Question for everybody: Interested in Custom Heritage Speakers?

Chad

handing it over to key decision makers sometime soon

If I could get a pair of factory stock LS II with this grill format in Cherry, I would likely consider a second mortgage :P

attachicon.gif2pair (Medium).jpg

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

This! The finishes and grille designs look incredible here.

Offering custom finishes and grilles would be an awesome direction for Klipsch, I think. Speakers are a style choice for a lot of people nowadays; in a world where they're becoming increasingly small and awful, big speakers can be a real interior design statement. Offering customs makes a lot of sense. It would probably also help to set new speakers apart from what's available on the used market.

You may want to count mine as half a vote since I'm not quite near being able to buy myself a new pair of Heritage speakers, but I'll be all the more eager for the day if I can have a unique design. 

• Like 1

I would vote for the old cane grill.  I would like the option of purchasing cane replacement grills for LSIIs.  I think the current black is boring.   For what it's worth, I love the anniversary logo also.  As for veneer I like the Australian Walnut but certainly understand keeping that limited to the anniversary offerings.  I would be upset if I paid the premium for the limited edition veneer only to have it offered later for much less.

• Like 1

I'll second (third/fourth??) the idea of making a Jubilee that is cosmetically designed for home decor.  The "beauty panel" is likely not enough to get past most WAF criteria but some have been able to pull it off. Something like that image of the original Jubilee that PWK is seen with would work.  Something would need to be done with the 402 -- maybe just a "top hat" type of enclosure with grill cloth would do.  Another idea, how about a KPT-904 in similar home-use decor?  It's small enough to be considered for home use.

But beyond all this, there is one thing that really needs to be done more than any cosmetic improvements -- people who have never heard this stuff need to be able to hear them before they buy them.  Are there any dealers left that have Klipschorns, Cornwalls, or La Scalas on the showroom floor properly set up and ready to audition?  It has been many, many years since I have seen any.  I can't remember the last time I saw some in a store -- maybe 20 years ago.  The newer generations know sound through earbuds and an iPhone.  They have no idea what they are missing.  Those that want something better and have interest in Heritage have to rely on word-of-mouth to first find out about them and then make a leap-of-faith when purchasing.  That is not easy to do when the prices are in the thousands of dollars.  Attending gatherings and audio fests are helpful, but they only reach a minuscule percentage of the population.  I have attended the Mid-west Audio Fest, Rocky Mountain Audio Fest,  Lone Star Audio Fest and never saw a single Klipsch product at any of them.  Something to think about if Klipsch is really interested in increasing sales of this product line.

• Like 5

People mention a lot of fine woods that have been used for guitars. Brazilian Rosewood, besides being extremely expensive, most of what is left for export are the stumps that were left from original harvesting. The most popular rosewood available is Indian Rosewood, highly sustainable and rather readily available. It is grown in India as a windbreak on tea plantations, so is regularly harvested.

My '91 Taylor looks similar to my '63 Martin D-28, the Taylor being Indian, the Martin being Brazilian. I know no longer have the Martin (it is in the care of a longtime high school friend and guitar playing buddy). Below is the back of my Taylor. Perhaps Schu could post a pic of his Martin...

Lots of nice woods out there. Burls are hard to work, as the grain turns all different directions, they can fall apart working with them.

Bruce

post-5045-0-70000000-1464353775_thumb.jp

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 2

Maybe we tend to focus on finishes a little too much, I am not too particular. What I would like to see is real wood, laminated (ply) or other. I

believe it should be done the old school way, like 70's and 80's Belles, Klipschorns, etc. Particleboard has it's places, maybe offer a line of

those also, but tradition is tradition.

• Like 1

handing it over to key decision makers sometime soon

If I could get a pair of factory stock LS II with this grill format in Cherry, I would likely consider a second mortgage :P

attachicon.gif2pair (Medium).jpg

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Schwing!!!!!  Say bye bye to the industrial look.  Those are sharp looking LaScalas.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

People mention a lot of fine woods that have been used for guitars. Brazilian Rosewood, besides being extremely expensive, most of what is left for export are the stumps that were left from original harvesting. The most popular rosewood available is Indian Rosewood, highly sustainable and rather readily available. It is grown in India as a windbreak on tea plantations, so is regularly harvested.

My '91 Taylor looks similar to my '63 Martin D-28, the Taylor being Indian, the Martin being Brazilian. I know no longer have the Martin (it is in the care of a longtime high school friend and guitar playing buddy). Below is the back of my Taylor. Perhaps Schu could post a pic of his Martin...

Lots of nice woods out there. Burls are hard to work, as the grain turns all different directions, they can fall apart working with them.

Bruce

Here's mine, pretty sure it is a 91 model. Alvarez Yairi, Bob Weir signature model, hand made in Japan. Cedar top and rosewood back, real wood binding. It was found on a junk shelf stripped down at a music store in Nashville and restored by a friend of mine who builds custom guitars from scratch, I have one of his that was made from a local walnut tree. Very warm, this guitar doesn't know how to be bright, probably due to the cedar.  Anyway, it's not nearly as pronounced as brazilian rosewood.  

IMG_4267_zpsy9zenezg.jpg

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Nice! I don't know, I think most of the older Brazilian is not going to have the extreme variation that some folks want these days.

Btw, most people don't know that most ebony isn't totally black and is dyed to make it consistent.

Bruce

I really like Andy's "Fire" heresy's. I would buy that in a heart beat the decorator series coupled with the pro series grilles does it for me.

I have had no trouble dealing with the visual of them for almost 40 years now...LOL!

Build me a pair lol.

I'll second (third/fourth??) the idea of making a Jubilee that is cosmetically designed for home decor.  The "beauty panel" is likely not enough to get past most WAF criteria but some have been able to pull it off. Something like that image of the original Jubilee that PWK is seen with would work. 

This can already be done if someone is crafty with tools.

Here is PWK's version, partially denuded.  Note that it is a currently manufactured Jubilee under a skin of pretty stuff.  

post-12967-0-70160000-1464472061_thumb.j

• Like 2

I really like Andy's "Fire" heresy's. I would buy that in a heart beat the decorator series coupled with the pro series grilles does it for me.

I have had no trouble dealing with the visual of them for almost 40 years now...LOL!

Building them has it's privileges  :D  :D  :D 

Mark

• Moderators

Not a KHJ-DCR-402

Supposed to be custom, by folks in Hope. Limited ed front panel, ltdned. wood 502 RD Horn. No replacement horns available, no extras ones for parts, all signed by RD and guy hwo makes, them and numbered.

Cost no object on drivers.

That's never been available

I know you guys have seen these before. Forum member Cake selecting the Santos Rosewood and then the Belle. Just posting to add to the visuals of species.

post-19886-0-89360000-1464476153_thumb.j

post-19886-0-21600000-1464476167_thumb.j

post-19886-0-44000000-1464477353_thumb.j

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

• Chad locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic