Question for everybody: Interested in Custom Heritage Speakers?

Chad

Agree, it would be nice to see more veneers as a standard offering options, perhaps an up-charge to cover the cost of the veneer and a no return policy on custom orders. Custom with up-charge should be offered on all veneers with all Heritage Models.

All custom orders should probably drop ship to the customer just to keep cost under control, how the units get into the house and get installed IDK. Not sure I would want them left on the front door step, which is where UPS left all of my McIntosh gear after a factory tune up a few years ago.

Cane Grills seem to be a unanimous no brainer.

Rosewood (unobtanium?) and Mahogany are no brainers too.

I don't know what the run rate was on Oak, but it would match a lot of furniture as would Maple. Would it match enough to get spouse approval for a pair of K-Horns in the Living Room? IDK

I understand that some veneers are easier to work with, and then there is pricing and availability.

Grills: Cane or Regular

Veneers: Cherry, Walnut, Oak, Mahogany, Rosewood, Maple, and Teak which is easy to come by.

My 2 cents......

Mahogany re-veneer job on some Altecs in the UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uurmd66WiZQ

Veneer on line catalog, more than I knew existed

http://www.veneersupplies.com/categories/Raw__Wood__Veneer/Wood__Veneer__H__-__M/

Herzog seems easier to navigate, backed veneers is probably the ticket given the size of the speaker cabinets.

http://www.veneeronline.com/home.aspx

If Herzog and their products are good, there is no reason that any of the backed veneers couldn't be sold by Klipsch as customs with paid up front no return policy. Zebra wood might be the deal closer for some customers.

This is in the heart of furniture country, probably one of several veneer guys in the area.

Herzog Veneers, Inc.
2100 Dunmore Ct.
High Point, North Carolina 27263

Just curious what do y'all think of the silver luster grille cloth from the 70th Anniversary speakers?

70th-Anniversary-Klipschorn-4-forums.jpg

To me, it's just OK, not really all that special, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Edited by jimjimbo

Hey Alex, is the Klipschorn script emblem as you show on the above 70th photo available to purchase individually? Or must a complete Klipschorn be attached to it?! Thanks

Any way a Klipschhorn owner could purchase some of these Logo's ?

Sorry, they are not for sale nor do I think we have any plans to make them available since they're supposed to be for the special edition. Of course, that could always change. Right now, the floor manager keeps them locked up in his office at all times because they kept "walking away."

I usually have extra logos and stuff somewhere in my cube, but those lovely scripted logos aren't one of those things. Trust me, if we do have extras, I'm putting them on my Heresys. I love, love, LOVE the scripted logo.

Edited by Alex L
  • Like 1

Black is black on the Grills.

Cane looks great and photographs very well.

I can't tell if I like the silver cloth from a photo.

Why not offer all 3 standard as options????

In the era of mass customization, the i-phone wrappers etc come to mind, why not offer 3 grills, and lot of veneer options like buying a car or truck?

Given UPS and Fed-X etc how long could it take to get a veneer customer order from a vendor, 5 days max??

The backs on the K-Horns should be enclosed on all of them, it is long overdue. Altec did this on the 820a-c back in  1951 when the product was introduced.

My 2 cents

Edited by Bubo

Hey Alex, is the Klipschorn script emblem as you show on the above 70th photo available to purchase individually? Or must a complete Klipschorn be attached to it?! Thanks

Any way a Klipschhorn owner could purchase some of these Logo's ?

Sorry, they are not for sale nor do I think we have any plans to make them available since they're supposed to be for the special edition. Of course, that could always change. Right now, the floor manager keeps them locked up in his office at all times because they kept "walking away."

I usually have extra logos and stuff somewhere in my cube, but those lovely scripted logos aren't one of those things. Trust me, if we do have extras, I'm putting them on my Heresys. I love, love, LOVE the scripted logo.

It would be awesome if they became available. Thanks for the note Alex

I think you should only be allowed to purchase the logos and grill cloth used on the Anniversary speakers if you bought a pair. As an owner of a pair of 70th anniversary Khorns I should be able to buy replacement parts. But to sell them to people who did not purchase 70th anniversary speakers is not right. It is not protecting the integrity of the anniversary speakers. Frankly it is not fair to the people who paid a large premium to own a pair of anniversary Heresy or klipschorn speakers. If you want the badge or cloth then pony up and buy an anniversary pair of speakers.

post-63111-0-01780000-1464928109_thumb.j

Edited by Capt.Chaos
  • Like 2

I think you should only be allowed to purchase the logos and grill cloth used on the Anniversary speakers if you bought a pair. As an owner of a pair of 70th anniversary Khorns I should be able to buy replacement parts. But to sell them to people who did not purchase 70th anniversary speakers is not right. It is not protecting the integrity of the anniversary speakers. Frankly it is not fair to the people who paid a large premium to own a pair of anniversary Heresy or klipschorn speakers. If you want the badge or cloth then pony up and buy an anniversary pair of speakers.

Good points.

How much of the additional cost of the Anniversaries is the upgraded cloth, the upgrade veneer, the upgrade sealed rears? I'm guessing a lot given the cost of the veneers, cloth prices I have no idea.

The Special badges, are probably not much as any trophy shop can have them made and perhaps should remain unique as are your serial numbers.

As someone who has been in manufacturing my entire adult life, the product management, marketing, and sales side I am concerned with not only the survival of the Heritage line but it's continued success. I don't want the lines to go the way of the big Altecs and some other great audio products replaced by products where looks are put ahead of performance.

My two cents.

• Like 2

My vote on the veneer:

1. top grade flamy maple.  That stuff is harder to find with veneer as opposed to a solid block of wood, but it's available.  Even normal maple would be nice.  

2. KOA.  I bought a ukulele just because I like the wood grain so much.  

3. Australian cypress.  flooring made out of this stuff is gorgeous.  

4. Something that is naturally two toned and rustic, like a bunch of funk nasty heartwood such as hickory.  

5. for an ultra-rare run, Brazilian rosewood.  Hard to get and expensive, but it's out there.  It's a protected species with some weird laws, can't just find this stuff at Lowes.  

Koa is really good-looking, but I think there has been a ban on its export from Hawaii for several years now, because it's considered an endangered species at this time.

Agree with another member.  Just go back to the 70's when we had plenty of options when ordering the Heritage speakers.   Medium Oak was my first pair with Black grills..............

• Chad locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic