems to be a little tighter. It might be my imagination but they seem to image maybe a little bit better than the La Scala I. Despite the perceived improvements, I would say the original La Scala sounds almost as good. Sound-wise I think anyone buying a pair of used original La Scalas is getting a hell of a bargain. Having said that, I am happy with my La Scala IIsas IIs as I love the finished look of the walnut over the original black finish. I have no regrets over the upgrade.

Thanks for the update, pretty much what I thought you were going to say in terms of sound. The new ones are much heaiver, they weigh 175lb a piece as opposed to the old ones weighing about 125 if I am not mistaken. The reason mainly is because they switched from 3/4 inch wood to 1 inch thick. 

I would love to purchase, but the two main issues are I am really only looking for one as a center as I do have a pair right now as mains and the second issue is we are pretty far apart. I am in CT and it looks like your in VA and to ship those things would be extremely expensive. 

Thanks for the update, pretty much what I thought you were going to say in terms of sound. The new ones are much heaiver, they weigh 175lb a piece as opposed to the old ones weighing about 125 if I am not mistaken. The reason mainly is because they switched from 3/4 inch wood to 1 inch thick. 

I would love to purchase, but the two main issues are I am really only looking for one as a center as I do have a pair right now as mains and the second issue is we are pretty far apart. I am in CT and it looks like your in VA and to ship those things would be extremely expensive.

I understand. I wish I had the room to keep them. They would be perfect for a theater room. I drove to CT to get the LSIIs but it was quite a trip. I had been looking for them for a few years and the price was too good to pass on. Someone will eventually see these as "must haves."

I understand. I wish I had the room to keep them. They would be perfect for a theater room. I drove to CT to get the LSIIs but it was quite a trip. I had been looking for them for a few years and the price was too good to pass on. Someone will eventually see these as "must haves."

Are you the one that bought those la scala II's that were for sale here on this forum a while back that were located in CT?