Question for everybody: Interested in Custom Heritage Speakers?

Chad

• Administrators

Hey all,

We have been quite pleased with the overwhelming success of the limited run of 70th Anniversary edition Heresy and Klipschorns. So much so that I've been told to ask you all about your thoughts on possible future "custom" Heritage speakers. We're talking strictly cosmetics here - finishes and grilles. 

What finish / grille combo(s) would you love to see and be interested in for the Khorn / Heresy III / Cornwall III / La Scala II?

I'll be compiling this thread and handing it over to key decision makers sometime soon. We are just gauging interest for now, so let's hear it! 

Oh yeah, these of course would be built in Hope just like always.

Thanks!

• Like 8

I agree, walnut, cane, blonde grills.  I like the zebra wood and cane.  Tigerman has some of the nicest looking pairs of Khorns.  If remember correctly, they are Mahogany and some sort of silver tone grill cloths.   I would say anything vintage looking.

• Like 1

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the current 70th anniv. wood.  To each his own I know, but I think it's too much in your face, which may have been the intent anyway.  I prefer a more muted, but nicely figured walnut, or darker cherry.  I will admit though, a birdseye maple would be very interesting....

Rosewood

Tiger Maple

I think custom finishes are important at the level of the Heritage series. Many high-end companies have custom finishes available and something a lot of people look for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My vote on the veneer:

1. top grade flamy maple.  That stuff is harder to find with veneer as opposed to a solid block of wood, but it's available.  Even normal maple would be nice.  

2. KOA.  I bought a ukulele just because I like the wood grain so much.  

3. Australian cypress.  flooring made out of this stuff is gorgeous.  

4. Something that is naturally two toned and rustic, like a bunch of funk nasty heartwood such as hickory.  

5. for an ultra-rare run, Brazilian rosewood.  Hard to get and expensive, but it's out there.  It's a protected species with some weird laws, can't just find this stuff at Lowes.  

• Like 1

Go back and see all the finishes available in the late '70's. They should be available again. I am sure sales would increase. Not all the veneers are available any longer, but the lure of Klipsch was not just the sound, but the custom touches one could add to THEIR speakers!

• Like 1

My favorite Klipschorn of all-time is the 50th Anniversary model.  I know there are some that didn't care for the looks, but I love it.  I almost bought a pair about 12 years ago but was about 30 minutes too late -- somebody else got them!  I've still got my eyes open but with only 50 pairs made, my odds don't look good.  I've read that most are likely in Asia by now.

I'd suggest something less heavy handed.  The dramatically figured veneers is like having a zebra or escaped convict in the room.

Does any other furniture in use get this wild?

Cane or linen with lacewood would be a nice option.

OTOH, I'm waiting for someone to remake the face of a K-Horn in the pattern of the elevator doors in the Chrysler Building which also appears in Mr. Selfridge.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0LEVyyCtENXH_cA_3lXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyMjdoMW11BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjE3MjJfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=Elevator+Doors+Chrysler+Building&fr=yset_ie_syc_oracle-s

WMcD

• Chad locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic